How do you organize your movies?
(2013-11-07, 14:25)Piers Wrote:
(2013-11-07, 05:33)n1md4 Wrote: TV/The Walking Dead/Season 1/The Walking Dead S01E01 Days Gone Bye.mkv

Then if some slip of the mouse moves the file somewhere, I know where to put it back!

That's exactly what I'm thinking, I accidentally moved all episodes named S02E01.avi to one directory - took quite a while to put them back in place. I'm thinking that it should be possible to rename all using the app I previously mentioned and then update the watched status using the trakt addon. I don't believe that goes by file name but by show/episode etc.

You will need to update the xbmc database since filenames change, but ya, I originally though naming stuff without Identifiers is a bad idea especially to suggest a novice asking for how to or how do you organize stuff. However looking at wiki I cant find anywhere that says anything other than show name s01e01.ext at very least.

I guess this serves to help current users as well, on what things not to use even if it works.
(2013-11-07, 15:54)n1md4 Wrote:
(2013-11-07, 14:25)Piers Wrote: ... I'm thinking that it should be possible to rename all ...

A smidge off-topic, but I've a batch renaming tip (Linux users only - sorry): Let's say you have S02E01.mkv to S02E20.mkv, you can use the rename command as shown below:-

Code:
$ rename 's/S02/My.Favourite.Show.S02/g'

It's just regex, but I've found it really handy!
FIlebot renames very well, and keeps a log which you could possibly use in a script to rename the files in the database (although I haven't tried that myself).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm going to try using the Trakt addon, if it can cope with files changing drives then I'm hoping it can cope with filename changes - will report back once tested out Law & Order SVU.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
1) Renamed all 14 seasons of Law & Order Special Victims Unit using Filebot
2) Removed TV Show from XBMC
3) Updated Library
4) Ran Trakt addon to synchronize

From a quick glance it appears to have updated correctly with the watched status. I tested this show out because it's one of the few where I've watched 70-100% of episodes per season, in random order.

And here are the clean image names, looks much nicer.

I've spent the last 17 hours checking the order and renaming, with the help from Filebot, 11,062 TV episodes. Here's what I found:

1) Family Guy, American Dad and others are a bitch when going by Air Order or DVD Order (tvdb) - I checked my DVD thinking I might have ripped them incorrectly, but the order just didn't match up at all so I had to watch 1 minute of each episode whilst reading the synopsis to check if it was the correct file.

2) A 3TB USB drive running via USB2 is not a good idea, luckily the rest are on USB3 or internal drives.

3) I re-ripped fifteen seasons mainly because the original rips I made were done 10 years ago.

4) The Trakt addon **appears** to have remembered every single watched status and is currently syncing with XBMC.

5) All 11,062 episodes are now using the following format: Title\Season\Title 0x00 Episode Name.ext [e.g. American Horror Story\Season 01\American Horror Story - 1x06 - Piggy, Piggy.mkv]

Would I do this again? Well I hopefully won't have a need to. With movies I've already kept a simple naming structure, now with this done I hope it helps to keep track of files and make sure the ordering is correct.

Yes this is off topic so please accept my apologies.

Further update, Trakt has completed and it's worked. I've renamed every single episode and changed the order - the Trakt addon has synced everything more-or-less perfectly.

(2013-11-07, 19:48)uNiversal Wrote:
(2013-11-07, 14:25)Piers Wrote:
(2013-11-07, 05:33)n1md4 Wrote: TV/The Walking Dead/Season 1/The Walking Dead S01E01 Days Gone Bye.mkv

Then if some slip of the mouse moves the file somewhere, I know where to put it back!

That's exactly what I'm thinking, I accidentally moved all episodes named S02E01.avi to one directory - took quite a while to put them back in place. I'm thinking that it should be possible to rename all using the app I previously mentioned and then update the watched status using the trakt addon. I don't believe that goes by file name but by show/episode etc.

You will need to update the xbmc database since filenames change, but ya, I originally though naming stuff without Identifiers is a bad idea especially to suggest a novice asking for how to or how do you organize stuff. However looking at wiki I cant find anywhere that says anything other than show name s01e01.ext at very least.

I guess this serves to help current users as well, on what things not to use even if it works.

See

Quote:Note: In the examples we will mostly use the format:
name.<<pattern>>.ext,
where name is the title of the show, and .ext is a recognized video file extension, but any format will work, so long as the pattern is included somewhere in it. The name is optional and could just as easily be after the pattern, or excluded entirely.

Excluding the "name" used to even be a direct example, but was removed during one of the revisions of that page.

Not only does it not harm anything, but it can often be advisable, since it decreases the chance of XBMC miss-detecting some of the patterns. Some of the shows I have do not use anything more than season number and episode number for this reason.
Now that I've renamed nearly all shows I see that XBMC has picked up another 200 episodes it couldn't see before. I will most certainly stick with this format as it makes it much easier to search and, as far as I can tell, XBMC doesn't have an issue using 00x00 as a reference for episode numbers.

(2013-11-09, 15:41)Piers Wrote: Now that I've renamed nearly all shows I see that XBMC has picked up another 200 episodes it couldn't see before. I will most certainly stick with this format as it makes it much easier to search and, as far as I can tell, XBMC doesn't have an issue using 00x00 as a reference for episode numbers.

What a lot of trouble so you can watch tv series. I don't have tv series on my nas anymore.
I am only streaming tv series.
(2013-11-09, 16:44)hstegeman Wrote:
(2013-11-09, 15:41)Piers Wrote: Now that I've renamed nearly all shows I see that XBMC has picked up another 200 episodes it couldn't see before. I will most certainly stick with this format as it makes it much easier to search and, as far as I can tell, XBMC doesn't have an issue using 00x00 as a reference for episode numbers.

What a lot of trouble so you can watch tv series. I don't have tv series on my nas anymore.
I am only streaming tv series.

I like archiving content and creating detailed lists, call it annoying or blame on Asperger's. To me it's worth spending the time - I once deleted over 3,000 albums due to messing up the meta and re-ripped every single one of them, that took over two weeks. Also you'll find all my physical media in boxes labeled by letter and stored in my loft.

As for streaming content - why would I want to do that if I have the physical media available, but don't want to have to swap thousands of discs around just to watch something?

@Piers,
In the past I did also have a huge collection of tv series, about 300, separated over several external drives. Every week it took me a lot of time to download the newest tv episodes.
Now it doesn't take much time if I want to see the newest episodes, with help from several xbmc addons.

To give an example, on the next website you can find hundreds of tv series. Making an account is free, you could see it for yourself.
See http://tvonline.cc

It's also possible to use the content of this website in combination with xbmc addons.
With Google you can find the addons.
(2013-11-09, 19:04)hstegeman Wrote: @Piers,
In the past I did also have a huge collection of tv series, about 300, separated over several external drives. Every week it took me a lot of time to download the newest tv episodes.
Now it doesn't take much time if I want to see the newest episodes, with help from several xbmc addons.

To give an example, on the next website you can find hundreds of tv series. Making an account is free, you could see it for yourself.

It's also possible to use the content of this website in combination with xbmc addons.

Wont take you any longer if you have a decent IPS and a good down speed. Where I live this is no problem at least. I also use netflix sometimes
I just don't like streaming content, unless it's from Netflix. My connection is 120/12 - so more than capable of handling content if needed.

Please take this elsewhere. This thread is about media file naming, not where you get your tv from.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-09, 23:24)nickr Wrote:

Please take this elsewhere. This thread is about media file naming, not where you get your tv from.

+1, also that site appears to be something similar to icefilms and others which are against the forum rules.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you organize your movies?0