Wifi/Network/Amazon Stick TV
Hi All:
I post this question here as I don't know where to post this question as it will touch the Wifi network, Kodi and the Amazon Stick TV. Please help if you can.

I have Verizon Fios, 100mbs Up and Down plan, and using their dual bands Gateway 1100 Router, which is not a bad router. I have no problem streaming 1080P movies to the Kodi player from my WD EX4100 NAS (25-30 Gig/movie) to the newest 3rd edition Amazon Fire Stick TV with 802.11AC WiFi. However, the Gateway router signal is not very strong down in my basement, so I decided to purchase an Asus RP-AC68U and run the Asus as Access Point (AP) using Cat6 cable running from the Gateway router. Everything works fine as far as Wifi and internet, the Asus has wonderful signal strength. However, my problem now is that the Kodi won't play my 1080P movies, keeps on buffering and hiccuping, when connect to the Asus AP Wireless network! It works fine when connected to the Gateway wifi network. Here is what I have tested:

Internet on the Asus: 110mbs upload/download so no problem with netflix or online streaming.
Files transfer: using my laptop with 802.11AC adapter, I'm able to get 45-55MBs (360mps-440mbs) transfer rate from and to my NAS, which is much faster than the Gateway at only 30-35MBs.
So the Asus is faster and signal strength is much stronger than the Gateway router, but why Kodi won't be able to stream movies, keep on buffering, to the Fire Stick, but the Gateway can? Again, I don't have any problem with signal or internet as everything is working fine with the Asus AP; it just when streaming movies from my NAS to the Fire Stick using Kodi that I have problem. Can someone help me explain why?
Thanks,
BT
Topic moved to the hardware section.
(2018-01-23, 06:33)Klojum Wrote: Topic moved to the hardware section.

Are you connecting via 2.4 or 5GHz to the Asus router? If you are connecting via 2.4GHz you could see far worse performance than if you are connecting at 5GHz.

By default most routers set-up both 2.4 and 5GHz radios with the same SSID names, allowing you to not have to worry about which you connect to, which can be useful in some situations. In theory 5GHz compatible devices should join the 5GHz network, and 2.4GHz-only devices will only see the 2.4GHz one.  This doesn't always happen. I've had 5GHz 802.11ac compatible clients join 5GHz 802.11ac compatible access points at 802.11n 2.4GHz... (With all the performance loss you'd expect)

However for situations where you want to guarantee a 5GHz connection, it can be useful to configure them as two separate WiFI SSIDs with different names (I add a '5G' to the name of my 5GHz SSID). You can usually do this in your router config.

You REALLY don't want a 2.4GHz connection for media streaming duties.
Yes, that is what I thought as first, but my SSID for both 2.4 and 5 ghz are different, remotely different as in 5ghz_Kelly and 2.5ghz_Lilly, so I know for sure that I have connected to the correct network.  I also confirmed it with an wifi analyzer app from Amazon store, the app report that the wifi network is AC not N and physical link rate is at 886mps! which is faster than the Gateway router at only 528mps!  but still somehow the Asus router still won't stream to Kodi!  I'm not a network IT so I don't know why but it seems not right as everything should work.
(2018-01-23, 16:22)btran33 Wrote: Yes, that is what I thought as first, but my SSID for both 2.4 and 5 ghz are different, remotely different as in 5ghz_Kelly and 2.5ghz_Lilly, so I know for sure that I have connected to the correct network.  I also confirmed it with an wifi analyzer app from Amazon store, the app report that the wifi network is AC not N and physical link rate is at 886mps! which is faster than the Gateway router at only 528mps!  but still somehow the Asus router still won't stream to Kodi!  I'm not a network IT so I don't know why but it seems not right as everything should work.

What protocol are you using to stream (SAMBA/CIF, NFS?) - and what is your streaming source (NAS, PC, unRAID server etc.) - or are you streaming from online sources?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wifi/Network/Amazon Stick TV0