VDR recordings/timeshift and teletext
Not sure if this is the right place but maybe somebody had the same problem already and knows an easy solution.

I was looking into why I don't have teletext when I timeshift under certain conditions (timeshifting with running recording) and it looks like the VDR recordings don't have any teletext at all. So after googling a bit I found some old discussions about patching vdr to allow teletext recording, but I couldn't find any recent infos on it. So my question is easy (I guess); Do I still need to patch and compile vdr myself to get teletext in recordings or is there an easier way by now?
AFAIK vdr still does not record teletext.
If vdr-plugin-ttxtsubs installed vdr should record teletext.
http://linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Ttxtsubs-plugin is saying that I need a patched and recompiled vdr too. Tried to compile it anyway and it's complaining about missing patches in vdr source dir, so I guess that confirms it. Thanks for the infos.
If you are using the one listed on vdrwiki, thats too old.
you can find the latest here: http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projec...subs/files
Nope, got it from the vdr git page (vdr-ttxtsubs-0.3.0.tar.gz). I'm pretty sure you wont get around compiling vdr with the included patches in ttxtsubs.

readme from 0.3.0 saying the same

Quote:The main responsibilities of the VDR patch are to enable the reception of the
teletext data stream and to discover the subtitle pages. So even without the
plug-in, the patch will allow you to record teletext subtitles, which e.g. can
be shown in 3'rd partly players like VLC.
The problem is XBMC developers isn't interested to support teletext for .ts files.

Intel Core i5 2320 8GB 500GB HDD - Tvheadend + Kodi, Raspberry Pi 3 - LibreELEC, HDHomeRun HDHR3-4DC, Epson TW3200, Pioneer VSX-1123
No it's not, the problem is VDR (or whatever backend you're using). XBMC has nothing at all to do with the creation of the file.
XBMC won't show subtitles anyway without support for it even with recorded teletext.
TVheadend can show for livetv because it has some own support for teletext but doesn't work for recorded files.
For that XBMC's Player need support for it.
Are you sure it doesn't record teletext? Tried press 'v' when you watch the recorded file? that should work but subtitles is ofcourse out of sync there.
Ofcourse you could try that patch but with XBMC it doesn't really matter right now.

Intel Core i5 2320 8GB 500GB HDD - Tvheadend + Kodi, Raspberry Pi 3 - LibreELEC, HDHomeRun HDHR3-4DC, Epson TW3200, Pioneer VSX-1123
Tvh and xbmc works with subs both on livetv and recordings if you default .mkv and not .ts
Yes but i record on my box and it records as .ts with everything in it. It records everything that comes in.
XBMC should support TELETEXT on .ts files before it's usable as a replacement for any box.
Transcoding to .mkv needs more cpu usage so that's not an option for everyone.
And if you stream from a linuxbox you need to setup virtual tuners.
vtuner doesn't even work with newer kernels.
But even if tvheadend and vdr supports subs with mkv it's still not TELETEXT as we talked about here.
Why is it so difficult for XBMC developers to fix support for sometinhg that most players and mediacenters already can do?

Lars told me, that this forum could help to solve a problem concerning subtitles.

My configuration:

linux vdr-server with several DVB-S receivers and the vnsi-server addon on the one side.

Some xbmc raspberry clients with a vnsi-plugin and some native vdr clients on the client side.

It is no problem to watch subtitles (and to look at teletext) from each client.
It is possible to record emissions that contain subtitles with the native vdr client and to watch the recordings with visible subtitles with both type of clients.
So both client types show the subtitles in a live emission and from a (vdr) recorded dvb-s stream.

BUT it sems not to be possible to record the emission with all the subitles by the means of the vnsi-server plugin/addon.

As you know, there are two types of subtitles; one is a function of teletext data transmission and the other is part of the DVB-S stream. As far as i can see the dvb-s stream should contain all these subtitles in my case.

Is it a mistake in my configuration or doesn't the vnsi-server save the complete dvb-s stream, so that subtitles are lost ?

mike
Recording is done by vdr only, vnsi just sets the timer. What do you consider the "native vdr client"? vdr does not record teletext so a recording won't have teletext subs. But a recording has dvb subs. What subs are you referring to?
As a "native client" i adress a vdr installation on linux which has its own output device (for example vdpau) and
either is connected to its own tv-input devices (in this case one or more dvb-s receivers)
or communicates via the streamdev client server protocol to a vdr server that has its own receiver devices:
http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projec...-streamdev.

In this wiki in german language:
http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Subtitles-plugin
is written: "Seit Version 1.6.0 unterstützt der VDR DVB-eigene Untertitel nativ und erfordert somit kein zusätzliches Plugin mehr."
My translation: Since version 1.60 VDR supports DVB-inherent subtitles nativ and doesn't need any more an additional plugin.

To my understanding Leatherface is wright in relation to the subtitle topic when he writes: "Yes but i record on my box and it records as .ts with everything in it", but he is wrong when he assumes that the subtitles are connected to the teletext feature because teletext seems not to be stored and the subtitles are not part of teletext.

I am very sure that Frank Schmirler could give you very precise informations about all these topics, because he is founding member of the vdr community and programmer of the streamdev plugin family too:
http://vdr.schmirler.de/ (and he is a very nice and supportive guy !!)
@FernetMenta i just realized that you should be a real insider in all this vdr stuff ...

It seems to me that there are two different ways of recording implemented in vdr ...

Some days ago, i recorded Pirates of the Caribbean broadcasted on BBC Three with a linux client with rpihddevice and the english subtitles are stored in the .ts stream ... Today i set timers for a new recording of the same film on BBC Three on the same (yavdr) server but with the help of "VDR Live" and no subtitles are available in the new records !!!

If you doubt my words i would be happy to send you the file with the recorded subtitles for your examinations ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDR recordings/timeshift and teletext0