Req Allow management of python modules
When in the Addon management screen (System->Addons) you can manage any addon available that you have installed or is available to you

Except - any addon that is solely marked as xbmc.python.module (correct me if I'm wrong here, I believe this is the correct condition that excludes them from showing)

Can these types of addons be:

1. Listed in their own sub-folder along with others addons? Allow the full management - install/uninstall, edit settings, change log etc.
The ideal locations I believe would be System->Addons-Get Addons, Enabled Addons, Disabled Addons

2. Show status message on update installed - currently it will only show if an update has failed

Reason - many issues have popped up in the past including:

- accidentally removed
- failed update
- did not get downloaded/detected causing other addons to show dependencies not met
- cannot tell which version of the module they have installed - unknown if they received x.y.z update

Also as a more notable reason, some of these modules also come along with they're own user settings which currently we are forced to expose inside the addons, which can confuse users as they may think they are applying these settings on a per addon basis rather than configuring the actual underlying module that is consumed by multiple addons

I maintain 1 module in particular where I run into this issue quite often - script.module.metahandlers

And with other addons I have used or maintain have also run into the missing dependencies problems and need to manually installed it, very difficult to explain to novice users how to do

Maybe there is a reason these types of addons are not displayed to us that I'm not aware of?
The only reason they're not displayed is that they were intended to be hidden from the user (i.e. why should the user care about some support module).

Clearly they're being used for things that do require showing in the UI, so this reasoning is invalid.

There's a couple of things that would need doing though (showing in the UI is the easy bit), the main one is that when you disable an add-on, we don't currently check for things like other add-ons that are dependent on it. We do it on uninstall, so this should be an easy fix.

Note that we need this anyway as some skins depend on scripts (forced dependency) - it just so happens that the script isn't a dealbreaker for a skin - things will fail but the skin will still work for the most part (save errors in the log and perhaps notifications in the UI).

Anything else I might be missing?

Regarding something failing to install some dependency, couldn't the user uninstall the main add-on and reinstall it again - that should re-force the dep download?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Are you sure that we check the dependencies on uninstall? I once looked into that several months ago and I was able to uninstall addons that the youtube addon dependent upon and then when I tried to launch the youtube addon, it failed to load.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2013-10-31, 08:49)Montellese Wrote: Are you sure that we check the dependencies on uninstall? I once looked into that several months ago and I was able to uninstall addons that the youtube addon dependent upon and then when I tried to launch the youtube addon, it failed to load.

that should have worked upon on time in the past
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master....po#L11726
haven't looked for the commit that added it
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-10-31, 00:09)jmarshall Wrote: Regarding something failing to install some dependency, couldn't the user uninstall the main add-on and reinstall it again - that should re-force the dep download?

couldn't we run check on startup if all dependencies are installed and if not try to reinstall them?
atm we only see if they are met and then mark broken.

also this problems pops up that if repo is empty this problems also appears. so it seems it prefers the repo list above the ones actually installed. will need to verify this to be sure.
Thanks guys, glad this one is getting attention
The bit for checking before disabling an add-on is in PR3602.

@Martijn: You mean not only check for updated add-ons (and broken add-ons) but also check if there are add-ons that should be installed but aren't? (I'm not sure how that can happen other than the user removing an add-on from outside of XBMC, but still, it should be doable to check I think).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-11-09, 03:52)jmarshall Wrote: The bit for checking before disabling an add-on is in PR3602.

@Martijn: You mean not only check for updated add-ons (and broken add-ons) but also check if there are add-ons that should be installed but aren't? (I'm not sure how that can happen other than the user removing an add-on from outside of XBMC, but still, it should be doable to check I think).

That is indeed what I mean.
Perhaps that would also partly help solve this http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13918
I'm glad this is getting attention to.

It would be really nice to have script modules visible either full-time, or when an option is enabled via an advanced option to the side panel.

Would also be nice for end-users to have a way to see from within XBMC what requirements are marked in the addon.xml, similar to the change log or description maybe. Although at the moment it's not hard to goto the mirrors ftp where XBMC.org has the common files (good idea for new users to set as a source), people still have to ask around to find out what modules are required by addons, as is harder with devices compared to those being on a PC and know enough how to locate and pop their addon.xml open in notepad.
Just wondering if this would still be on radar for Gotham, or has missed the boat?
Just bumping this thread as I am just now starting to use Isengard and see some nice changes in the addons menu

The above feature I requested made it in to I believe Helix and we were able to browse and install/uninstall script addons, see the updates etc.

In Isengard it seems that we can no longer view available script addons, though we can see those that are installed via the addons -> system -> dependencies menu and managed them there

It would be nice to have the ability back to be able to browse the repo for available scripts and install, this helps when updates fail, dependencies not met errors etc. which do still happen occassionally
(2015-09-29, 23:08)Eldorado Wrote: Just bumping this thread as I am just now starting to use Isengard and see some nice changes in the addons menu

The above feature I requested made it in to I believe Helix and we were able to browse and install/uninstall script addons, see the updates etc.

In Isengard it seems that we can no longer view available script addons, though we can see those that are installed via the addons -> system -> dependencies menu and managed them there

It would be nice to have the ability back to be able to browse the repo for available scripts and install, this helps when updates fail, dependencies not met errors etc. which do still happen occassionally

We need to fix why the it fails not work around it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allow management of python modules0