How to transfer files between my computers ?
Hello everybody, I have got three computers. My main one is running ubuntu, my laptop is running windows 8 and my HTPC is running XBMCbuntu.
What's the easiest way to share files between the three computers ? I need to tell you that I'm quite new to linux.

Thanks for the help !
Well, I guess it depends on where your files actually are and how you want to access them.

Broadly, you've got SMB (which is the Windows protocol) and NFS (the Unix one). Each allows you to share a directory and the files within it with another system.

XBMC understands both - so, you publish the files from one machine and go and get them via the appropriate protocol from another. Similarly, if you want more than just XBMC (e.g. if you want to share documents), then the operating system needs to be able to get at that shared directory/files; this is where it gets a little more fun, in that Windows struggles with NFS more than Linux struggles with SMB.

I guess the simplest way is to look up Samba on the presumption that your main PC (the Ubuntu one) hosts most of the files. Once you have that working, the WIndows machine will easily see the files, as will XBMC on any other system you may have.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to transfer files between my computers ?0