Most stable iOS version
I read through the FAQ and couldn't find anything on this so I'll post my question here. What's generally considered the most stable recent iOS version for running XBMC these days ? I have no particular issues with the old version I'm running, but I'm interested in getting Airplay Mirroring to work from my laptop, and this requires iOS 5 or greater on the AppleTV.
I'd love to know this as well. Right now I'm running Eden 11.0 on iOS 4.2.1, and mySQL central library and things are stable.

I'd like to upgrade my iOS so that I can finally get apps like HBO GO on my ATV2!

There should be a sticky thread with the "suggested" iOS and XBMC version for the various iOS devices.
Wow, 4.2.1? That's ancient.
Try out AppleTV2,1_5.2_10B144b
(2014-01-04, 11:57)mykie Wrote: I'd love to know this as well. Right now I'm running Eden 11.0 on iOS 4.2.1, and mySQL central library and things are stable.

I'd like to upgrade my iOS so that I can finally get apps like HBO GO on my ATV2!

There should be a sticky thread with the "suggested" iOS and XBMC version for the various iOS devices.

That's the tricky part. As far as XBMC is concerned, 4.3 should be almost issue free, and 4.2.1 is mostly issue free. I forget what the issue was, but I do recall noting "4.3 recommended" on the wiki. Anything since whatever version it was that added the grid of icons seems to use slightly more RAM, but only those versions have the extra ATV applications. Once you go "grid", they're all about the same, and some of the later ones seem to not use as much RAM (take that statement with a big grain of salt, as I have no real testing to back that up, and it's been a long time since I've ran the older ATV iOS versions).

I've long since updated to "grid", so I pretty much use whatever is the latest and has an untethered jailbreak. One just came out today, but it might be wise to wait and see what bugs there are. Remember to backup your SHSH blobs so you can downgrade if you wish.
Just a heads up to early adopters that the latest untethered JB of iOS 5.3 on ATV2 seems to have some issues, at least I wasn't able to install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2. It boils down to some dependency issue with a package outside of XBMC's control (sqlite-dylib3)
works perfectly fine here - jailbroken with seas0npass 4 hours ago and a simple apt-get update && apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 worked out ... not sure what your issue was but at least with the current version of seas0npass it works flawless.

Also it might be important to restore to 5.3 stock before doing seas0npass (thats what i have read on the firecore forum at least).

5.3 - nothing to see here if you ask me. Its the same like with 5.2 when it comes to xbmc.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Yeah, I upgraded both of my ATV2's to IOS 5.3 and XBMC 12.3 yesterday, haven't had any issues yet.

Pretty glad I took the plunge! Thanks, all!
I know this post is 3 months old but some more info would be nice just to keep thread updated.
I am looking for suggestions since my info screen states that my ATV2 has firmware 5.0.1 on it. Should I bother upgrading with Seas0nPass? Will it install 5.3? Will it still be untethered?
I would like to know this too....I haven't updated my aTV2 in a very long time. If I to update now, I think my option is 6.1 (5.2). Is it jailbreakable? Can xbmc be installed on it. My current ios so old that i don't even have netflix for any other app.

Thanks
(2014-04-08, 22:03)menan Wrote: I would like to know this too....I haven't updated my aTV2 in a very long time. If I to update now, I think my option is 6.1 (5.2). Is it jailbreakable? Can xbmc be installed on it. My current ios so old that i don't even have netflix for any other app.

Thanks

Since no one replied I tried on my own and updated to 5.3 jailbroken. It seems more stable than my previous 5.0.1 but the downside is I lost access to Plex client and had to go thorugh plex connect setup.
Luckily I have saved SHSH to revert back to 5.0.1 just in case...
In seas0npass log I can also see this line:
DateTime: 08/04/2014 19:39:24 Message: 5.2: cydia yes iFaith no
So I guess I can restore also 5.2 safely...
(2014-04-09, 00:15)oldino Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 22:03)menan Wrote: I would like to know this too....I haven't updated my aTV2 in a very long time. If I to update now, I think my option is 6.1 (5.2). Is it jailbreakable? Can xbmc be installed on it. My current ios so old that i don't even have netflix for any other app.

Thanks

Since no one replied I tried on my own and updated to 5.3 jailbroken. It seems more stable than my previous 5.0.1 but the downside is I lost access to Plex client and had to go thorugh plex connect setup.

Hey
Thanks for the reply. I don't use plex. My biggest concern is untether jailbreak and xbmc. Did you get a chance to test xbmc on it?

Thanks again
(2014-04-09, 02:24)menan Wrote:
(2014-04-09, 00:15)oldino Wrote:

Thanks

Hey
Thanks for the reply. I don't use plex. My biggest concern is untether jailbreak and xbmc. Did you get a chance to test xbmc on it?

Thanks again

Yes I did, and 5.3 is better than 5.2 to me (i have alredy flashed again both 5.2 and 4.4.4 to test xbmc and plex).
I found 5.3 to be much faster than 4.4.4 when browsing my movies library
My 3 ATV2 are all running iOS 4.x I've been thinking I should probably upgrade them and from what I see above it looks like I can get them to 5.3 by using Seas0npass which does have the untetthered Jailbreak. I thought if I tried to upgrade that I would be forced to install the latest iOS version which would then either have a tethered jailbreak or worst case no jailbreak at all.

I know this isn't a jailbreak forum but is my thinking correct? If so then I think the following process should work well for me ....

- Upgrade XMBC to latest release (currently running a Gotham nightly from about a month ago)
- Backup XBMC configs to PC
- Run Seas0npass to upgrade ATVs to 5.3 and jailbreak
- Install XBMC latest release
- Restore saved configs
- Enjoy!

It all sounds too easy. Have I missed anythingHuh
Any ideas on my post above? With the 4 day Easter weekend coming up it would be an ideal opportunity to upgrade the 3 ATVs but I don't want to just jump in without first verifying my process.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most stable iOS version0