• 72(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-12-04, 15:59)micoba Wrote: Sorry, I didn't have time until now.

I set my fan to approx. 2922, the temps are 45 each after 5 minutes of a 24fp 1080p movie, 53/55 while in movie browser of Aeon Nox and 48 degrees (Celsius) while on the menu bar. This was measured on the new Openelec with Retroplayer (based on 3.2.0).

Sorry the steps should be more clear.

Set fan to min 20%, max 100% in the bios
Boot openELEC
Play a 1080p movie at 24 fps with no gui open
Ssh into the nuc
Then run sensors and report fan speed and temp

I just want to see if the extra EUs in the i5 require more fan rpms or not over your i3

Thanks
(2013-12-04, 17:06)quintixbox Wrote: Hi Guys,

After having played around with OpenELEC on my sparkly new NUC i5 I decided to try out a full Linux distro and chose for Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon.
Having read your posts I was worried about sound, video, remote, etc... isuues, but, I'm happy to report that after a bit of twaking and adding a line to "/etc/rc.local" all is well in Mint country. No sound passthrough issues, even with Dolby/DTS HD contents; The IR works perfectly and the system powers on and off nicely.

Here's in a nutshel the steps I took:

1. Download the Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 64bit .iso
2. Use Universal USB Installer on Windows or USB Image Writer on Mint to write the .iso to a USB stick
3. Install Linux Mint on the NUC
4. Run all updates
5. install Lirc with "sudo apt-get install lirc" and choose "Windows Media Center (all models)" when prompted to choose the IR receiver.
6. add the line below to "/etc/rc.local"

sudo modprobe -r nuvoton-cir && echo "auto" | sudo tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources && sudo modprobe nuvoton-cir

7. Make sure to change the executable bits by typing "chmod u+x /etc/rc.local"
8. Make sure you have set the audio output device to HDMI
9. Install XBMC (as instructed on the xbmc.org page)
10. Enjoy

Hope this helps,
Q

Thanks for the update. I think this is the direction I want to go with mine, as well.

Quick question: how are the colors within XBMC rendering? Is the graphics driver being used correctly (presume that the changes in OpenELEC have made their way over to XBMC?
(2013-12-04, 18:40)lmyllari Wrote: I cleaned up the obsolete builds. You can use nightlies instead, they have all those fixes and more.

If you need my 16-235 passthrough, message me for a current build or grab the patch from my github repo.

So the nightly's are still missing the 16-235 fix? Can you please point me towards that patch?

Thanks
Mwaah, the colors are a tad off, a bit washed out compared to the OpenELEC nightlies and the great work lmyllari has been doing. But, still extremely watchable, in some cases less "dark" than the aforementioned tweaked OpenELEC builds I just made the NUC dualboot, so I have the best of both worlds.

The changes in the OpenELEC nighlies are mostly system and kernel changes, xbmc itself is not responsible for driver/system/kernel issues, neither in Frodo or Gotham. So, no, the changes have and will never make their way over to xbmc.

Give Mint a try, it's a pretty painless install and a nice distro. If you don't like it go for either dualboot or a fresh OpenELEC install.

Cheers,
Q
(2013-12-04, 22:12)ascl_ Wrote:
(2013-12-04, 18:40)lmyllari Wrote: I cleaned up the obsolete builds. You can use nightlies instead, they have all those fixes and more.

If you need my 16-235 passthrough, message me for a current build or grab the patch from my github repo.
So the nightly's are still missing the 16-235 fix? Can you please point me towards that patch?
The 16-235 range fix is in nightlies. It fixes the default output having grey blacks. See https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/pull/2776

The only thing missing is my hack that allows you to output full range and tell the display it is a limited range signal. It is only usable with software decoding and Gotham. Consider it an expert setting for now. See https://github.com/laurimyllari/OpenELEC...e8b603144a
I was going to post a new thread but thought I'd just ask in here.
What is the general appeal with the Intel NUC? Is it because it's so small?
I'm about to build an HTPC and saw the NUC but it seems sort of expensive for what it is so I wondered what's so attractive about it.
It's small, sexy, fast and energy efficient! Wink
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
New BIOS release (0022)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...iid=dc_rss
But not on the official site. Though it seems correct. Thanks from me.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchR...amilyId=36
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
No mention of an IR fix in the release notes:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23455/en...eNotes.pdf
What are the optimal video / playback settings for i3 Haswell NUC?

I currently use the following, but I experience some skipped frames (not dropped) during playback of high bitrate videos

System - Settings - Video output
Code:
Resolution: 1920x1080p
Refresh rate: 50.0
Stereoscopic mode: None
Vertical black sync: Let driver choose

System - Video - Playback
Code:
Render method: Auto detect
Enable HQ: 0%
Allow HWA (VDPAU): Disabled
Prefer VPDAE: Disabled
Allow HWA VAAPI: Enabled
Frame Multi Treaded Decoding: Disabled
Adjust display refresh: On start/stop
Pause during refries: Off
Sync playback to display: On
A/V sync method: Video clock (Drop/Dupe audio)

Video settings (during playback)
Code:
Deinterlace video: Auto
Deinterface method: VAAPI Auto
Video scaling method: Auto
Stereoscopic mode of video: Auto
Rest: default

Any suggestions on settings that are not optimal? Thanks.

-edit: I run OE generic r16441
(2013-12-04, 22:27)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-12-04, 22:12)ascl_ Wrote:

The 16-235 range fix is in nightlies. It fixes the default output having grey blacks. See https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/pull/2776

The only thing missing is my hack that allows you to output full range and tell the display it is a limited range signal. It is only usable with software decoding and Gotham. Consider it an expert setting for now. See https://github.com/laurimyllari/OpenELEC...e8b603144a

can you explain why one would want to output full range but tell the display it is a limited range signal?

i'm currently using an nvidia card but am strongly considering switching to haswell and have been following your fixes which i assume translate to haswell in general and is not confined simply to the nuc. i have a vt50 and have yet to have it professionally calibrated (why bother when you aren't getting perfect input?) because of an issue i see with 1-Grayscale Ramp.mp4 where there is banding. from other posts on the forum it seems this is a result of xbmc expanding from limited to full and back or something. the comment in your commit leads me to believe this would be fixed.
Hi Selene,

Just bought a Logitech Harmony Touch and followed your advice.
Media Center Extender turns my NUC on/off, but the menu doesn't seem to work well... Can't go back out of menu's.
For example:

I pick TV Shows out of the main menu, but want to watch a movie... Can't come out of the TV Show folder anymore Sad

Do you have another device to control it?

Gr,
Protax

(2013-12-04, 20:25)Selene Wrote: My power button doesn't work either.

https://communities.intel.com/message/214176#214176

You use a harmony remote? Did you change any bios settings? Maybe the harmony remote is somehow deactivating the button. My best advice is to put a profile on your remote that will start your NUC. (Alot of them will do) Media Center Extended is what I use for now.
(2013-12-05, 01:46)Protax Wrote: Hi Selene,

Just bought a Logitech Harmony Touch and followed your advice.
Media Center Extender turns my NUC on/off, but the menu doesn't seem to work well... Can't go back out of menu's.
For example:

I pick TV Shows out of the main menu, but want to watch a movie... Can't come out of the TV Show folder anymore Sad

Do you have another device to control it?

Gr,
Protax

(2013-12-04, 20:25)Selene Wrote: My power button doesn't work either.

https://communities.intel.com/message/214176#214176

You use a harmony remote? Did you change any bios settings? Maybe the harmony remote is somehow deactivating the button. My best advice is to put a profile on your remote that will start your NUC. (Alot of them will do) Media Center Extended is what I use for now.

Read up on configuration stuff here:

http://openelec.tv/forum/12-guides-tips-...lete-guide

You probably just need to set your keys properly in customize buttons. That guide has everything you need.
(2013-12-05, 00:51)furii Wrote:
(2013-12-04, 22:27)lmyllari Wrote: The only thing missing is my hack that allows you to output full range and tell the display it is a limited range signal. It is only usable with software decoding and Gotham. Consider it an expert setting for now. See https://github.com/laurimyllari/OpenELEC...e8b603144a

can you explain why one would want to output full range but tell the display it is a limited range signal?

i'm currently using an nvidia card but am strongly considering switching to haswell and have been following your fixes which i assume translate to haswell in general and is not confined simply to the nuc. i have a vt50 and have yet to have it professionally calibrated (why bother when you aren't getting perfect input?) because of an issue i see with 1-Grayscale Ramp.mp4 where there is banding. from other posts on the forum it seems this is a result of xbmc expanding from limited to full and back or something. the comment in your commit leads me to believe this would be fixed.
I have a professionally calibrated plasma and can recommend it. Smile

I think you mostly got the idea. It's not really about outputting full range, but rather not modifying the signal.

The banding comes from expanding luma from 16-235 to 0-255. This is done for typical PC monitors, which expect a full range signal. New Intel linux drivers by default give TVs a limited range signal, taking the expanded 0-255 and scaling it to 16-235. This does not eliminate the banding that was created by the original expansion, and original information below 16 and above 235 was already lost in that same step. (Why do they do it? It's the right thing according to the standards, and some TVs don't like full range -> crushed blacks.)

If the player software (xbmc in this case) decodes to 16-235 (meaning "don't change luminance, keep black at 16 and white at 235"), the video card outputs full range 0-255 (meaning "don't scale the levels, just output what you're given"), and display is set to limited range input (meaning "16 is black, 235 white"), we eliminate the banding in greyscale ramp (because the range is not scaled at any point) and keep blacker-than-black (luma values under 16) and white-than-white (luma values above 235).

If your plasma defaults to limited range RGB (and doesn't listen to the infoframes in the HDMI stream) or you can set limited range manually, you don't need anything special. Just set your player software to 16-235 (which you can now do with Gotham and software decoding) and make sure the video card doesn't change the signal (the xrandr broadcast range "Full" setting mentioned a lot in this thread). In my case, the monitor obeys the infoframes (and there are other devices connected to the same input preventing a manual setting), so I need a patch to switch it to limited range without altering the video signal.
  • 72(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7