dropping samba shares
I'm running OE 3.2.3 (with Frodo 12.2) so I'm not sure I'll get much help here but I thought I'd try.

I have a samba share on my windows 7 computer. After coming out of suspend my OE box seems to drop my SAMBA share. Playing any file gives me a message saying the file is unavailable. If I drop out of the library and use the FILES listing I get a message saying either:
"error, connection timed out"
or
"remote share, could not connect to network server"
or
"remote share, path not found or invalid"

If I try to add a new source and select BROWSE/WINDOWS NETWORK I don't see my workgroup.
(my PC is NOT on the workgroup called WORKGROUP).

If I go to SETTING/NETWORK/SMB CLIENT my workgroup name is correct (ie it matches my PC).

I can see the windows 7 share on my other computers (OSX)

I've even tried using the IP address of the win7 computer.

The only thing that resolves this is to reboot my windows 7 computer. However the next time I put my OE into suspend the share is lost again.

Anyone have any ideas?
Yes, try to restart networking on the OE box after resuming, if this corrects the issues then you know that the networking service is not restarting properly on resume (old problem in Linux generally speaking) , tbh there's likely no solution in OE because its config files are locked from user Youd need to patch OE source code and recompile), but Regular Linux you make a restart networking on resume script and thats well documented on the interwebs.
(2013-10-30, 20:03)uNiversal Wrote: Yes, try to restart networking on the OE box after resuming, if this corrects the issues then you know that the networking service is not restarting properly on resume (old problem in Linux generally speaking) , tbh there's likely no solution in OE because its config files are locked from user Youd need to patch OE source code and recompile), but Regular Linux you make a restart networking on resume script and thats well documented on the interwebs.

If that's the case shouldn't a complete reboot solve the problem? Only rebooting the win7 box and then rebooting the OE box fixes the problem.
See which one the service is hanging, if its both then your proble is on both
(2013-11-01, 01:14)uNiversal Wrote: See which one the service is hanging, if its both then your proble is on both

I'm not sure what this means?
Neither am I. I think he is trying to ask if the smb service on the windows machine stops. Are you sleeping the windows server too?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Im asking the to check the Machines running Linux or Openelec its a common problem that when they resume from suspend the networking service doesn't resume gracefully so check which one issue is corrected by restarting networking service (if at all possible in OE. If restarting the service resolves the issue the fix is to get a restart networking on resume script somewhere.

Rebooting is restarting all the services from scratch, its rather crude, but if this is solution then dont suspend any machines as it wont help troubleshooting. Heck never mind.
And given that rebooting the Linux machine doesn't work unless the windows system is also rebooted means that this isn't a Linux problem.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-02, 20:27)nickr Wrote: And given that rebooting the Linux machine doesn't work unless the windows system is also rebooted means that this isn't a Linux problem.

I would almost say "correct" but I don't understand why OSX can still see the win7 box.
My guess is the sevices that resume networking are dead. so restarting both networking services should be indicative that this is what I say or something else. Rebooting both systems troubleshoots squat, If one macine is unafected that perhaps means tehe way resume is handled is better.This is where I get out, too many Indians.
(2013-11-03, 01:08)rcrh Wrote:
(2013-11-02, 20:27)nickr Wrote: And given that rebooting the Linux machine doesn't work unless the windows system is also rebooted means that this isn't a Linux problem.

I would almost say "correct" but I don't understand why OSX can still see the win7 box.

I missed that!
Well, I found reference to a win error in this article
www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-samba-errnomem.html
I've applied the changes suggested and so far so go.
I'll report back in a couple of days and hopefully the error won't return.
Great work. Still doesn't explain the difference with OSX.
(2013-11-04, 03:30)nickr Wrote: Great work. Still doesn't explain the difference with OSX.

yeah, I agree but I'll be happy if xbmc stays connected to my win7 box.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
dropping samba shares0