Q190 DUAL BOOT
Hi there folks,

Just a quick question. Does anybody use the Lenovo Q190 (1017U) with Openelec to run XBMC but also boot into windows 8 for general useage (downloading media content)? I know you could just run XBMC through windows but I keep reading about how smooth xbmc runs on Openelec. My thoughts are to download content in windows saving it to the internal drive and then having Openelec access the internal hard drive for content. Make sense?

I don't yet have a NAS and in fact I don't even have any other computers at the moment so I'm looking to this as an all around htpc option for the time being.
Just boot openelec off of USB. When you need windows remove the USB and boot. From my experience XBMC on windows is better than openelec in many ways for my usage.
Thanks milli, might just be more trouble than its worth.
I dual boot WIN 7 with UBUNTU 12.4 on my Q190.... XBMC on ubuntu is a lot faster than on windows.
I tried WIN 8 but the UBUNTU installer couldn't see i had win 8 installed.
I use XBMC on Windows 8 every day. It works great. Speed is not a problem.

I had a problem with XBMC on my old Windows PC, but I think it was the computer (not enough RAM) and not the programming. I also use XBMC on a Windows 7 laptop with no problem.

I am waiting on a delivery of the Q190. It has almost the same specs as the Windows 8 PC I use now. You should have no problem with it.

Why bother going to all the trouble of openelec or Ubuntu when all you have to do is download, install, set up, and enjoy?Huh
(2013-10-29, 20:50)blasty Wrote: Why bother going to all the trouble of openelec or Ubuntu when all you have to do is download, install, set up, and enjoy?Huh

This was kind of what I was getting at with my question. Thanks for taking the time. I see this computer can be had for $299 right now. Probably go ahead and pull the trigger on it.
I haven't done it on a q190 but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you use the GRUB boot loader you can use a add on I put together to reboot once to another os with no keyboard,

http://openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/6235...another-os

@blasty: because Linux is better for a media centre Wink
Never used Openelec but I am justn ot sure why so many people are averse to using Windows as OS for XBMC.

I rarely have any issues.
Waste of time/money/resources are good enough reasons.
I have used both, but on single purpose device Openelec rules. You just cant beat that boot time.
On a device wiith additional duties Windows is perfectly fine.
(2013-10-31, 00:07)Meelisv Wrote: On a device wiith additional duties Windows is perfectly fine.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am at with this. In the future I would like to buid a NAS but for the moment, this is it.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Q190 DUAL BOOT0