Smart Playlist not updating
Hi all,

I have searched and searched but I can't figure out what is going on. I am brand new to XBMC so I figured I would ask all you super nice experts.

I wanted to have Kids Movies separated from regular movies, so after doing a bunch of research, I used Smart Playlists to make this happen.

I disabled the normal Movies category and set up 2 custom categories: one as 'Movie' and one as 'Kids Movies'. I made a Playlist for both using the Rule of Path Starts With E:\My Movies (E:\Kids Movies). Everything looked great.

But, as I am ripping Blu Rays, renaming them, and putting them in the My Movies directory (in Windows 7), they are never showing up in my Library.

I have used the 'Update Library' command a bunch but nothing happens. I have restarted XBMC, the whole computer, etc. etc. No luck.

Can someone help me out here?

I read in a search about it caching... not sure how that works. Additionally, within XBMC, if I navigate through the file structure to the folder and play the file everything works perfect.

Thanks for helping this noob.
After renaming the file or folders you must delete the affected content from within XBMC. No worries as it will not delete anything from your source drives.

To do this simply have the focus on content to delete and press "C" for the Context menu. Then I think the option is called "Remove from Library" or something similar. After you've removed everything that changed, do your Update Library.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
(2013-11-01, 15:14)CaptainKen Wrote: After renaming the file or folders you must delete the affected content from within XBMC. No worries as it will not delete anything from your source drives.

To do this simply have the focus on content to delete and press "C" for the Context menu. Then I think the option is called "Remove from Library" or something similar. After you've removed everything that changed, do your Update Library.

Thanks for your reply.

I am not renaming anything. The Playlist is not updating when new movies are added.
I saw you mentioned renaming in initial post and took that the wrong way I guess.

There is a wierd quirk with the path setting in smart playlists. Change it from "starts with" to "contains" and that should fix it.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
Are you 100% sure the new movies are physically located in "E:\My Movies" and that they successfully scanned into the library? I know you said you hid the standard MOVIES option on the main menu, but do you still have the VIDEOS option? If so, try VIDEOS > Library > Titles and see if you can find the newly added movies in the library.
(2013-11-01, 21:00)artrafael Wrote: Are you 100% sure the new movies are physically located in "E:\My Movies" and that they successfully scanned into the library? I know you said you hid the standard MOVIES option on the main menu, but do you still have the VIDEOS option? If so, try VIDEOS > Library > Titles and see if you can find the newly added movies in the library.

The movies were definitely in the directory. But I could not get the Library to "see" them. I did just fix the issue.

In my NOOB-ish brain I don't think I understand what a 'Smart Playlist' is. I thought that, when using a Custom category, you just create the Smart Playlist and THAT is what populates your Library. But that didn't work at all so I just had to add the My Movies folder like I did originally.
Smart playlists only pull information from your library. So, when it's something like "starts with d:\Movies\Kids\", they still need to be scanned into your library before smart playlists will find them. After that though, you can still make a custom main menu "movies" folder that would exclude the kids movies(and/or anything else you wanted).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smart Playlist not updating0