xbmc needs
Hello All,
I'm migrating from googletv which is NOT doing it for me anymore. In short, I bought a Hisense pulse which limits the ability of our media center and my ability to tinker. However, in playing with gtv and the pulse, I learned what I really want. I want to build an XBMC box that reflects that, for as little as possible.

what I'm looking for

-linux (not sure if openelec is too limiting). If Openelec isnt enough, distro suggestions are welcome. I'm very familiar with tons of different distros, so that's not an issue.
-tv tuner for OTA integrated watching
-internal storage (2 TB sufficient)
-use of sickbeard/sabnzbd on a same machine
-lowest cost
-upgradable
- enough processing power to be able to stream live sports streams (college football primarily).
-solid case that doesnt limit upgrading future components (not too compact).

I'm sure there's already a forum post/build tailored to exactly this, but I wasnt able to find it, so my apologies.
All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
- openelec will probably be limiting if you want to integrate all that other stuff I would suggest Ubuntu LTS
- You have options as far as tuner cards I use HDHomerun external tuner and I use MythTV for backend
- Internal storage is limited by your system I use a NAS
- Ununtu LTS will support SB and SAB and CP
- Lowest cost is a vague figure do you have a figure in mind?
- Upgradeable to me doesn't matter since technology and prices are getting so low a new $300 box every few years is manageable.
You have lots of options for processing power like NUC, Q190, ATV1 with BCHD or any build with 4Gig of RAM or a recent processor.
- NUC, Q190 and ATV1 have a case that is limiting but are also very quiet and low power consuption.

My Advice after years of XBMC is build a NAS using unRaid for storage so it can grow and run SB/CP/SAB on the NAS build a low power PC as your back-end using Ubuntu with MythTV and get simple low cost clients like ATV1, NUC or Q190, hardwire everything and all you will need to upgrade in the future are the clients which will be a way down the road.

I like it broken up so that when I upgrade my NAS or TV tuner system my clients are not affected and vice versa, I had an all in one system at one point but it became a single point of failure and my kids need their TV when they need it so having it broken up I can upgrade and mess with pieces as I need.
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-11-02, 19:53)nokdim Wrote: My Advice after years of XBMC is build a NAS using unRaid for storage so it can grow and run SB/CP/SAB on the NAS build a low power PC as your back-end using Ubuntu with MythTV and get simple low cost clients like ATV1, NUC or Q190, hardwire everything and all you will need to upgrade in the future are the clients which will be a way down the road.

I like it broken up so that when I upgrade my NAS or TV tuner system my clients are not affected and vice versa, I had an all in one system at one point but it became a single point of failure and my kids need their TV when they need it so having it broken up I can upgrade and mess with pieces as I need.

I hear ya-- building that means building two PCs though. Currently, I'm trying to migrate from having a desktop PC that runs sickbeard/plex and a gtv that runs plex. GTV is on its way out, my device wont be updated, I dont know that I want to hack it and risk bricking it, and so I'm looking to go a similar route where I have more control.

I was hoping to do an "all in one" type of automated solution for about $500. Wont building a front-end and a backend two computer setup like you're talking about cost more than that? I see the advantage you're talking about. I dont have kids, though so part of that is nill for me.

I've been very happy with my desktop- a machine that's run linux 90% of the time (windows 7 for a few school things). It's lasted 7 years and I feel like that's largely because I chose well and had the option to upgrade. I changed graphics cards and bought 4 GB of ram pretty early on, and that's all I've had to do. Hoping to kinda replicate that (maybe not 7 years-- that's a lot) but kinda the same philosophy of getting hardware that I can extend and expand if needed.

I'd rather do that then build a new one every three years- that seems very "windowsish" to me, tbh.
I'm thinking about something like this (http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/budget-htpc/)
but with a tv tuner card, which I think would still be under $500. Not the case I'd ultimately want, but I'd be able to upgrade that in time potentially. Perhaps I'd just be more comfortable with either the budget or the "value" HTPC's listed on that site.
I've been thinking about this more and more ,and reading. Is there a cheap way to do this where I have two computers? I'd be very open to that, so long as it doesnt mean I'm locked into anything like I've become with google tv. I'm greatly irritated by the fact that I cant upgrade my software.
If you plan to run unbuntu then a $500 AIO system may be possible. A few questions -

1. What kind of media to you intend to play?
2. How many devices will this HTPC stream to?
3. Who is your cable provider and what kind of content do you have access to?
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc needs0