• 5(current)
OS X Problem with SMB protocol after updating to Mac OS Maverick
@VonMagnum mind removing that howto? We have a sane howto in our wiki already. Just in case anything changes the wiki will get updates - your post won't and might result in further support because someone uses your "in that case" outdated instructions.

If your instructions differ in any way to what we have in the wiki - speak up or just change it your self in the wiki.

Thx.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Fixxed the problem using NFS Manager. I downloaded it from: http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

Tried the NFS guide, but it was to difficult to execute for me. (also with help from the wiki... i didn't understand)

Thanks guys for all the help and solutions!
(2013-11-18, 12:45)Memphiz Wrote: @VonMagnum mind removing that howto? We have a sane howto in our wiki already. Just in case anything changes the wiki will get updates - your post won't and might result in further support because someone uses your "in that case" outdated instructions.

If your instructions differ in any way to what we have in the wiki - speak up or just change it your self in the wiki.

Thx.

I removed the section and placed a link to the Wiki, but the post right after yours indicates it's too complicated (i.e. I was just trying to simplify down to the actual three basic steps required and avoid all the explanations and "whys" that make people think it's overly complex when it's really just adding -N to a file required by XBMC and creating a text file (exports) with the list of drives and then starting the system up with a command.

But then maybe any text editing is too complicated for some these days. I thought NFS Manager was pretty obtuse in its terminology (they should look at Apple's easy setup for sharing to see how 'simple' should look), but the biggest problem there was it didn't work and there was nothing to indicate that "privileged ports" had to be turned off. If it has to be off, WTF is it enabled by NFS Manger by default? I'm glad I didn't pay for it because it didn't work and it took me a fraction of the time to just do the three steps to manually enable it and I've had zero issues since. NFS behaves much better than SMBUp did with no time-outs as my media drive wakes from sleep. Overall, it's just better. And now I can leave Apple's SMB2 alone for use with other Macs and Windows machines.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Then we need to make the wiki more easy somehow. (i know its hard to read about stuff you don't have a clue about - but it makes perfectly sense to write it that way once you know what you are talking about Wink ).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I really wish Apple would get their act together on the SMB offerings.

Just want to add that I was back up and running using NFS manager in less than 20 minutes. The warnings on the NFS Manager site don't really apply for our purposes here.

For sharing, really all it does is write the /etc/exports file for you.

Also, I'm using OS X server and if you do this, and use NetBoot sets, those are also NFS shares. Don't delete or edit the ones you find because you'll probably break your server's netboot service. You can add shares either manually or with NFS Manager and they'll happily co-exist.
(2013-11-24, 03:47)majorsl Wrote: I really wish Apple would get their act together on the SMB offerings.

Frodo 12.3 works fine with Apple's SMB2 now as far I've used it (My gen1 AppleTVs still use Eden, though since I don't want to boot off a thumb drive right now). I still prefer NFS but Mavericks ignores NFS for going to sleep and so you either have to disable sleep or not use NFS. I have sleep disabled for now except for manual sleep. I've sent Apple feedback about this, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Heeeelp!

I was happily using NFS to share my files from my macmini to my atv2 with xbmc.
After upgrading to 10.9.2, its not working anymore.

In zeroconf, xbmc can see there is a NFS share in my mac, but when i chose the option, xbmc cant show the shares.

Tried with Frodo and an alpha from gothan (2 different atvs).

Also, I used timemachine to go back to 10.9.1, but NFS is still not working...
This, I really did not expected...
(2014-03-08, 12:44)cavamora Wrote: Heeeelp!

I was happily using NFS to share my files from my macmini to my atv2 with xbmc.
After upgrading to 10.9.2, its not working anymore.

In zeroconf, xbmc can see there is a NFS share in my mac, but when i chose the option, xbmc cant show the shares.

Tried with Frodo and an alpha from gothan (2 different atvs).

Also, I used timemachine to go back to 10.9.1, but NFS is still not working...
This, I really did not expected...

Have you tried SMB?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Trying a work around with macpprts and samba3. Its working, but need some more testing...
(2014-03-08, 17:00)cavamora Wrote: Trying a work around with macpprts and samba3. Its working, but need some more testing...

Ok. Just an FYI though, SMB is working fine with Mavericks using Frodo 12.3 or Gotham beta1. You may need to manually enter the ip of the source though.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Thanks for the info. I was trying with the name with no success...
(2014-03-08, 17:08)cavamora Wrote: Thanks for the info. I was trying with the name with no success...

The only problem I had getting it to work was that I had to use my full user name rather than the short name.
(2013-11-16, 12:56)stiwi Wrote: In OS X sharing settings, share direct path instead of volume. For example, if you have volume called "media" where you have "movies", "serials", "documents" etc. Previously you shared "media" and XBMC could easily see / access subfolders content which is now unable to do so. A workaround is to share specific folder, e.g. Media/Movies and XBMC will be able to see the content.

Is this true? When exactly did this change? Whose fault is that? XBMC or OS X? Can it be fixed in XBMC?
I've been affected by this as well and I registered because I need some advice for this specific issue.
I had XBMC (latest stable Gotham running on latest stable Openelec) set up on my rPi, sources were on an MBP running snow leopard via SMB (through LAN), and everything worked perfectly. Yesterday I finally decided to upgrade to Mavericks (10.9.5) and boom, everything imploded. My SMB sources dropped away and I've been trying every fix I could find but nothing is as stable as it was before mavericks. My library is a mess of duplicates and broken links so before I start pulling my hair out, I think I better get rid of all existing sources and start fresh.

What I've tried:
  • editing the sources into direct paths to my shared volumes as the SMB browser no longer worked (either 'broken pipe' or 'unauthorised connection' errors)
  • forcing SMB1 through terminal command (not cifs), did nothing until I used my server's IP in the path. worked briefly but lost connection on sleep and video froze repeatedly.
  • downloading SMBUp and setting new sources, made my shares visible through XBMC's browser but connection was unreliable again.
  • Enabling NFS on my MBP, I set up a test source in XBMC and while it connected just fine, the video started freezing again, though it was less severe as through SMB.
  • disabled sleep on MBP as everything I tried immediately stopped working on sleep, causing library clean to want to ditch everything from all sources.
Testing all of these (plus researching as I'm handy with tech but not exactly a pro) took me hours and I'm bummed that still nothing works as it should. Honestly, I'm thinking of downgrading Mavericks as it appears to be the source of all my problems, but of course I'd rather solve the current issues or find a satisfactory workaround.

So, a fresh start, I haven't tried stiwi's suggestion of setting up shares in OSX directly to folders instead of the whole volume but can anyone confirm that this works? Should I abandon SMB altogether and set up my new sources through NFS? Why was NFS still unstable for me? Is there ANY way to set up my sources so they won't conk out whenever my MBP goes to sleep (I'd rather not disable sleep and never had to before)?
I'm open to any and all suggestions because I'm starting to think Mavericks just isn't compatible with Gotham. Sad

e: oh, I've also tried setting up the SMB path as smb://[email protected]/folder but it didn't make any difference.
e: another thing, I've been using multi-path sources except for the NFS test-source, didn't seem to make a difference but I'm going back to single-path sources anyway.
Well nfs should be rock solid. If you want to go that route i might be able to help you through your issues (though i didn't test the 10.9.5 nfs server yet but i doubt that apple changed anything on that server since its more a hidden feature of osx).
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with SMB protocol after updating to Mac OS Maverick0