• 2(current)
XBMC v12.2 crashing on OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Patch works however the mouse fix does work correctly but you cannot access favorites or shutdown button it wont go bellow those buttons. thanks for the torrent however the dropbox was not working.
I donated already Wink
Hey everyone! Probably you can help me here, using a nightly build mysql synchronization doesn't work any more. Am I doing something wrong, or it is just a "nightly" issue?
Sorry for off top. Originally posted on the smb problems thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176400&page=2
(2013-10-25, 19:37)fjusdado Wrote: Since the other thread is closed, and I know Memphiz will see this post, I wanted to answer him, saying that I think he is completely right, that the people are very very egoist, they do not think they are not paying a buck for this program, probably not even supporting developing (same as me until today, that I did not actually think about how situation should be and will check now how to donate some bucks for the development of XBMC, since I love it), and, even is true there was no advertisement saying "XBMC DOES NOT WORK IN MAVERICKS" there was the fix that works "good enough" in Mavericks, well, is true it doesn't do a good fullscreen in 2nd screen, but, cmon... works good enough for the moment... so the people complaining should just, learn Xcode, and compile by themselves, or just wait for the FREE SOFTWARE for being developed with its time...

Really, you guys complaining are a pain in the ass, and you should understand that a free software without ads, is not supported by the money of the ads, but supported by some people, called developers, that are just doing this for a hobby, and that they do not have to spend lots of bucks in being "official Apple developers" to have Mavericks before... and you cannot TRULY ask for them to download a torrent of os x 10.9 for you to play with XBMC when, not being an official dev, that is illegal (even though is very easy, but illegal).

As said, right now I will just look for the donating place, and will send some bucks, because I really admire your hobby, and I really admire that thanks to your hobby, I can watch movies in a program that looks good and not in that shit of VLC.

For starters no one in this thread was even complaining but clearly you can't leave shit alone and feel you need to stir things up and try to win friends in high places.

Plenty of us are donors and many of us merely echoed earlier reports of Mavericks not working when we were caught by it unawares. The entire reason that I donated (and not chicken feed either) was that I was hoping that donations would be used to do things like get a developer license and test new OS releases before they get rolled out the door. Clearly I was mistaken as there were some heated posts by developers about how they don't have $$ for development box or Apple developer license.

Because my own coding skills suck, I'm more than happy to back the project financially, but there's a flip side to the coin. If we back it financially then we should have some small voice in mentioning issues or asking why when a software has been available in beta for months it catches everyone flat-footed.
It has been fixed in nightlies for months. So I see no reason to complain. Again even though it has been fixed no one can force or expect from us to do another release just because of this.

But to stop every ones complaining there will be a 12.3 which should contain this fix. No real ETA as it needs to be properly tested first.
End of story, move along. This will be the last thing said about this. Any further post that try derailment of this thread will be deleted without warning.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
This happens every time... I'm an experienced Apple dev but I just don't have boxes dedicated to trash on dev versions of darwin, it's just too painful to reinstall everything. And there's no way that I'm subjecting my active dev box to something like that. I just depend on it too much for other things.

Users get excited, ooooo and new Apple OS and they rush to install. The experience users will 1st check that all their 'got to have' apps will work fine BEFORE installing. Standard precautions and google are quite helpful. If XBMC is one of your 'got to have' apps, then I suggest checking the forums BEFORE installing. That way you avoid the crush of disappointment and frustration.
If I go back on 12.2 how do I install patch? i am on v13 alpha7 or 8 I can't remember at this moment. If I stay on v13 do I have to install patch?
How do I install the patch? I'm on v13 alpha7 or 8 can't remember.
(2013-10-26, 07:19)Chico0106 Wrote: How do I install the patch? I'm on v13 alpha7 or 8 can't remember.

You don't need to, you can stay on v13 alpha builds.
Ok thanks
(2013-10-26, 02:40)davilla Wrote: This happens every time... I'm an experienced Apple dev but I just don't have boxes dedicated to trash on dev versions of darwin, it's just too painful to reinstall everything. And there's no way that I'm subjecting my active dev box to something like that. I just depend on it too much for other things.

Users get excited, ooooo and new Apple OS and they rush to install. The experience users will 1st check that all their 'got to have' apps will work fine BEFORE installing. Standard precautions and google are quite helpful. If XBMC is one of your 'got to have' apps, then I suggest checking the forums BEFORE installing. That way you avoid the crush of disappointment and frustration.

You are right, if I used my Mac primarily as an HTPC I would have done this. Fortunately I only use XBMC on my Mac to test new rips or encodes, and use OE for actual HTPC duty.
I know that being a new XBMC user I don't have the right to complain since it's open source and free. However it works so well and the bugs (if any) are quickly fixed that this was very surprising. I can't get it through my head that XBMC didn't know about it, Mavericks beta has been around for months and months. So as we are used to it working so well we think of XBMC as a perfect product/company but these things reveal the truth.

I also notice a distant disdain for Apple products, I personally don't care as long as it's supported. I can't believe this would happen with a new Ubuntu or Windows version, developers will fix the problem basically because they would want it to run on their own system. So most definitely there are very few who use OS X, perhaps none.
yea, no one uses OSX, perhaps we should just remove it then ....
(2013-10-27, 01:41)passenger Wrote: I know that being a new XBMC user I don't have the right to complain since it's open source and free. However it works so well and the bugs (if any) are quickly fixed that this was very surprising. I can't get it through my head that XBMC didn't know about it, Mavericks beta has been around for months and months. So as we are used to it working so well we think of XBMC as a perfect product/company but these things reveal the truth.

I also notice a distant disdain for Apple products, I personally don't care as long as it's supported. I can't believe this would happen with a new Ubuntu or Windows version, developers will fix the problem basically because they would want it to run on their own system. So most definitely there are very few who use OS X, perhaps none.

Crashing on start in Mavericks was actually fixed over a month ago, and that's been included in our development builds (wiki) ever since. We have a bug fix release that will come up that will fix it for people who still use v12. As for Ubuntu or Windows, things like this happen all the time. In the last 5 or 6 years, there have only been 3 bug fix releases, and v12 was two of those. Bugs in the past had to wait about a year to be fixed with a stable version of XBMC. v12 bug fixes are actually the fastest fix releases we've had for XBMC.

What I think I we dropped the ball on is communicating this once Mavericks was released. I feel like I was one of those who dropped the ball, because I'm supposed to keep major stuff like that updated on the Mac OS FAQ on the XBMC wiki. I could have made a forum post and had it stickied as well, but I blanked on it.

As for the disdain for Apple products, just ignore those people, even if they're on Team XBMC. The fact that some people don't like Apple products is nothing new.
Thanks Ned for the reply and insights, please don't take my comments harshly, I'm not mad or anything, the dropbox patch worked wonders for me so I'm not desperate (it took me a while to find it though).

Regarding Apple, people hate Windows/Microsoft too but they use it, a large percentage of the world. I just don't imagine the average XBMC developer as a Mac user or fan, being open source and all, plus having customizing options, tweaks and addons are not very Apple like (which it's not a criticism!). Perhaps Plex is more Apple oriented if you know what I mean but I find it confusing and very limited.

I don't know if this would've happened to Plex (I know it's not open source right?). Regarding the announcement, honestly, I would have updated to Mavericks either way because It was free and I wasn't sure If it was only for that day.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC v12.2 crashing on OS X 10.9 Mavericks1