• 163(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
When you say livetv works for you, what about the image quality issues from the beginning of this thread? The grey/washed out black problem?
The image quality is perfect. We use the swfilter + deinterlace with Yadif, method "Deinterlace". There is no better deinterlacer in the whole linux world (despite perhaps the new BBC deinterlacer, but that's not really realtime).

Concerning the black colors:

Sometimes autodetection of the screen fails. Then range is set to limited, which means, while the display is in deed Full. This will remove all blacks and also all whites -> gray
If it's wrongly detected as Full but is in deed limited, then you get much too dark images.

Use some Test images, too see if everything is fine - changing such a misdetection is not a realy problem, needs to be do once and fine:

First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-03-05, 20:51)yuyak Wrote:
(2014-03-05, 04:27)bogchop Wrote: Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Dn2820 and am not very happy with the unit. Xbmc menu navigation is quite sluggish, and not all 1080p files play without issue (jerking, tearing, slowdown, etc). I've unloaded it onto a family member that doesn't go past 720p, so that's ok.

I'm now considering an i3 D34010WYK with a 30gb msata drive + 2gb ram to run openelec, possibly i5.

1. Will this play all 1080p (12-15gb files) without issue?
2. What is menu navigation and general xbmc usage like? I'm currently running xbmc on a quad core i7 Mac mini, and it is smoother than butter - I love it.
3. Can the i3 handle heavy skins with ease, or is there noticeable slowness of any sort? I'm pretty picky about this stuff.

The other option is the i5 which i believe will be fine, and run xbmc interface with heavy skins (ala aeOn nox ). . I have no interest in 4k video at this time.

i3 or i5 ultimately. What do you guys think?

Cheers,
bc.
I was debating between the D34010WYK and the DN2820FYK but ultimately went with the i3. After reading your post, I'm really glad I did. I'm running XBMC w/ aeon nox skin (win8.1 w/ 2x2gb RAM) and the menu navigation is fine. This is the first time I'm using this skin, so I don't know how it compares to other systems, but seems very smooth to me. I'm running 1080p bluray rip mkvs off a NAS (Synology 214SE) through a gigabit router and the movies play perfectly.

I can't decide between i3 and i5. So xbmc runs smoothly on i3 but what if I also want to do more with it. I also want to use nzbget, couch potato and sickbeard as well. Those programs for sure.. but also, maybe use avstodvd for converting mkv to dvd. Too much for i3?
I was planning on getting 4gb ram.
Thank your for your answer [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] is there anything that can be done to setup the correct range? What about the autostart entry?
(2014-03-06, 13:30)jinkyjim Wrote:
(2014-03-06, 06:46)rrahut Wrote: Has anyone got any remotes working with the Haswell NUC under windows 8.1?
I have installed the CIR drivers, but the NUC refuses to recognize any presses in the remote button.

I am using the Xbox 360 Media Remote (Black):
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Access...ediaRemote

It does not work in xbmc; or in windows.
+1 Been looking for the answer to that as well.

I couldn't get my old 360 remote to work either but I have a harmony 650 remote and an old cheap media center remote that also works.
I have an MCE remote I bought from eBay. Works perfectly on Windows 8.1 (can even use it to navigate the Metro UI) and xbmc.

It just worked without installing anything.
Let me ask again please - things move so fast in this forum things get lost quickly

(2014-03-06, 04:09)DEcosse Wrote: Anyone running Linux on a Haswell NUC?

When I do a 'speaker test' with the output set to hdmi 5.1, it does not work properly
Both Front & Rear from each respective side point actually drive the respective side front speaker only and further the sound is garbled.
the sub does not play anything, nor does the center.

Nor will a test file - http://www.wooferbasstest.com/download/t...sound-test - play properly

It will pass through 2 channel PCM (with hdmi internal audio selected) and output surround sound clearly but will not feed 5.1 audio directly - or to individual speakers from the test screen on the PC

So - for anyone who has Linux installed - with output of a 5.1 test file directly via HDMI to amp
(leaving aside xbmc for a minute - use something like the linked test file & use the embedded player or VLC) ),

does it process each of the 5.1 speakers correctly when tested? (not via PCM - Multichannel)

If so, did it do so out of the box or did it require any additional feature loaded?
(2014-03-06, 23:31)ThaDraGun Wrote: I can't decide between i3 and i5. So xbmc runs smoothly on i3 but what if I also want to do more with it. I also want to use nzbget, couch potato and sickbeard as well. Those programs for sure.. but also, maybe use avstodvd for converting mkv to dvd. Too much for i3?

If you're concerned, why are you even thinking about it? Just go for the i5, the price difference is tiny.

Oh, and why settle for nzbget? Check out sabnzbd it has fancy stuff such as a web interface, smartphone apps, folder sorting, script support etc etc.
(2014-03-07, 11:01)arokh Wrote:
(2014-03-06, 23:31)ThaDraGun Wrote: I can't decide between i3 and i5. So xbmc runs smoothly on i3 but what if I also want to do more with it. I also want to use nzbget, couch potato and sickbeard as well. Those programs for sure.. but also, maybe use avstodvd for converting mkv to dvd. Too much for i3?

If you're concerned, why are you even thinking about it? Just go for the i5, the price difference is tiny.

Oh, and why settle for nzbget? Check out sabnzbd it has fancy stuff such as a web interface, smartphone apps, folder sorting, script support etc etc.

Yah I have all those NZB apps on my qnap nas right now and it's not powerful enough for them all. Nzbget runs a lot better. Probably switch back tho
Power consumption is the same for i3 and i5?
Hi everyone,

I received my i3 NUC yesterday and installed it in almost no time (Bios setup bug for one hour and then worked with no reason...) with the Bios v024 and OE 4.0 Bêta.

Everything went smoothly HDMI plugged on my Yamaha AV receiver but I have a few interrogations though:
- For the audio output, the HDMI mentions my TV instead of my AV receiver. I get sound from the AV receiver, but I'm not sure if I have to configure any passthrough option or not. For the moment I let it as default, but what the passthrough is made for in my case?
- My AV receiver should be able to decode almost any audio stream, should I check all the options for audio HD codecs or should I only check the one I want Xbmc to output?
Would you know where I can find copyright free videos to test the different HD audio codecs handled by the NUC?
(2014-03-07, 13:51)ThaDraGun Wrote: Yah I have all those NZB apps on my qnap nas right now and it's not powerful enough for them all. Nzbget runs a lot better. Probably switch back tho
Power consumption is the same for i3 and i5?

The i5 idles at 5w and maxes out at 25w if you happen to be calculating prime numbers in your spare time. Worry more about your lightbulbs than your NUC if power is a concern. An i3 would run circles around your QNAP and handle everything you want without a sweat. I'd still go i5, since the cost difference is minimal and future resolution support will be more demanding.
(2014-03-06, 21:35)Jorgensen Wrote: OS: Ubuntu Server 13:10.
<snip>
I have created a autostart.sh located in ~/.config/.
Does Ubuntu Server run scripts automatically from that location? I would look into its documentation to see how to add a bootup script.
(2014-03-07, 04:19)DEcosse Wrote: Let me ask again please - things move so fast in this forum things get lost quickly

(2014-03-06, 04:09)DEcosse Wrote: Anyone running Linux on a Haswell NUC?

When I do a 'speaker test' with the output set to hdmi 5.1, it does not work properly
Both Front & Rear from each respective side point actually drive the respective side front speaker only and further the sound is garbled.
the sub does not play anything, nor does the center.

Nor will a test file - http://www.wooferbasstest.com/download/t...sound-test - play properly

It will pass through 2 channel PCM (with hdmi internal audio selected) and output surround sound clearly but will not feed 5.1 audio directly - or to individual speakers from the test screen on the PC

So - for anyone who has Linux installed - with output of a 5.1 test file directly via HDMI to amp
(leaving aside xbmc for a minute - use something like the linked test file & use the embedded player or VLC) ),

does it process each of the 5.1 speakers correctly when tested? (not via PCM - Multichannel)

If so, did it do so out of the box or did it require any additional feature loaded?

Hi Decosse

I just tested the file from you link. And it works perfectly here. The sound comes from the speaker illustrated on the TV.

My setup:
Intel Hasweel i3
Ubuntu Server 13.10 - I installed XBMC following this guide: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1429454

So far I have played media with DD and DTS-HD and everything has worked perfectly for me.

I suggest that you enable debug log and post it. Then, I am sure someone can solve you problem.
(2014-03-07, 19:10)lmyllari Wrote:
<snip>
Does Ubuntu Server run scripts automatically from that location? I would look into its documentation to see how to add a bootup script.

I didn't find a definite answer, but I moved the code to /etc/rc.local and now the remote works after reboot/startup. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
(2014-03-07, 19:10)lmyllari Wrote:
<snip>

+1 (I think we both know the answer to this question)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 163(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7