"Out of memory" Win 8.1
Since I've installed Windows 8.1, I have been getting message boxes in Windows saying that: Windows have ran out of memory" and it wants to shut down XBMC and other programs i got running.
Now the strange thing is that I got 16gb ram, and 25gb free space on my SSD.
I have tried turning of the Hibernation file, and turning on the pagefile.
But non of them helps.
I get the error even if i have no other programs running in the background.

When I go in to the activity monitor in windows, it shows I'm only using something like 20% of my memory.
I'm not sure if this is a Windows 8.1 related issue, or if it just a coincidence.
I'm running the newest released version of XBMC.
Actually I am running into sort of the same problem, with xbmc crashing twice today without mentioning anything for insufficient memory, Intel 4771, Hd 4600, 16gb Ram.
Any idea?
Care to try the upcoming 12.3 release?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176721

Or maybe a Gotham monthly version?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Sure I'll give it a try.
I've tried the newer version now. But I still have the same issue.
I did not how ever first uninstall XBMC before I installed the new one over it. Did I need to do that?
The issue is still that when I play videos i get the same error almost every time,
I read all my videos from my NAS, and they are always in a RAR archive. I'm not sure if this does any difference.
But like i said I have never had this issue before. And I've run XBMC for a few years now.
I have exactly the same issues. The movie dissapears and the dialogue box shows up telling there's not enough memory, movie sound still on and movie running in the background with XBMC minimized. System shows 20% menory used and I can click up XBMC and continue. Will happen once or twice during a movie.
XBMC is a 32-bit application. As such it is limited to 4GB of memory. Each 32-bit application running gets allocated its own 4 GB of memory space.

Out of memory errors are common on high resolution monitors due to this issue. You see it a lot in 32-bit games. A 2560 X 1600 monitor can easily flood the address space if you're not using hardware rendering. I'd check the video settings and make sure hardware acceleration is on and maybe play around with the render method.
It's the same computer and XBMC version and settings as before the win 8.1 upgrade and it didn't have any issues before. The alarm seem to be false as far from 4 GB is allocated in the system at the time.
A lot of people are actually getting this issue on different softwares and games.

Basically anything that uses true full screen will potentially trigger that error, this is a windows related error and has nothing to do with XBMC.
After investigating for a while, one quick-fix is to set XBMC to run in a full screen window instead of true full screen, It doesn't handle screensavers and sleep mode that though but at least you'll get rid of that stupid crash.

I'm still trying to figure out what causes this but it seems that a common factor is onboard graphics.

For users who can't wait for a fix, you can always roll back/reinstall windows 8 which does not seem to have this bug.

B.
I updated everything, BIOS,Graphic drivers (Intel 4000), XBMC. Havn't seen the error after that so it seems to have fixed it.
All is running well on the official FRODO build with the current drivers.
I've updated everything I could and still get the same issue.

The is a solution out there for that bug now: answers.microsoft.com

This solution does not however cover the case where you turn off your TV/receiver. As Windows does not detect a screen anymore, it changes Windows resolution to the lowest possible.
The only fix I can think of is to shutdown XBMC before turning off the TV set. Ideally this would be done autmatically. Does anyone have any idea how to do that? Like using the ARC signal of the hdmi or something like "if Windows resolution changes, then shutdown XBMC".

I guess I will write a script while waiting for a windows/driver patch but I don't have that much time these days.
Edit: doesn't seem to work with windows 8.1 so I deleted the post.
actually I had the same problem and it worked just fine by adjusting the exact resolution values of windows resolution to Kodi video resolution

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Out of memory" Win 8.10