• 71(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Has anyone had success with Ubuntu on this device? Or XBMC super buggy?
Sorry, I didn't have time until now.

I set my fan to approx. 2922, the temps are 45 each after 5 minutes of a 24fp 1080p movie, 53/55 while in movie browser of Aeon Nox and 48 degrees (Celsius) while on the menu bar. This was measured on the new Openelec with Retroplayer (based on 3.2.0).
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
(2013-12-04, 15:59)micoba Wrote: Sorry, I didn't have time until now.

I set my fan to approx. 2922, the temps are 45 each after 5 minutes of a 24fp 1080p movie, 53/55 while in movie browser of Aeon Nox and 48 degrees (Celsius) while on the menu bar. This was measured on the new Openelec with Retroplayer (based on 3.2.0).

And could you tell me what would be considered Hot for the NUC CPU? Is your new fan speed reduced much from the default fan speed and does it make an audible difference that would be worth the additional temp on the CPU or is it really a matter of waiting for the AKASA Newton H to come out so we can just go fanless on the cheap Smile

Cheers
Intel NUC i7 - OpenELEC - 16GB Ram - 1TB NVME/1TB SSD / LG OLED77GX6LA / Denon AVC-X4700H / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Monitor Audio 5.2.4 / Twin REL HT1003

Server: AMD 2950x / 32 GB Ram / 7x Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVME drives / 24 WD Red 4TB HDDs / 10GB Nic / LSI HBA

Network: 1 x MikroTik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC / 2 x MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN 10G / 2 x Ubiquiti NanoHD
Hi Guys,

After having played around with OpenELEC on my sparkly new NUC i5 I decided to try out a full Linux distro and chose for Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon.
Having read your posts I was worried about sound, video, remote, etc... isuues, but, I'm happy to report that after a bit of twaking and adding a line to "/etc/rc.local" all is well in Mint country. No sound passthrough issues, even with Dolby/DTS HD contents; The IR works perfectly and the system powers on and off nicely.

Here's in a nutshel the steps I took:

1. Download the Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 64bit .iso
2. Use Universal USB Installer on Windows or USB Image Writer on Mint to write the .iso to a USB stick
3. Install Linux Mint on the NUC
4. Run all updates
5. install Lirc with "sudo apt-get install lirc" and choose "Windows Media Center (all models)" when prompted to choose the IR receiver.
6. add the line below to "/etc/rc.local"

sudo modprobe -r nuvoton-cir && echo "auto" | sudo tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources && sudo modprobe nuvoton-cir

7. Make sure to change the executable bits by typing "chmod u+x /etc/rc.local"
8. Make sure you have set the audio output device to HDMI
9. Install XBMC (as instructed on the xbmc.org page)
10. Enjoy

Hope this helps,
Q

(2013-12-04, 07:23)BLKMGK Wrote:
(2013-12-04, 06:16)musicman_234 Wrote:
(2013-12-04, 04:55)BLKMGK Wrote: Did you get sound working under Mint? That was another hurdle I had issues with. Yanking Pulse and getting ALSA onboard was proving painful and I was never able to get the setup working. Also, any issues with Grub on the install? I installed Mint 14, 15, and Ubuntu LTS with no luck until I'd repaired Grub...

Yes. You have to actually read & follow the release notes. I'm guilty of not doing it, and wasting a couple weeks because of it. I then started with a fresh Mint install. Then update & upgrade. Then put in the fix for HDMI audio (see Mint 15 release notes). http://linuxmint.com/rel_olivia.php

D'oh! I knew there was an UEFI issue and I managed to work around it but that sure is simpler - I'm used to Linux just installing! lol Nice to see that the HDMI issue is addressed as well and instaling from a daily repo is probably a very good idea and I'd have done that too had I known. Compiling and installing ALSA is a PITA and that's far simpler.

Maybe I'll give Mint another shot on my i5 box. The Openelec guys have merged in many bleeding edge patches though and are really on top of the issues so if I run into many bumps I'll be switching back. It really is very simple to setup with the dedicated distro and it "just works" very quickly once the remote receiver fix is installed. Even upgrades are pretty straightforward which is very nice!
I saw that OpenElec generic stable v3.3.4 and nightlies R16441 are both being used. Am I right to assume that for Haswell NUC, the nightlies are to be used?
NUC D34010WYK, Wifi-BT 7260, G. Skill 8GB F3-1600C9S-8GRSL 1.35V, Yamaha RX-A1020, MyDigitalSSD 120GB
Either use 3.2.4 stable or the lmyllari release from this thread (use search function) which has special fixes for our nucs.
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
It seems like lmyllari has removed his file from dropbox. I went to the link in this thread and no file found. Thanks for the tip about the stable build. On another note, I have a Lenovo Q190 running w8.1 with 4 GB of ram and a celeron, xbmc is running fine on it with all kinds of files, m2ts, mkv, avi etc..So our nuc i3 should not have any problem with win8.1 and xbmc.
NUC D34010WYK, Wifi-BT 7260, G. Skill 8GB F3-1600C9S-8GRSL 1.35V, Yamaha RX-A1020, MyDigitalSSD 120GB
(2013-12-04, 18:36)husky55 Wrote: It seems like lmyllari has removed his file from dropbox. I went to the link in this thread and no file found. Thanks for the tip about the stable build. On another note, I have a Lenovo Q190 running w8.1 with 4 GB of ram and a celeron, xbmc is running fine on it with all kinds of files, m2ts, mkv, avi etc..So our nuc i3 should not have any problem with win8.1 and xbmc.
I cleaned up the obsolete builds. You can use nightlies instead, they have all those fixes and more.

If you need my 16-235 passthrough, message me for a current build or grab the patch from my github repo.
i have a big problem with my i3 nuc. i installed openelec and i test the shutdown function with my harmony. the shutdown was successfull, but the nuc wont start...nothing!

what could this be?
You mean that NUC isnt starting even when you press the power on button on the top of the NUC?
so it is! nothing happens...

i can see, that when i plugged in the power supply, the battery and the power button shiny a little bit green...
My power button doesn't work either.

https://communities.intel.com/message/214176#214176

You use a harmony remote? Did you change any bios settings? Maybe the harmony remote is somehow deactivating the button. My best advice is to put a profile on your remote that will start your NUC. (Alot of them will do) Media Center Extended is what I use for now.
Did you check the power cables? Reinsert it on the NUC and also on the converter.
Try to press power on button for 2 seconds and then release it.
Try to power on NUC over LAN.
If still is nothing then this might also indicate memory problem. If you have another stick of memory, try to replace.
Finally got my Apple remote working Smile
I used this tutorial: http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-rem...ilt-and-ir

I'm experiencing quite some remote lag, even compared to my AT2 XBMC setup. Tried different remotedelay, remoterepeat settings but didn't get any better. Is it due the NEC protocol of the Apple remote? Or is the just the NUC CIR? Are there no-lag remotes in the house?

I didn't make a remote.xml, since functionality-wise everything is working well. Does that might have to do with it?
Hey there,

Not sure if this is the right place but i am selling my atv2 and moving up to a nuc and wondered if this was a good purchase? - http://www.atlastsolutions.com/intel-has...0wyk-4-60/
  • 71(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7