• 7(current)
~1 minute delay when starting XBMC
That is the audio sink being disabled after being idle for a while which happens in a seperate thread from your problem.

Not related, I am afraid.
I just noticed you mentioning a process at 25% CPU, which would be full core in a quad core PC.

Also the wiki has some information on how to tune a mysql instance.
(2013-06-18, 17:50)Kibje Wrote: I just noticed you mentioning a process at 25% CPU, which would be full core in a quad core PC.

Also the wiki has some information on how to tune a mysql instance.

yeah a Python process is taking up, very consistently, 25% of the Synology NAS's cpu. I have a number of webservers running there that I'm sure are included in this (sickbeard, couchpotato, transmission, headphones others). And the Synology NAS has a Dual Core 2.13GHz with floating point (whatever that means), i.e. is not quad-core. Still if you look at the first imgur (pasted here: http://imgur.com/6coFHKQ ) you can can see very small in the top left corner that cpu usage on the NAS doesn't usually reach much over 30% and never got higher than 51%. So though, I'm not thrilled about a non-descript python process consistently taking up 25% of the cpu, it doesn't appear to be taxing the system to much and is somewhat plausible.

I'm gonna try some of the info I've found in these threads to increase the memory allocation in my.cnf:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/programmi...y-caching/
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=18417.0
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...#msg159984

I'll report back if any of that works...

The explanation that I'm running into some limit of mysql seems to make the most sense, but there is really no evidence on the NAS side to indicate that I'm reaching the limits of my NAS's ability, hence why I'm still digging a little further...
Well again I post with very cautious optimism: I cherry picked advice from many of those above links and discovered that query caching WAS enabled but query_cache_size was set to 0. So I vi'ed /etc/my.cnf and added
Code:
query_cache_size = 16777216
query_cache_type=1
query_cache_limit=2097152
One of the links claim that allocating 8mb to MySQL would be overkill for xbmc and I doubled it, but I have 3gb in my nas and I've never seen the memory usage go above 29%, so I figured why not. I couldn't figure out how to restart the MySQL server so I just reset my NAS. I opened up xbmc and ran a manual Library update and was not surprised to witness a ~30 second "freeze" of xbmc. So I started digging as if back to the drawing board but a short while later, as I had some time to kill, just ran another manual library update for poops and giggles...and this time NO "FREEZE"! I didn't believe my eyes so I ran another when it was finished and again no "freeze". Then I turned on debugging, shutdown xbmc, reopened it and ran a manual update and still no "freeze"!

Here's that debug log in case anyone cares: pastebin.com/VdDGYVBm

My very uneducated guess would be that the first time i tried the update it hadn't cached whatever queries it needed and then had those cached queries to access for the second through fourth attempts.

Thanks so much for all your help, (especially @Kibje and @Dilligaf) i'll be re-marking everything watched and adding back in my plugins so I'm not out of the woods yet but I think I see the lightSmile

On an slightly unrelated note, is there a better way to save/export just the watched status of the videos? This whole process would have been much easier and less painful if I could have saved/exported/imported just the watched status of the files. I store all the images and whatnot inside the folders of the media and the watched status (and a very select few bookmarks) are all I lose when I completely blow out the db and start over. I'm assuming the first step would be to export the library into separate files and I know trakt tv allows syncing but I never got it to work and couldn't find any options for which direction to sync etc. Any advice would be, as always, greatly appreciated.
There is an advancedsettings.XML setting that is called importwatchedstate ...
Thanks, I remember reading that before, but I didn't quite understand how it worked. Just read up some more and realized I needed to export my library to separate files, and then the watched status gets written to the .nfo file. well live and learn.

Thought I'd report back, but will do more testing. I've tried many a manual update since I added the query_cache settings to my my.cnf and none of them have caused a freeze at all, but oddly enough I enabled update library on startup and I get the black xbmc splash screen for 30-50 seconds before the Home window shows up and the library update starts. Very odd, anybody have any idea why that would be different? Obviously I can live with manually updating my library, just find this behavior extremely odd....

Full disclosure: I can't remember testing Update Library on Startup before I installed the plugin's Library AutoUpdater and Artwork Downloader and there was some stuff in the log referring to both of those as the black xbmc splash screen was on the screen. I disabled both those plugins and kept Update Library on Startup and the black xbmc splash screen still stayed on the screen for around 50 seconds. Taking the Update Library on Startup off and enabling both plugins XBMC went to the Home Window nearly instantaneously after clicking on the taskbar icon.
Glad you got it sorted. You may want to add a comment to the wiki regarding Synology Nas and MySql to help out the next guy.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Just reporting back, that the "fix" that I though had fixed my issues stopped working after a short period of time, but the suggestion in this post seems to have eradicated the random freeze that occurred when I tried to update the library. From what I gather the older version of MySQL that Synology compiled for its diskstations (that they have neglected to update) used a different default engine and changing the tables engine to the newer innodb seems to have fixed all the issues i was experiencing.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
~1 minute delay when starting XBMC0