• 165(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Quote:I'm using xbmc over Linux Mint 16 - Mint is extremely intuitive to use, the Cinnamon desktop in Mint, for me, is a lot easier to adapt to (if you are a Windows user) than the Unity desktop
It is really simple to install and set-up. Comes with Firefox but you can easily add whatever browser you prefer (Opera or Chrome or more)

http://download.intel.com/support/mother...de_v02.pdf

there's intel's guide for installing Mint and Frodo XBMC along with IR Setup

anyone running the Beta 1 on linux?
which are the commands i need to "cut'n'paste" to get the latest Gotham going on Mint?

thanks!
s.
Can anybody give me a link to the driver they are using for the nuvoton cir infrared on windows 8.1. I cannot find it.

edit i found it
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...pe=Drivers

Just installed mine, D34010WYKH2 with Win7.1 on a Kingston SSD (not very good speed but good enough to boot in 10 sec).

Installed XBMC-launcher, utorrent autostart with Windows and a vbs starting openvpn-gui in the background.
I just wait my remote from http://shop.inteset.com/xbox-4-in-1-prog...red-remote
and I'm good.
Does anyone use a Logitech 880 to control their haswell NUC. If so please tell me how. I have followed one guide but all i can get it to do is power on, nothing else.
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
(2014-03-08, 22:45)sfleck Wrote: http://download.intel.com/support/mother...de_v02.pdf

there's intel's guide for install Mint.

Their link is a bit outdated - it's version 16 now - http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Either the 32 bit or 64 bit per the first line (I have tried both, 64 installed now)

Quote:anyone running the Beta 1 on linux?
which are the commands i need to "cut'n'paste" to get the latest Gotham going on Mint?

Yes, I am running XBMC Gotham Beta1 under Mint 16 64 bit.

You can follow the Mint install guide here, which is complete with screen images - http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/u...h_15.0.pdf
Also includes an introductory users guide.

I have condensed a lot of that into the notes below:

To install, you need this program to make a bootable stick - http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-u...-as-1-2-3/ - run that in Windows & create your boot drive on a USB stick
Then when your stick is good to go, insert in the NUC USB port & power on, then at the prompt on the NUC, select F2 to enter BIOS so you can change the boot drive order to the USB drive
(It will revert back again later, so no need to go in to change it back - your stick must be inserted before you enter the bios however)
Then exit & let it boot from the USB drive.
This will open up to a Mint Desktop running in 'Live' mode directly from the stick (nothing on your hard drive at this stage)
In this mode you can actually play with the OS - it will do pretty much anything you want it to, including installing & running xbmc, if you want to practice first;
- it just won't save anything and when you exit the session and reboot it will be like the fresh OS again when it comes back
So you don't have to commit to installing it, to get a feel for if you are comfortable with it.
You will have to enable internet access if you want to install anything (like xbmc);
click on the network app icon in the bottom right to select wired or the appropriate wireless network connection (you will be prompted for password if protected wireless network)

When you are ready to install, just click on the desktop icon and follow the prompts;
(note that it recommends you have internet configured - which you can do at this stage - however it is not necessary - you can defer that until you complete the install if you want)
this time when you reboot after it's complete you can remove the USB installer and now your OS will be loaded & running from your hard drive & the desktop will be loaded

If you look down to the tray on the bottom right (just like windows) you will see the app icons for the network & sound - configure as appropriate.
There are also quick start icons on the left side, (called the panel) again just like widows (to add one from the start menu, if you right-click on the application in the menu, it opens up simple option to add to panel or to the desktop)
The Firefox icon should be already on the panel and assuming you have internet connection at this point, you are good to go.

First thing to do is get it current - very simple process: click Menu, then under Administration, select Update Manager
(If you are ever unsure where an application is, selecting "All Applications at the top of the left side of menu, indeed does just that - gives you everything in alphabetical order on the right side.

So - select Update Manager - you will be prompted for your Password
When the App opens, it will immediately look for any installed packages that can be updated.
When it is done searching, you will either have a statement that there are no updates or a list;
click 'select all', then 'install updates'.
Repeat if you get a new list after the first is complete.

Now your Operating System is up to date.

To add packages (lets say you prefer Opera over Firefox):
Now Select "Software Manager" from the Menu.
Again you will be prompted for your password.
You can simply type opera in the search box and it will find it.
Open the one from the list (double click) and simply hit install.
When done, it will be added to your menu (under Internet) - and if you want, can add this to the quick-start panel as described earlier.

Now to install xbmc:
You will use the Terminal for this (Terminal is opened either from the Menu or is already on the quick-start panel)
See the wiki here - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._for_Linux

Post each line of code individually as instructed:
i.e. paste the first line then enter, wait for it to finish executing and prompt to return, then next line etc

Code:
sudo echo
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

^^^ That will install Frodo 12.3

(actually if you search xbmc in the Software Manager, you can load Frodo from there - however you must use the Terminal if you want Gotham)

If you wish to install Gotham Beta, then you use the 'unstable' repository: in the fourth line & replace "ppa:team-xbmc/ppa" with "ppa:team-xbmc/unstable"

i.e. Run this INSTEAD for Gotham Beta1
Code:
sudo echo
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Then you can close Terminal & run xbmc from the Menu (again, place a quick start icon on the Panel if you wish)

And then of course configure XBMC as per your preferences

That should be enough to get you going
Remember you can do all of this in 'practice mode' running off the live stick before you actually install the OS onto your drive (you will just have to do it all over again when done)
For practice, if you wish to skip steps, just go straight for the xbmc install (don't worry about the upgrade or additional application downloads - unless you want to practice those too)
Also for practice, you can do this on ANY computer - your laptop or desktop, without installing permanently.
wow DEcosse! That is an awesome walkthru. It should be made a sticky for Linux Mint and XBMC installations.

thank you. very much appreciated.
(2014-02-11, 20:43)-DDD- Wrote:
(2014-02-11, 20:08)Jorgensen Wrote: No, not necessarily on the NUC. I can always connect like this: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Late...ess_Client But I still need to install the Crashplan SW on the NUC in the first place. And I am still not convinced that this is possible using OPENElec. And therefore, I was hoping that the black/gray fix was already implemented in XBMCbuntu.
Sorry for going OT.

Thanks. But as long as the black/washed out gray fix is not implemented in XBMCbuntu, I won't install XBMCbuntu.

Crashplan you can only install on OE when there is a Plugin for that or you can compile it by yourselt, but i don't know
how to do that.
XBMCbuntu is outdated, maybe with ubuntu 14.04 it would be updated, but you don't need this, you can go with the link
tatu and i posted and install ubuntu mini with xbmc.

This (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707) isn't xbmcbuntu, this is ubuntu mini with xbmc addon, this is the
right Solution for you Nod

(2014-02-11, 22:14)micoba Wrote: I've considered buying a Tranquil Abel H2 Chassis, but the total prize including the PSU kit for a delivery to Germany would be 150€. C'mon, it's just a C A S E! For that kind of money I can get another bay trail device or a nuc celeron.

Though the competitors cases aren't cheap as well... the Impactics D3NU1-IR-USB-B costs 109€ + delivery! But the design of the Tranquil is MUCH nicer!

My question is, do you think the prizes will be lower in a couple of months? Or is this a special product, that is produced by pure demand? What do you all think?

(2014-03-08, 21:37)DEcosse Wrote:
(2014-03-07, 19:25)Jorgensen Wrote: ....
I just tested the file from you link. And it works perfectly here. The sound comes from the speaker illustrated on the TV.

My setup:
Intel Hasweel i3
Ubuntu Server 13.10 - I installed XBMC following this guide: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1429454

So far I have played media with DD and DTS-HD and everything has worked perfectly for me....

Thank you Jorgensen
This is not through xbmc, correct? Just the file played directly through one of the embedded video players in Ubuntu, and the config on the sound app set for hdmi 5.1?

The difference appears to be the connection config - yours directly to amp, mine to TV via hdmi, then to amp via optical.
The passthrough will not work in my case.*

*The passthrough works via xbmc however by setting the sound app setting to stereo and then xbmc decodes the 5.1, DTS, AC3 etc when 'enable passthrough' is selected

But it looks like to process from 5.1 output from the NUC, it needs to go directly to amp.
(my amp has no hdmi inputs - would require an hdmi splitter/converter)

Just to clarify, this was indeed through xbmc and passthrough is enabled. Once I tried to connect my previous HTPC to the TV via HDMI and the TV to the amp via SPDIF. The result was no audio. My TV only supports digital out if the source is DVB-C/T.

Now the NUC is connected to an Onkyo amp via HDMI and also HDMI between the amp and the TV.
(2014-03-09, 19:40)Jorgensen Wrote: ...Now the NUC is connected to an Onkyo amp via HDMI and also HDMI between the amp and the TV.

OK - so if NUC is now directly connected to the amp via hdmi, can you just try to play the file directly in the videos app or VLC (if you have that installed) without playing it out of xbmc (with sound settings on NUC set to hdmi5.1) ?
Appreciated!
(2014-03-08, 22:13)DEcosse Wrote:
(2014-03-08, 00:03)voip-ninja Wrote: .... OE does not have a browser, at least not that I am aware of. I'd consider just loading Linux, but frankly my UNIX skills are rusty and it looks like a pain in the ass to set up and maintain.

I'm using xbmc over Linux Mint 16 - Mint is extremely intuitive to use, the Cinnamon desktop in Mint, for me, is a lot easier to adapt to (if you are a Windows user) than the Unity desktop
It is really simple to install and set-up. Comes with Firefox but you can easily add whatever browser you prefer (Opera or Chrome or more)
You use the software manager to find the applications you want and they will install automatically.
And installing xbmc is a breeze too - you will need to use the Terminal for the Beta but if you can cut/paste that is all you need. Big Grin

Ok thanks, I will consider it. How are updates handled? The nice thing about OE is that they beta test drivers, kernel, etc, before updates are issued and they happen automatically. No work for the end user and fewer surprises.
Mint is essentially ubuntu based, so the usual apt-get update && apt-get upgrade cycle.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You don't even have to do that - just use the update manager from the desktop
Whatever tool you use, it all comes back to apt-get Smile

Also update manager is crap with a remote. apt-get is always available over ssh.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Using my DVB-S2 PCTV 461e USB Stick would require a Linux Kernel >= 3.14. Is it possible somehow to update the Kernel of Openelec Gotham to 3.14 RC?
Current openelec beta (3.95.1==4.0beta1) has kernel 3.13.5.

I don't think you'll get 3.14 without compiling openelec yourself, which is not that hard.

What module do you require? I'll see if it is on my openelec system.

PS I see openelec master was updated to 3.13.6 two days ago.

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...6cd73db42a

PPS they also include a number of kernel patches, I am not sure if any of these hep you, I'll leave it to you to look through them. https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...hes/3.13.6

If you are building your own, it would probably be easier to stick to 3.13.16 and include a patch for your driver. Having said that I don't know what your driver is or how much it affects other kernel stuff.
Here I go again - this thread seems to imply that someone successfully built this driver into openelec https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2835
  • 165(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7