• 209(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Funny my ION does 3d.

What do you mean "run 3d" though? XBMC does not (and will not until ffmpeg does it) decode MVC 3d, so bluray discs or isos will not work in XBMC, no matter what computer you buy. You can use a 3rd party player from XBMC in windows.

On the other hand if you are looking for framepacked output (which is a different animal, although often confused) then there has been some success (again in windows, but with the right hardware - perhaps an nvidia graphics card, but don't quote me) via afedchin's builds.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for the reply, I see that I need to do some further research Smile
I was under the impression I could play 3d x264 coded files. But perhaps not.
https://communities.intel.com/message/219023 seems to answer some questions regarding 4k.
OK a little history: go back to frodo - half sbs and half tab files play fine for most people - the computer thinks it is just a 1920x1080 frame and sends it as such out the hdmi port.

The TV sees it as a 3D file, generally because it is told to do so by the user via the tv's remote control. It interprets the sbs or tab file accordingly and does the right thing. But xbmc knows nothing about the difference between 2d and 3d, it is simply passing the signal on same as it would for any 1080p movie. Bring up the OSD and all is f***ed up, because the TV doesn't know that the OSD overlay is any different to the sbs/tab signal and drops it all over the place. Also because ffmpeg doesn't know about MVC it doesn't render MVC in 3D, it renders it in the 2D view.

Move on to Gotham, it can render the OSD in 3d and will do so when it recognises a 3D movie. It recognises that by the filename - it knows strings like SBS, HSBS, TAB, HTAB in the filename. However this only tells it to render the OSD in the correct fashion, it knows nothing about what buttons it has to press on your TV remote to switch it to the correct 3D mode. There are some addons developed by Clever People ™ which can switch TVs to the correct 3D mode via the TV's network control protocol or some other such voodoo, but such protocols are very manufacturer and model dependent. Many people will still have to use their TV remote.

TVs are however trained to switch to 3D mode when they receive a framepacked signal http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-packing-3d/ . This is a signal where each frame is sent as two subframes with special signalling, namely a 45 pixel blanking between the two subframes. The signalling tells the TV what to do. The TV says "this is a framepacked signal, the top subframe is the left eye, the other subframe is the right eye, act accordingly." Trouble is most graphics cards cannot send this type of signal. Afedchin's builds can do it on the right OS and video card.

TL;DR for 3D to work as people expect when they compare to their 3D Bluray player, XBMC needs to support MVC to decode the Bluray format for 3D, and needs to output framepacked output via some open source driver.

Probably the current over obsession for 3D will dissipate before that happens. I quite like 3D myself, but find it majorly overused and abused.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Got it, thanks that was very helpful!
(2014-05-15, 10:54)Rusty_nl Wrote: Got it, thanks that was very helpful!
Hope I got it all right!
(2014-05-15, 09:38)Rusty_nl Wrote: In a impulse buy I ended up ordering an LG 55LA9709 4K capable TV earlier this week.

Now I am looking around for a new XBMC HTPC. Currently I run a old Asrock Ion 330. Which is perfect for now.
But lacks the 3D and 4K capabilities.

I am now tempted to buy a NUC to replace it.
What would be the mimimum hardware (i3, i5) that I would need to run 3D and 4K without issues on the NUC?

The only 4k content out there is on Netflix (House of Cards and Breaking Bad), so you'll probably want to go with Windows 8 instead of OpenElec because the DRM garbage for SuperHD is Windows only. I believe the announcement stated that the 4k streams are available only to built-in television apps from a few manufacturers, but I'm assuming Netflix will broaden deployment at some point. Amazon also promised 4k content at CES, which presumably will be more linux friendly.

I think it'll be a while before disc/XBMC content is available. The streaming guys are blowing right past the studio/hardware squabbles over standards.
I have an i5 Intel Nuc on it's way to me today from Amazon along with 8GB of RAM and a 120 mSata SSD. This will be used solely to run XBMC - overkill I know but why not?

I plan to run Openelec and I have my USB install stick ready to go. My question is this:

I've already got XBMC running very well on an old desktop tower and I've got my Harmony remote working wonderfully with it. Can I simply copy my keyboard.xml file into my openelec file structure (in the right place obviously) or will that not work? I'm using the MCE Keyboard device in my harmony setup and I've just mapped my Harmony remote to all the various key presses. It works fantastic in Windows. Will it work like this in Openelec?
You won't need to do anything to the remote. oE will love your remote as it is.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-05-17, 18:45)jammyb Wrote: You won't need to do anything to the remote. oE will love your remote as it is.

I've got some custom key presses that take me directly to certain Playlists like "Kids DVDs"
In XBMC or programmed on myharmony.com?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-05-17, 19:06)jammyb Wrote: In XBMC or programmed on myharmony.com?

In the XBMC keymap
For instance I use F2 to go directly to only my Kids DVDs playlist , F3 goes directly to TV Shows, etc. it allows me to set these up as activities on the remote and increases the wife acceptance factor greatly!
Maybe an off-topic question... Does anyone know where I can get drivers for d54250wyk? Intel's download center seems to be down for some time already.
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/tre...iktreiber/
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/tre...tztreiber/
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/tre...chnologie/
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/tre...-wireless/
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/tre...ctions-cd/
| myHTPC |
  • 209(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7