Linux extreme UI sluggishness
XBMCBuntu, XBMC 12.2, on a Core2Quad with 2GB RAM. 750GB HDD, Nvidia GTX285

I'm experiencing inexplicable UI slowdowns while using Aeon Nox skin.
Occaisionally the UI navigation slows down to a crawl, roughly 30 seconds to navigate up or down one entry. This seems to occur while navigating TV shows and Movies Library. (I don't do much navigation in the other areas, so not sure if it's isolated to that area. CPU usage is negligible during episode, TOTAL cpu usage in 'top' is ~8%. In about 20 minutes it seems the problem resolves itself.

I've removed guisettings.xml, effectively resetting the entire skin system, and upon switching back to Aeon Nox, and no other configuration, it happened again.

Lately xbmc is restarting instead of correcting, working on a crash log. I've switched back to Confluence to see if the problem continues. Any ideas I can try otherwise?
I know you said you removed guisettings.xml but have you tried actually uninstalling the skin and reinstalling. I have similar issues using Windows, it seems like after a period of time things start to get very sluggish and I uninstall the skin and just reinstall it. Also, have you tried using a different skin to rule out a possible issue with your build?

Memtest can rule out an issue with your ram, I would run it overnight just to be certain.
I had not uninstalled the skin, until just now. The plan was to install Nox from git, but it appears that git hasn't been updated in a while (at least 6 months), so I"m certain the package I get from XBMC's plugins manager will be as up to date as possible. I"m currently using Confluence, with 0 issues so far (Going on 48 hours now.)

I have not tested memory, and Ill run Memtest86+ now to be certain of RAM integrity.
Update:
While running Confluence, I had no issues navigating the UI at all. I switched back to Nox and within about 10 mins I had another 'episode'. I understand this is extremely hard to diagnose, but I'll do the best I can.

Memory was memtest86'd all night, with 0 errors.

XBMC doesnt completely lock up. It's EXTREMELY slow, to the point it takes 30 seconds or more to perform a simple ArrowUp. During this episode, Both xbmc.bin and Xorg are at 100% CPU usage (reported by 'top')
PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
1380 root 20 0 62564 41m 11m R 100.0 4.1 24:47.03 Xorg
2344 xbmc 20 0 378m 222m 46m R 100.0 22.2 61:12.93 xbmc.bin

htop screenshot:

I removed xbmc-bin that was included in XBMCBuntu, and compiled 12.2 from source. I even wiped out ~/.xbmc/

I'm sitting in the middle of an episode right now, debug xbmc.log is here:
http://coldfire.myftp.org/~fuxxy/xbmc.log

The last thing I did was exit from playing a video file from the library. Immediately before that, I had attempted to play a trailer (via the youtube plugin) of the same video file from within the 'info' screen of it's entry in the library..
One other thing I forgot to mention, although you probably already thought of this. Add-ons. I would uninstall any add-ons to rule them out as a culprit. I've had issues with add-ons making Nox sluggish. Also, can you think of anything that was done hardware or software wise around the time this started happening?

Have you tried installing the GIT version of Nox?
I didn't realize the Git version of Nox was any newer than what's on the XBMC repo.

I've disabled every addon and Nox still went super slow, I'm really at a loss. Is it normal for xbmc.bin to have 12 threads going at a time? That's something I've noticed in htop.

I've been experiencing the slowdowns the entire time I've ran Nox, However I only tried Nox after I went from Windows 7 on that box in favor of XBMCBuntu. I've ONLY ran Nox on Linux.
XBMC still crashed, with the version from git. (Splash screen says version 4.0, changelog says 4.1.9)

crash log is here: http://coldfire.myftp.org/~fuxxy/xbmc_cr...163940.log

I can't think of anything else I can do. Reinstalled with fresh Ubuntu desktop 13.10, compiled my own xbmc 12.2 from source, installed aeon nox from git.

Memtest86 ran for about 8 hours with 0 errors.

Disabled all addons that had the disable option
Still-enabled addons are:
The Movie Database; theaudiodb for music videos; Screensavers:black, dim, euphoria, plasma, solarwinds; Skin:Aeon Nox, Confluence; The TVDB; Visualization:OpenGL Spectrum, projectM, Waveform; Default Web Interface

I have a spare hard drive, I guess I could install windows 7 and throw the xbmc binary on to see if I have the same problem in Windows. If so, I guess I can chalk it up to my hardware.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
extreme UI sluggishness0