xbmc crashing on startup
Hello all. My xbmc has begun to spontaneously crash. It's an older version, but at the moment I would prefer NOT to upgrade unless necessary. It crashes immediately after startup.. I see the home screen for a moment, then crash. Crashlog: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=74733

I'm a bit at a loss for how to proceed. I completely removed my .xbmc directory with no effect. I have not made any recent changes to the system, neither to the OS (i.e. package upgrades) or xbmc (i.e. scanning in new items). I don't have my xbmc configured to scan on startup.

TIA
Code:
22:40:47 T:3020822400 M:1948368896  NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: Linux (Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.5 (squeeze), 2.6.32-5-686 i686). Built on Oct 22 2010 (SVN:34924)
That XBMC version is three years old and it's no longer supported. Lots of things can go wrong and there aren't many still running that version who might be able to help you. You need to upgrade.
I understand it's a bit old in xbmc terms, but there's no reason for old software to spontaneously fail. bugs that exist should also be well known by now.
Well, looking at the tail end of your log, there are several errors similar to this:
Code:
22:40:51 T:2964216688 M:1915031552   ERROR: Open - failed to open source <http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/dharma-pre/addons.xml|Encoding=gzip>
22:40:51 T:2964216688 M:1915031552   ERROR: Repository XBMC.org Add-ons returned no add-ons, listing may have failed
As you can see, the dharma-pre folder doesn't exist on the mirrors list (anymore), so these requests are failing. So, although the old software did not spontaneously fail per se, the resources it's trying to access are no longer available. Don't know if this will cause XBMC to crash or not, but it's certainly not a good thing. You need to upgrade.
that issue has existed for some time and has not previously caused crashes.
Hi

Not sure if this is related but.... Ive had a similar problem with an old previously stable dharma install.
First off I aint no expert with xbmc or linux, this is just what worked for me.

The fault ......It would start up as normal and as soon as it loads the music screen which is my start screen, ( confluence guitar Smile) I'd see it for half a second then a X would flash in the middle and all would disappear.

Spent the small hours of the morning figuring it out.
It turns out its the weather add on. Which has not been working anyway for the 12-18 months or so. Huh
When it was trying to access xoap.weather.com was causing the fault

Easy way to find out if its the same thing causing the fault is to simply disconnect your network cable then restart.
Without the network cable inserted it started fine.

I tried un-installing the weather addon, but the options are greyed out.
In the end I just blocked xoap.weather.com from accessing the internet in my router. Now it all works fine again.
I may try deleting the weather addon from the addons folder but as its working OK I may not Smile

Hope you have some sucess.
(2013-10-26, 12:40)Bagger Wrote: Hi

I tried un-installing the weather addon, but the options are greyed out.
In the end I just blocked xoap.weather.com from accessing the internet in my router. Now it all works fine again.
I may try deleting the weather addon from the addons folder but as its working OK I may not Smile

Hope you have some sucess.

Thanks, Bagger very much for the tip!!! I too am running a similar setup and had XBMC just randomly start crashing when it would start and I had absolutely not explanation for it. Blocking xoap.weather.com at the router completely solved the problem. Guess I will look at upgrading my version of XBMC in the near future. Also need to update to OSX Mavericks so maybe will do both once XBMC version 12.3 is released since apparently Mavericks and XBMC 12.2 are not playing well together.
Thanks guys!
Edit /etc/hosts and add xoap.weather.com with a fake addres (can be 127.0.0.1). This will fix.

Cheers
today my xbmc spontaneously began working (i was out of town all weekend), although it still tries and fails to get the addon updates every ten minutes. then, after several hours of working, it crashed again, this time with the xoap bug noted by others. the localhost fix recommended worked.

i suspect there's a bug (probably known and since fixed) with xml handling that causes a crash when it receives certain types of data, and possibly the reason time corrected the error for me was the addons.xml result expiring from my caching proxy. so i have therefore also blocked it from accessing mirrors.xbmc.org in hopes of preventing future occurrences.

thanks to the helpful users for their assistance.
sounds like what has just happened to my XBMC Live installation. i'm running an acer revo r3700 with
XBMC LIVE (10.0 iirc?) installed directly onto the HDD.

not used it for a few days and when i switched it on, voila.. looping splash screen with "X" in the middle.
unplugging the network cable stopped the loop, but was pointless as all of my media is stored on two
NAS boxes Rolleyes

i'll have a go at editing the host files tonight to see if it works for me.

thanks for the info, looks like an upgrade is well overdue.

Ste
I will confirm that redirecting xoap.weather.com to a dummy IP in /etc/hosts was successful in reviving my aged (but devilishly stable) Dharma Box.

I have been holding out for Gotham for the upgrade and this fix promises to see my old installation through to April! Thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc crashing on startup2