• 228(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
fair enough.

FWIW, I have both the i3 and celeron ChromeBoxes, and the only difference I've found so far is slightly lower CPU usage on the i3 for Hi-10 playback, but neither drops frames or stutters, so pretty much equivalent IMO. I have not extensively tested resource-heavy skins to see if there's a difference there however.
(2014-07-29, 19:38)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-29, 19:35)voip-ninja Wrote: Thanks, and I think you did a good job of doing that. I think the i3 vs Celeron is slightly more "future proof" although that might not matter at all with the trend for XBMC towards lighter/cheaper and less capable boxes like FireTV and Raspberry Pi where users don't care about full codec support and true 1080p playback capability.

in terms of video decoding, there's no much (any?) difference between the HD4000 and HD4400, outside of 4K. The real issue is neither can (HW) decode x.265, so once XBMC starts supporting that, CPU power for software decoding will become relevant.

I'm in a minority - but I went for the i5 NUC for my main HTPC rather than a Celeron or i3 because I needed 4:2:2 H264 multithreaded software decoding of 1080/50i - and I wasn't convinced the i3 would be up to it.

When it comes to H265 HEVC 4K - the 2160/59.94p and 2160/50p stuff currently being broadcast OTA in the UK pushes my over clocked (4GHz) i7-2600K to the limits (it can do a crop but can't quite do a real-time scale to 1080p) using an OpenHEVC fork of ffplay (which is more efficient on Intel CPUs than standard ffmpeg AIUI) Obviously 2160/23.976p stuff will take less CPU - but at the moment I don't have access to those sources.
We are going to need hardware decoding of H265 and that's probably still a couple of years away from being affordable enough for the type of stuff us XBMC people are doing.
Just built my i5 NUC for HTPC - experimenting with OpenELEC now. I'm super excited about this, but I can already see that I'm going to need a NAS pretty soon. Tongue
(2014-07-29, 19:57)voip-ninja Wrote: We are going to need hardware decoding of H265 and that's probably still a couple of years away from being affordable enough for the type of stuff us XBMC people are doing.

Phoronix says that the next gen of nVidia cards will support HEVC decoding through VDPAU.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-28, 16:36)live4ever Wrote: Anyone test the new v27 of the BIOS?

Does it fix the boot issue when a USB3 drive is attached?
https://communities.intel.com/thread/46549

I would stay away from it ... after updating to this version, power on via IR is not working anymore while it should fix it !
Now I need to manually push the power button to enjoy OpenELEC ..

EDIT: I jumped from v25 to v27. Downgrading to v26 is still no solution :-( I'll hope returning to v25 solves my problem...
EDIT2: jumping back to v25 did not solve it ... will try to clear CMOS.
EDIT3: back on v27, but MCE doesn't work, I had to switch to XBOX360 remote. Now I can powertoggle my NUC on/off. Very strange ... it's IR-remote related.
Intel NUC BOXD34010WYK2 / Intel mSata 525 30GB / Kingston 8 GB / Intel 7260hmw
i updated to v27 bios and don't have any issue with IR power on
Do you know if you can power on nuc from flirc?
(2014-07-30, 18:25)sraptor Wrote: Do you know if you can power on nuc from flirc?

No - but why use a FLIRC on a Haswell NUC? It has IR built in. Or am I missing something?
Anyone else with D34010WYK running Ubuntu that are experiencing the IR receiver to become unresponsive when idling? To clarify what I mean, my nucs are always on, no hibernation or screen lock or anything like that. The only thing that happens when idling is that XBMC dims the screen. Then I have to push a button on the remote repeatedly maybe 10 times before it moves, then it's back to normal again, moving on every click. If I press one button slowly 5-10 times nothing happens. I need to press the button repeatedly and fast for the receiver or XBMC to pick it up, not sure on what end this lays yet.

Any ideas?

When i get a chance I am gonna try to wake it up (un-dim) with a keyboard first and then see if the remote is responsive on first press.
Hi guys, I've reviewed the thread briefly but not sure if I have found the solution to the following problem;

Periodically my i3 Haswell NUC turns itself on without any action from me. I have disabled Wake On LAN in the BIOS... what else can I try? I was strongly suspicious that another device activity on my Harmony remote was inadvertently activating the NUC but even after removing the offending device/activity the problem periodically happens... I will go to turn my system on and NUC is already on.

Additionally since AMP and TV were NOT on, the NUC is in a bad state and needs one or more reboots (in conjunction with re-starting the AVR typically) to clear it up.

Any advice is welcome.
i keep mine 24x7. when it needs a reboot i just have to remember to do it with receiver turned on for the hdmi handshake to succeed.
I hold mine in a sleep instead on off. No problems here.
When on off it takes 0.6 watts and in sleep it takes 1.2 watts. So, sleep it is.
(2014-08-08, 22:42)ciukacz Wrote: i keep mine 24x7. when it needs a reboot i just have to remember to do it with receiver turned on for the hdmi handshake to succeed.

That's kind of my point though. I power mine off when it's not the current activity to avoid exactly those kind of problems at start time.
Thumbs Up 
(2014-07-29, 19:47)Matt Devo Wrote: fair enough.

FWIW, I have both the i3 and celeron Chromeboxes, and the only difference I've found so far is slightly lower CPU usage on the i3 for Hi-10 playback, but neither drops frames or stutters, so pretty much equivalent IMO. I have not extensively tested resource-heavy skins to see if there's a difference there however.

Agreed. I have i3 NCU (windows 8.1) and Chromebox (running Openelec thanks to Matt) and haven't noticed any difference in playback.
Also, there have been questions about 3D playback on Chromebox. It plays SBS flawlessly. No lag or stuttering. I haven't had a chance to check full frame packed 3D yet and when I do, will definitely keep you guys posted.
Cool
  • 228(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7