• 8(current)
OS X Problem with SMB protocol after updating to Mac OS Maverick
thnx again for staying with me wrextsy very much appreciated. :-)
finally got it working. It did not have to do anything with ports....i think....altough i did your terminal suggestions now so who knows......
I finally discovered what it was.
I always added two locations on separate hd s to the nfs in system prefs.
I have two satas in my mac pro. With one hd location all works fine but when I ad the second hd location , Nfs stops working correctly.

strangely the second hd does not get "all drs maproot 0.0" in the nfs system prefs .......
the second location gets this: " -mask 255.255.255.0 -maproot=nobody"
i have no clue what it means but the term "nobody" gives me an idea...:-)
i enabled read & write for the hd ......but that did not help.....
will try disk repair for my system. but the 2nd hd location is on a content only data hd in a separate sata slot.

any clues?

have the feeling i m almost there......:-) like i said i will not give up on this.:-)
I have two separate sharing Folder locations from my iMac as well, one is a folder on an External Thunderbolt drive.
in NFS manager both read:

-alldirs -maproot=0:0

I suspect you still have a permissions issue with the problem drive or folder, give disk utility - repair disk a go:

Check Sharing & Permissions has:

everyone - read/write

Then remove the problem Share in NFS manager and don't forget to hit Apply, then add it again using the guide.

NFS is low level file access, and thats why it bypasses the firewall on my setup.

If that is still a problem I suggest that another Folder is created on the problem drive and then move all your shared files into it and then add that folder as a share again in NFS Manager.
Are you sharing a folder or the entire drive on the problem one in question ?
Try Sharing folders only instead.

its been a while. ....

finally tackeled the issue. folderstrucre on one of my media disks.

anyway thnx for all your tips. wrctasy
Don't you hate it when it works out do be something simple !

Glad its all sorted.

Thanks it works well! I was just to stupid for the command line with the minus -N. For all that are as stupid as me. To Find it in finder just type in Terminal sudo nano /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist . It will show you the plist in the finder.

Then add the hole line : <string>-N</string> (where it belongs -> http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#Troubleshooting_NFS_on_OS_X)
press ctrl + o, press enter , press ctrl + x and you added the -N line. I thought my plist was broking because i thought you have to add just a - before the N. But it works just fine now.

It didnt worked on the first try for me so i just did what they said on the wiki site type into terminal (all at once).
sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist && \
sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist

It worked for me after. It took me like 6hours to figure out how stupid i was. and i tried many things in the Terminal. Hopefully it helps people who are as stupid as me Smile
Jeez sorry to hear, I just used NFS Manager for OSX and it took like maybe 7 minutes with point and click !

Did you use this guide: ?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1814794

(2015-01-04, 16:42)wrxtasy Wrote: Jeez sorry to hear, I just used NFS Manager for OSX and it took like maybe 7 minutes with point and click !

Yes i just had big Problems with the -N in the plist and was going crazy Smile the plist didnt show up in pathfinder, but the launchdeamons folder did. This coincident did atleast cost 2h of my life Rofl

But Thanks for your tut. The Nfs Manager Config ist really easy and really nice explained Smile
Hey do you have some Bugy too when using NFS? its just working sometimes for me!? Its really weird i just have to be Lucky xD Does anyone have the issues too? Does Anyone know how to fix them? :/
(2015-01-04, 16:42)wrxtasy Wrote: Jeez sorry to hear, I just used NFS Manager for OSX and it took like maybe 7 minutes with point and click !

Thanks for the guide, wasted half a day trying to access my mac from my new Pi using Samba, sorted in a few minutes using NFS ManagerBig Grin
Apple are very vigilant with their security protocols on every new release of OSX and each new version introduces incompatibilities with previous legacy SMB versions. It happened with OSX Mavericks and now Yosemite.
The really annoying thing is some users like me are finding sharing using SMB on Yosemite works after some tweaking and others cannot get it to work at all.

The only bullet proof solution is using NFS sharing or installing SMBUp that uses SMB1.

Summary:

I've discovered OS X: El Capitan's SMB works with XBMC Eden once more (for those users still using an old AppleTV or whatever that has Eden on it still). Meanwhile, NFS stopped working for some reason.

More detailed explanation:

I thought I'd mention this in case there are any other users using an old XBMC version (I'm using Eden on Gen1 ATVs to keep the original interface). With Mavericks (possibly Mountain Lion as well; I don't recall offhand), SMB stopped working in Eden (I know newer versions of Kodi fixed the SMB2 issue but I'm talking about Eden). I just upgraded from Mavericks to El Capitan and all of a sudden my NFS setup isn't working anymore (NFSD is running, but Eden can't find the shares for reasons unknown). So this lead me to look through the attached network drives again and all of a sudden SMB is working just fine with XBMC Eden once more (i.e. SMB3 on El Capitan must either work directly or automatically downgrade itself to SMB1 to work with Eden).

Basically, I have no idea why NFS isn't working since the upgrade, but OS X never did recognize that protocol as a sleep token to stay awake (i.e. if sleep was enabled, the computer would go to sleep even if XBMC was connected and using NFS on it). This will allow me to switch back to SMB and finally let my Mac go to sleep when not in use, but of course I'll have to redo all the meta data again (don't know of any way to change the protocol without wiping the meta data).
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Have you tried setting up NFS again? I remember when I upgraded to 10.10 I had to setup NFS once again. Since I have been using NFS I cannot imagine myself going back to Samba.
(2015-10-02, 15:25)stiwi Wrote: Have you tried setting up NFS again? I remember when I upgraded to 10.10 I had to setup NFS once again. Since I have been using NFS I cannot imagine myself going back to Samba.

The problem appears to be that Apple in their infinite wisdom decided to lock the system files (new "SIP" security feature) so that you cannot change them. The /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist file needs the -N option added to the NFSD start line so that non-root users (i.e. XBMC) can access NFS without being root. El Capitan changed my file back to the default and locked it. The only way to unlock it is to reboot from a recovery partition (my RAID based system has no recovery partition), turn SIP off (it can only be changed from there) and then change the file and then turn it back on again with another reboot to that partition (I suppose you could just leave it off, but that reduces system security). I'm going to have to create a boot USB stick or something and create a recovery partition on that instead (not sure if it changes the file on the boot drive or the USB stick, though).

I CAN get NFS working again by manually stopping the service in a shell (sudo nfsd stop) and then manually starting with the option (sudo /sbin/nfsd -N &) but I'd have to do it on every reboot unless I can find some utility or startup script (that isn't locked out) to automate that action at the very end or whatever. SIP also killed programs like Xtrafinder that modify system files to improve the Finder and what not and they need the same treatment to get them working again (it'd be nice if they'd just write their own replacement disk finder utility rather than modify Apple's, really).

On the other end, I do still have SMBuP installed, but it hasn't been run in ages and wasn't working without running it. SMB just seems to work again without running it so I'm assuming El Capitan's SMB3 automatically downgrades itself or has restored functionality or whatever to work again without my intervention on that end. Given some major programs (VMWare, iZotope to name two expensive) ones stopped working in El Capitan I'm not sure I want to keep it at this stage since those would cost a lot to update just to get a feature like "Metal" that doesn't have any game support yet anyway. But at some point, I'll have to deal with them either way I suppose.

Edit: After changing settings in Apple's own File Sharing, SMB stopped working so I guess it was defaulting to the SMBuP setup somehow. That worked OK, but it would often time-out as the external media drive spun-up and NFS never had that problem.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Have you tried deleting old NFS routes and try setting them up again? Look for NFS manager, it was just upgraded to 4.0 and it doesn't mention about NFS being an issue on El Capitan 10.11:
http://www.bresink.com/osx/143439/history.html

Maybe the way it needs to be setup changed a little bit but NFS Manager is point and click, it is also free. Can you give it a shot? I was about to upgrade to 10.11 but your post about broken NFS is holding me back.
NFS Manager is definitely not free according to their web site ($20), but it's free to try so I can see if it does anything in this version. I had no luck with it in Mavericks to get NFS working at all. I followed the WIKI instructions for XBMC (now KODI of course) instead and that worked fine. The ONLY thing keeping from working now is that the plist file no longer has the -N option in it (overwritten by default during El Capitan upgrade) and because that file is SIP locked, I cannot edit it.

Edit:

I tried to use NFS Manager. It doesn't work (just like last time). I can see that altering the share definitions results in it writing new entries in the /etc/exports file. OK, I did that manually before. But it still needs to run NFSD with the -N option or XBMC cannot use it (without running XBMC as root). I see no option anywhere in NFS Manger to tell NFSD to run with that option. Honestly, I think all it does is modify the required scripts for you and since the launch daemon is locked out with SIP, even if it had the option, it couldn't change it if it tried. If I'm missing something...oh well. I've spent over an hour playing with it as it is and I have to get some sleep.

Apparently, I can make a USB recovery drive or add it to my external backup boot drive and then boot into recovery, turn off SIP and then change that file back to have -N in it and then turn SIP back on and I'm golden (I can get Xtrafinder working while I'm at it). It has to be simpler than screwing around with NFS Manger. I've spent over an hour on it already and gotten exactly nowhere. It doesn't explain why there's a problem and I can only assume it's because there is no -N option (that stops it from working a manner that looks the same doing it the way I was doing it). XBMC is not run as root and so it cannot use NFS without the -N option.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with SMB protocol after updating to Mac OS Maverick0