• 237(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Wink 
Is it just me, or does the registry hack with CodeNumSet to value 0 (or 8 in my case, using the Xbox 360 media remote, black edition) not work on Intel NUC D34010wyk running windows 7, with latest bios?

I seem to have some serious issues. I know the remote works, since I am able to turn on/off the TV. I know the CIR is not faulty, since it worked on Linux Mint using Lirc and an Apple Remote.

But it does not work on windows 7 64 bit for me. I know this thread isn't about evenghost or remotes, but that is what I have used to check remote signals to the the NUC's CIR.

Also wondering why there are two drivers "registered" in device management on windows 7. Both eHome driver and Nuvoton, can that have an impact?

I have used eventghost to controls, and that doesn't register anything through the CIR, when I pick Generic HID plugin and the CIR device in there. Neither when the Vista/Win7 MCE plugin.
Hello folks! Can anyone give me a answer about a sequence of a priority of usage video ports in D34010WYKH (or perhaps in any Haswell Intel NUC). I've had an issue when turn on my Intel NUC through Display Port. Unfortunately there was no signal on monitor. Some guys suggested using miniHDMI port instead but before buying it I had known about many problems with MiniHDMI especially no displaying signal until Windows starts.
i have no such issues with getting an image during post/uefi on d34010wykh using minihdmi.
(2014-08-12, 20:46)voip-ninja Wrote: Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have a little update on this.

Got frustrated enough that I tapped into the SATA port on the NUC and installed Win 7 x64 Pro onto a full size 3.5" HDD I had lying around. No change. Still could not get the thing to power up but once in Windows the device was recognized and would work.

I added a 2nd Windows Media Center device to my Harmony One and still no luck. I then (after spending hours scouring around trying to learn something) added a Microsoft Windows Media extender device to my Harmony and just like magic it started working. Power up and power down worked fine with Windows and when I put the SSD back in it continues to work with OE.

So, I can surmise a few things.... as this had been working completely fine now for a really long time;

1. FW 27 includes some new FW/setting for the Nuvoton CIR that is built into the Haswell NUC...
2. Once this FW/change happens the device will no longer power up from some older IR profiles like "Windows Media Center".
3. Does work with Windows media extender and probably several other IR profiles.
4. Rolling back FW does not fix the problem because, I assume, the new FW and/or settings stick even when the older FW is reinstalled.

I still have a couple of minor outstanding issues;

1. After going through all of this I re-built my activity as I had it before, trying to use "Microsoft Media Keyboard" device to shortcut some actions in XBMC. For some reason these are no longer working... although they had been working (from same device) when they were being used in a different activity. Not sure what is going on with this one... I have "remote sends keyboard presses" selected... turning it off doesn't change anything either.

2. I was getting some audio dropouts for a while. I suspect that at some point with all of the messing around the HDMI display device was changed from "HDMI1" to "default" and possibly that is related to the audio dropouts. I will have to test with some other files to see if the issue is really resolved now that I have changed it back to "HDMI1".

3. I don't even know if 27 fixed the issue I was originally trying to squash... random power-up of the NUC... have to monitor that.

All in all this has been a huge PITA. I feel like my part time job is nursing this NUC into doing what I want... it's even more frustrating because half the stuff I run into, nobody (but me) gives a crap about.

voip-ninja, just here to say THANK YOU. You saved my butt! I updated BIOS to 27 and the OS at the same time and went berserk about losing the ability to boot up my NUC with my Harmony remote. Thought it was the new OS. Spent two nights trying to fix it. It was the FW! Followed your instructions and all is well again! Cheers, mate!
Please could anybody describe a process of Intel NUC starting without installed RAM and SSD? I suppose I have a corrupted motherboard because the power LED lights always even before the power button is pushed. According to people's descriptions it has to blink three times when motherboard is started without RAM or RAM isn't suppoted by it, for example like using 1.5 voltage memory instead of 1.35V DDR3L. Furthermore there is no a keyboard led status reaction.
Updated the bios to 27 and now suffering audio dropouts on DTSHDMA. Is this common with the new bios and any settings I need to change - it worked done fine before the bios update and now wish I'd left as it was.

I3 with openelec
Adjust display refresh rate (always, but have also tried off and on stop/start)
Video clock drop/dupe (but have also tried off)
Software decoding (normally single thread, but have also tried multi threaded and hardware decoding with VAAPI)

Have also tried combinations of the above but no joy.
i have a keyboard with a built in touchpad, does anyone know how i can wake my NUC from sleep using only the keyboard but not the touchpad part?

annoying when i accidentally touch the touchpad and it turns on

tried disabling power management on the mouse but it still turns on
(2014-09-07, 08:31)Nellgrove Wrote: Updated the bios to 27 and now suffering audio dropouts on DTSHDMA. Is this common with the new bios and any settings I need to change - it worked done fine before the bios update and now wish I'd left as it was.

I3 with openelec
Adjust display refresh rate (always, but have also tried off and on stop/start)
Video clock drop/dupe (but have also tried off)
Software decoding (normally single thread, but have also tried multi threaded and hardware decoding with VAAPI)

Have also tried combinations of the above but no joy.

I updated to 27 and am not having dropouts with DTSMA under OE. The only real problem I am still having at this point is random power on of the NUC when it is powered down.
Joined the bandwagon and went ahead and bought myself i5 NUC. Loaded up with OpenElec and configured it with Aeon MQ5. Moving from Pi, the skin is pretty awesome and menus are much more faster. Have gone through most of this thread. The only issue I didn't fully understand was the black getting crushed and the workarounds related to using xrandr etc. I am not using that right now and I have enabled Hardware Acceleration for now. I am seeing drops: 2-4 and skips: 8-10 and sometimes pc:1 when I hit o while playing content. First I wanted to know whether this is normal. I searched many threads and I believe it is fine it is what I understood. But wanted to double check. Also my home videos using Canon (in HDMV format) show a lot of more skips in the start and then they stabilize.

I can share the media codec info and other logs if needed if somebody can point me to the direction on what logs are required. Right now playing all content over a wired network (gigabit through) and using NFS to stream from my NAS DLINK DNS323 and QNAP.

Interestingly I don't know how to figure out drops in Raspberry Pi since those values aren't present in the 4th line. Also there I was using the Helix builds and updating quite regularly. Any help will be appreciated.
You often get skips/drops at the beginning of a file or if you skip around. That's normal in my experience. However if you see the skip/drop count continue to increase whilst in play, and aren't doing something funny with frame rates, then that is more of a worry.

In my experience OpenElec on Intel (including the i5 Haswell NUC) defaults to limited "Broadcast/Studio" 16-235 output (this may be if you select a "Broadcast" resolution for output (1280x720, 1920x1080)) so you won't get crushed blacks and clipped whites in this situation if you are feeding a normal 16-235 HDMI display (and almost all consumer HDMI gear is 16-235 by default - as that is the video range used for DVD, Blu-ray, Broadcast TV etc., and TVs, by default, would expect 16-235 level sources)

If you are feeding a "Full" or "PC" level display - which expects 0-255 video range, you may experience milky blacks, desaturated colours and dull whites then you may need to alter the xrandr stuff to alter to "Full" range.

(2014-09-07, 12:44)elim Wrote: i have a keyboard with a built in touchpad, does anyone know how i can wake my NUC from sleep using only the keyboard but not the touchpad part?

annoying when i accidentally touch the touchpad and it turns on

tried disabling power management on the mouse but it still turns on

I think "Power on USB" is very basic - when it detects USB activity it powers on. This happens upstream of Windows in the BIOS I believe, though I may be wrong.

I think the only way around it would be if your touchpad had a disable option within it (like some laptops do)
(2014-09-07, 19:03)anthonynishat Wrote: Joined the bandwagon and went ahead and bought myself i5 NUC. Loaded up with OpenElec and configured it with Aeon MQ5. Moving from Pi, the skin is pretty awesome and menus are much more faster. Have gone through most of this thread. The only issue I didn't fully understand was the black getting crushed and the workarounds related to using xrandr etc. I am not using that right now and I have enabled Hardware Acceleration for now. I am seeing drops: 2-4 and skips: 8-10 and sometimes pc:1 when I hit o while playing content. First I wanted to know whether this is normal. I searched many threads and I believe it is fine it is what I understood. But wanted to double check. Also my home videos using Canon (in HDMV format) show a lot of more skips in the start and then they stabilize.

I can share the media codec info and other logs if needed if somebody can point me to the direction on what logs are required. Right now playing all content over a wired network (gigabit through) and using NFS to stream from my NAS DLINK DNS323 and QNAP.

Interestingly I don't know how to figure out drops in Raspberry Pi since those values aren't present in the 4th line. Also there I was using the Helix builds and updating quite regularly. Any help will be appreciated.

Unless the picture looks poor there is no reason to mess with xrandr. The default output with OE and Intel hardware is acceptable although arguably it can be improved by changing the way that the video output is handled in the OS. Some displays are more problematic with others. With my Panasonic plasma the PQ was noticeably worse than it had been when using older ATI based hardware, so I had to mess around with xrandr to improve it.

Frame drops/skips during start of playback is totally normal. It is only a problem if you either visually notice frame drops occurring or you see the skip/drop counter incrementing during normal (not chapter skip or ff/rew) playback.
Newb question.

I'm looking to set up Intel NUC HTPC with external DVD player and external NAS. Would either of these necessitate an i3 over a Celeron based model?

Thanks
(2014-09-08, 03:25)dstke Wrote: Newb question.

I'm looking to set up Intel NUC HTPC with external DVD player and external NAS. Would either of these necessitate an i3 over a Celeron based model?

Thanks

No
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-08, 03:25)dstke Wrote: Newb question.

Thanks

The only thing that necessitates an i3 or i5 over a celeron is faster speeds in heavy skins or handling of codecs that require software decoding. None of your requirements match the description. Celeron should be fine.
Thanks nickr and voip-ninja. Where's the reputation plus button?
  • 237(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7