• 210(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-05-17, 22:18)-DDD- Wrote: http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/tre...iktreiber/
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/tre...tztreiber/
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/tre...chnologie/
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/tre...-wireless/
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/tre...ctions-cd/

awesome, thanks!
(2014-05-17, 18:46)mebby Wrote:
(2014-05-17, 18:45)jammyb Wrote: You won't need to do anything to the remote. oE will love your remote as it is.

I've got some custom key presses that take me directly to certain Playlists like "Kids DVDs"

With your harmony setup, are you using the "MCE Keyboard" device to send keyboard keys/codes to XBMC? Eg P for Play X for Stop etc... This is the same way I have mine setup and as you say works perfectly in windows but Ive always wondered whether OpenElec would also honour those keyboard IR codes, or if it only understands the MCE remote commands like Play Stop etc (not keyboard codes A-Z 1-0 tab enter etc). Hopefully it sounds like it may well support them out of the box, which makes it much more easy for me to shift to OE (eg on my celeron NUC where bitstream DTS-MA is not workign due to driver/intel issue, but in OE it's apparently fine). I didnt want to have to redo my logitech remote setup if I was only giving OE "a try"

Sounds interesting binding a keypress to go to certain playlists - what does the XBMC keymap entry for that look like? Are these "smart playlists" or something else? I tried using them but they dont seem to sync between multiple XBMC clients, eventhough Im using the mysql database for shared library. I guess they are stored per client which makes it a bit less friendly to set them up if you have multiple clients. How have you done a smart playlist for kids movies, for example (what criteria did you use)? It would be best if I could just have a key mapped to go to a file/folder location rather than a playlist, is that possible?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-05-17, 19:53)mebby Wrote: For instance I use F2 to go directly to only my Kids DVDs playlist , F3 goes directly to TV Shows, etc. it allows me to set these up as activities on the remote and increases the wife acceptance factor greatly!

the answer is yes, you can simply copy your keyboard.xml over and it should work just fine.
(2014-05-18, 01:10)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2014-05-17, 18:46)mebby Wrote:
(2014-05-17, 18:45)jammyb Wrote: You won't need to do anything to the remote. oE will love your remote as it is.

I've got some custom key presses that take me directly to certain Playlists like "Kids DVDs"

With your harmony setup, are you using the "MCE Keyboard" device to send keyboard keys/codes to XBMC? Eg P for Play X for Stop etc... This is the same way I have mine setup and as you say works perfectly in windows but Ive always wondered whether OpenElec would also honour those keyboard IR codes, or if it only understands the MCE remote commands like Play Stop etc (not keyboard codes A-Z 1-0 tab enter etc). Hopefully it sounds like it may well support them out of the box, which makes it much more easy for me to shift to OE (eg on my celeron NUC where bitstream DTS-MA is not workign due to driver/intel issue, but in OE it's apparently fine). I didnt want to have to redo my logitech remote setup if I was only giving OE "a try"

Sounds interesting binding a keypress to go to certain playlists - what does the XBMC keymap entry for that look like? Are these "smart playlists" or something else? I tried using them but they dont seem to sync between multiple XBMC clients, eventhough Im using the mysql database for shared library. I guess they are stored per client which makes it a bit less friendly to set them up if you have multiple clients. How have you done a smart playlist for kids movies, for example (what criteria did you use)? It would be best if I could just have a key mapped to go to a file/folder location rather than a playlist, is that possible?

Well... I haggled with this nearly all day yesterday. Getting Openelec installed on my new NUC was ridiculously easy. Getting the remote to work was a bit of a struggle. I've got it working reasonably well but I've still got some things to work out.

First of all - OE doesn't appear to recognize many of the MCE keyboard commands via IR. The key presses just don't register. Oddly enough though - when using my keyboard those key presses work beautifully. I would've thought that changing the setting to have remote presses send keyboard commands would've solved it but nope. I even tried this using my MCE IR receiver that plugs in via USB. No dice. It recognizes some of the commands but not most.

I ended up changing my Harmony setup to use an MCE Extender instead of the MCE Keyboard and things started getting much easier. The only problem with this option is that there aren't nearly as many readily available custom commands. With the keyboard option you can use all sorts of special keys (like all the F keys for instance... F1, F2, etc) but with the MCE Extender you basically are limited to Red, Yellow, Green, Blue (and maybe My Videos, My Music, etc but I haven't tried this yet).

So where before I had F2 going straight to Baby DVDs and F3 going straight to DVDs it's now replaced with the color buttons for the MCE Extender.

To answer you question regarding the keymap file - it looks like this:

<red>ActivateWindow(Video,"special://profile/playlists/video/Baby.xsp")</red>

In my Windows version of XBMC I could get these to go straight to paths in addition to Playlists (as you can see - I'm using Playlists here) but I can't seem to get that to work in OE for some reason. You just replace everything after "(Video,) with the path. Just FYI - the Playlist option is nice because you can really customize things. For instance I have movies like Shrek in my Kids DVD folder and I have all of the non-kid DVDs in a folder named DVD. I've created a tag called Family and then tagged certain "Kids DVDs" with the Family tag and then I've defined my DVDs Playlist to go to the DVD Path AND pull in all movies tagged Family. Works great.

The one limitation with Playlists is that they can only store movies, episodes, or both. So for things like Home Videos where you aren't scraping information, a Playlist won't work. So the only one to use a key press to get directly to Home Videos (that I know of) is to use the ActivateWindow command but have it go directly to a folder path. BUT... I can't seem to get this to work very well with OE.

Anyone successfully use the MCE Keyboard device on a Harmony with OE?

If I can't find a way to use the MCE Keyboard device then I'll use my old Pronto to teach RCA codes to the Harmony and then assign those to the XBMC Keymap to run all my special commands (like FullScreen, and Home).

It's odd to me that OE is any different than XBMC on Windows. I wonder if it's a NUC thing or an OE thing?
I've never had to touch XBMC settings for harmony remotes.

I've programmed all the buttons on my harmony.com

Everything on mine works.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-05-18, 17:06)jammyb Wrote: I've never had to touch XBMC settings for harmony remotes.

I've programmed all the buttons on my harmony.com

Everything on mine works.

Yea - I agree that it works for all the basic/critical stuff without any additional work. But if you want to do anything a little more outside of the box then you have to work for it a bit, which is to be expected but I was just hoping that OE would act just like XBMC for Windows (just without all the bloat and hassle of trying to turn a Windows machine into an XBMC appliance).

I guess I just want the best of both worlds. Big Grin I'm sure I'll eventually get it just how I want it. The benefits of OE for me, far outweigh the things that I don't love about it though.
(2014-05-17, 18:02)mebby Wrote: I have an i5 Intel Nuc on it's way to me today from Amazon along with 8GB of RAM and a 120 mSata SSD. This will be used solely to run XBMC - overkill I know but why not?

I plan to run Openelec and I have my USB install stick ready to go. My question is this:

I've already got XBMC running very well on an old desktop tower and I've got my Harmony remote working wonderfully with it. Can I simply copy my keyboard.xml file into my openelec file structure (in the right place obviously) or will that not work? I'm using the MCE Keyboard device in my harmony setup and I've just mapped my Harmony remote to all the various key presses. It works fantastic in Windows. Will it work like this in Openelec?

i have a D34010WYKH1 which is an i3 and i put a 120GB mSATA and 8 GB of ram in it im running Openelec and even with uncompressed MKV files they play smooth your i5 will work just fine. i got a Probox from amazon for $99 bucks its set to power down when the NUC goes turns off. it was a lot cheaper then building or buying a NAS. i went from windows 7 to this took me like 2 hours of reading if that to learn how to work Openelec. The harmony remote will work my 600 does.

Probox:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X26...UTF8&psc=1
So I think I'm missing something when it comes to IR commands on Openelec. How can I tell what command OE is registering when I press a remote button? If I knew that then I could easily change the behavior of the button press to my liking.

I've been using IRW to see what it says. For instance, I'm trying to get the "media" button from MCE Extender take me to the Home window. When I press the Media button and see what IRW tells me it say "MEDIA" so I created the following keymap:

<media>ActivateWindow(Home)</media>

Doesn't work. I've following this same process for mapping the red, yellow, green, and blue buttons and it works perfectly but not for any other commands so far. What am I missing?
Dangit. RCA codes apparently aren't recognized either. I've got to be missing something.

I can tell that my IR receiver is picking up the code because it flashes (for now I'm using the MCE IR receiver) but no button presses are registering in IRW.

I've mapped the RCA codes in the keymap file as well. Just confused.
OK - got it figured out. Works beautifully now. Read the following link very carefully. Excellent tutorial. Basically, the base files that control the mapping of IR codes to XBMC commands (lircmap.xml) and then the mapping of the XBMC commands to actual actions (remote.xml) are in a spot that I can't see through an SMB share so you have to SSH in and copy them out to a folder that you can see them and from there you can basically do whatever you want.

http://intelnuc.blogspot.fi/2014/01/mapp...ntrol.html
(2014-05-19, 05:17)mebby Wrote: OK - got it figured out. Works beautifully now. Read the following link very carefully. Excellent tutorial. Basically, the base files that control the mapping of IR codes to XBMC commands (lircmap.xml) and then the mapping of the XBMC commands to actual actions (remote.xml) are in a spot that I can't see through an SMB share so you have to SSH in and copy them out to a folder that you can see them and from there you can basically do whatever you want.

I read the info but it seems to just be how to map commands that IRW recognises, to XBMC labels and then further XBMC labels to XBMC actions. I thought the problem was that "MCE Keyboard" IR codes were not being recognised by IRW?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-05-19, 07:53)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2014-05-19, 05:17)mebby Wrote: OK - got it figured out. Works beautifully now. Read the following link very carefully. Excellent tutorial. Basically, the base files that control the mapping of IR codes to XBMC commands (lircmap.xml) and then the mapping of the XBMC commands to actual actions (remote.xml) are in a spot that I can't see through an SMB share so you have to SSH in and copy them out to a folder that you can see them and from there you can basically do whatever you want.

I read the info but it seems to just be how to map commands that IRW recognises, to XBMC labels and then further XBMC labels to XBMC actions. I thought the problem was that "MCE Keyboard" IR codes were not being recognised by IRW?

You are correct. I couldn't get the MCE keyboard to work. I had to use the Media Center Extender and then follow the instructions on the blog. Still not nearly as ideal as the keyboard but it's at least functional.
What I'm struggling to understand is why my Celeron N2820 NUC works out of the box with BOTH the RC6 (MCE) & XBOX 360 remotes (on from cold boot using IR)? However, my i3 4250U NUC requires the patch for either remote to work.

Also ONLY the RC6 (MCE) remote will power on the i3 NUC from cold. The XBOX 360 remote will only work once OpenELEC has booted and allow the NUC to be powered off using the remote.

This makes me wonder if the XBOX 360 remote is emitting different IR codes for on/off (toggle commands)?

Like I said, the RC6 (MCE) remote powers the i3 NUC on & off.
You can check which command the remote is sending.

Run the following commands (stolen from OE wiki here: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Guide_...own_remote) in the console and see the actual commands that the remote is sending.

Code:
killall eventlircd
killall lircd
ir-keytable -p NEC,RC-5,RC-6,JVC,SONY,LIRC,OTHER
ir-keytable -c
ir-keytable -t

Some remotes send a separate command for power on and power off whereas some remote have a power toggle button.

I'm sure it does not help you, but my i3 NUC boots up nicely using the MCE remote I have - even from the total shutdown state. I do need to use the fix to get around the Intel BIOS bug that has been described a million times in this thread.
(2014-05-20, 12:56)trsqr Wrote: I'm sure it does not help you, but my i3 NUC boots up nicely using the MCE remote I have - even from the total shutdown state. I do need to use the fix to get around the Intel BIOS bug that has been described a million times in this thread.

Like I said... mine too, however, does not work with 360 remote.
  • 210(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7