Alternative to an Xtreamer Ultra 1
I'd like to replace my Xtreamer Ultra I box with a custom build. 2.5" hard drive is not enough for me ....
That's why I'm trying to build a cheap 3.5" compatible box which could be as good as my Xtreamer Ultra 1 (and upgratable).

I've come to this configuration, what do you think of it (is there cheaper for same performance, are all stuff compatible all together, ...)^

Streacom F7CB EVO 99,99 €
Be Quiet SilentWings 2 80 mm 17,49 €
Streacom Câble USB 3.0 internal - ST-SC30 13,99 €
Streacom NANO150 - 150W 99,99 €
Asus H81I-PLUS 77,49 €
G.Skill Extreme3 1 x 4 Go PC12800 Ripjaws CAS 9 37,95 €

Intel Pentium G3220 OR Intel Core i3 4130 ? 70 $ OR 130 $ ... (which would be enough for XBMC ? What would be the notable difference)
Total : 347,39 € + processor

Or maybe the ASUS VivoPC would be the best alternative ? For 199€ here.

You're free to give me any case's suggestions. Notice that I'd like to be close from such a dimension "242 x 251 x 66 mm" (like the Xtreamer Prodigy's size)
in your first build there is no processor...
I updated my post ! Thanx
if u are satisfied with Xtreamer 1 and only the size of hard disk is your problem, why dont you buy an external?

or you travel a lot and you take the xtreamer with you?
Indeed, I often travel so it's more conveniant for me to carry a single box with a few wires...
That's why I'd like a box with a 3.5" case (for my 2To HDD -I may also replace it with a 3-4 To drive in the future)

Also I'd like to find a good compromise between price and strength/feature (beneath 300€ is better to me)
btw the ones you suggested do not have IR receiver...

the 1st build is much more powerful than the asus vivo...

thus 2x price..

for what files you need it?
Essentialy 700 MB AVI files.

Sometimes 720p files
And rarely 1080p files

But it may change if I can use a larger HDD..

I'd like to have little better performances as I have with my Xtreamer Ultra 1 (because I often get some lags when browsing the library/scrapping/updating the database/and so on)

Also my Xtreamer runs Openelec, I may move to Windows (for µTorrent, easier shares, etc), I assume it may need some performance boost compared to Openelec... But it's not mandatory, Openelec is already a great, fast and easy solution !

Quote:btw the ones you suggested do not have IR receiver...
Are you talking about processors ... ? I forgot to include it in the price, indeed (that's not the more expansive part of the configuration, hopefully...)
a)IR Receiver is the part where you can control your HTPC equipment with a remote...
(alternative you may use your smartphone or tablet)

b) i would buy the asus if i were you...
cheaper...
it will fulfill your needs...
but for win7 i think 4gb of ram is needed...

the first choice is really great (especially with the i3) but costs twice the price..
What I worry with about the Asus box is that it isn't designed for Motherboard, cpu, gpu upgrades...
I could only change its ram and Hdd, am I wrong ?

Using the first solution would allow me to upgrade more things in it.. (And then keep it for longer)

Aren't there any alternative to the hardware of the first solution to lower its price under my 300€ limit ?
Like Using another power supply, fan, Motherboard or so ?
Intel tends to change socket almost every year... Wink

if you get the i3 it will serve you for many many many years

you could go cheaper if you buy a Celeron1007U (motherboard and proccessor around 90$)
Talking about i3 for the ASUS VivoPC ? (if it's the case, it only supports 2.5" HDD ...)

Using a Celeron (G1610) configuration for my custom build makes me a 367,69 € total (without infrared receiver) :
Streacom Câble USB 3.0 interne - ST-SC30 13,99 €
Streacom F7CB EVO - Noir 99,99 €
Streacom NANO150 - 150W 99,99 €
Be Quiet SilentWings 2 80 mm 17,49 €
Intel Celeron G1610 Dual Core 38,95 €
G.Skill Kit Extreme3 2 x 2 Go PC10600 NQ 45,39 €
MSI B75MA-E33 49,39 €

353,69 € without internal usb 3 wires...

The power supply is still expansive ... Couldn't I use a cheaper alternative ?

Maybe a cheaper case / barebone suggestion ? (with similar characteristics -size, 3.5" HDD, ...)
(2013-10-30, 11:51)jsn.crdnl Wrote: Talking about i3 for the ASUS VivoPC ? (if it's the case, it only supports 2.5" HDD ...)

no i meant the Celeron Asus Vivo with 199 euro
OK for CPU !

What about GPU difference between my current Xtreamer Ultra 1 ( nVidia ION2 (+ Integrated Intel Atom D525 GPU ?) ) and the VivoPC (Integrated Intel HD Graphics ?) ?

I don't want to lower my specs/perfs (going from Xtreamer Ultra 1 to VivoPC VM40B) ; Let's say that if I have to change my HTPC, I prefer to gain in perfs and not the opposite..
Celeron is a bit faster than atom...
you dont lower the specs regarding integrated gpu..

in the end it is
400 euros (for the i3 - streacom build) vs 200 euros..(asus vivo celeron)
What would you think of a configuration with a different case :

I found a case + its power supply Inter-Tech Mini ITX E-i7 84W schwarz for € 74,12...
Case have a dimension near my needs (95 x 245 x 236mm) and supports 3.5" HDD

It would reduce the price (using the Intel Celeron G1610 for the custom build) to 227,83 €.
Does this configuration seams ok / inter-compatible to you ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alternative to an Xtreamer Ultra 10