Linux No stereo/mp3 sound, some movies stutter
Hello,

I have installed XBMC12.2 on my new HTPC and now have two problems left in using XBMC:
- Some movies are not playing wel (stuttering)
- Stereo/mp3 sound from movies/series/music and also the navigation sound doesn’t work. 5.1 on the other hand works fine (f.e. AC3)

To start, my HTPC is well oversized for its role, it’s a new shuttle SH87 with an intel i3 4330, 8 Gb ram and 120Gb SSD (no separate graphics card), I have installed Ubuntu 12.10LTS. 1Gb of ram is via the bios assigned to the build in gpu. It’s working fine and fast. The HTPC is connected via HDMI to a Yamaha AV receiver Avantage RX810 (recent model 7.1) which is used to connect all the other input devices to the TV screen. The movies and music in my library are stored on a Synology NAS all connected via a wired 500 mbit/s network.

What have I analyzed and tried so far?
1. The movies that stutter are not specially large; the example in the log is a SD movie. A lot of HD movie play fine so it looks to me that the network is not the problem. On my windows pc the example movie (.avi) from the log file play fine with VLC.
2. The stereo sound has worked yesterday, but today it didn't anymore so I have tried a lot of combinations in the settings based on studying the forum articles. The log file that i created is with the settings speaker config on 2.0 and only the basic pass throughs activated. That is the setting adviced in the forum in this case I think. The Yamaha supports all the possible variant in XMBC for pass through so that settings don’t matter. That part works fine.

Please your advice, past evening I want to look some movies with my wife but I had spent the time on searching for a solution and not finding it is a bit frustrating.

logfile: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=74198
Quote:01:49:08 T:139811633776384 ERROR: CAESinkALSA::HandleError(snd_pcm_writei(1)) - snd_pcm_writei returned -11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
01:49:08 T:139811633776384 ERROR: CAESinkALSA::HandleError(snd_pcm_writei(2)) - snd_pcm_writei returned -11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)

pa is coming in the way

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
sudo reboot

Reconfigure your audio settings.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
After executed the commands i tried reinstalling the audio again but all failed.
So after some houres i decided to reinstall ubuntu. After that i had the same problem.
I have solved this by turn of all the pass through settings and set the sound on 7.1
Now is works fine. So it seems that pass through on the same output channel gives problems with pulse audio using the same output channel.
So problably an other option would be sending the pass through sound via the glass connection.
For me it's ok now.
Thanks for the help, i have learned a lot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No stereo/mp3 sound, some movies stutter0