UPNP Search MediaServer
Hey Guys,

I'm building a UPNP client and I'm trying to get it working with XBMC. My client uses the UPNP search command.

Any time I try to use the command and pass in a "ContainerID" with XBMC it's returning me all the files on the entire system.

Here's a snippit from the search:

<ContainerID xsi:type="xsdConfusedtring" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance">videodb://2/2/2</ContainerID>\n
<SearchCriteria xsi:type="xsdConfusedtring" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance">(upnp:class=object.item.videoItem)</SearchCriteria>\n

What it returns:

All the video files from the whole media server.

What I would expect:

All the video files located within the videodb://2/2/2 folder and sub-folders.

Side Note:

If I pass in * for the search query, then it works properly and only returns items within the videodb://2/2/2 folder, but it only returns images.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
AFAIK Search is not properly implemented in our UPnP MediaServer implementation yet. Partial support for it has been added in a proof-of-concept code and will probably make its way into one of the next releases (but not Gotham).

PS: videodb://2/2/2 is an outdated path and shouldn't be used anymore with the coming Gotham release. The new path would be videodb://tvshows/titles/2. Furthermore I'm not sure if a search for specific media types make sense with these paths as each of these paths only contains one kind of media type.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Hi Montellese,

I was afraid that the UPNP search wasn't fully implemented. As for the "videodb" path, I actually determine that path through the UPNP "browse" command, so if you guys are updating it, that should not be a problem.

Out of curiosity are there any other API's that XBMC offers that will allow me to get all video items (including sub-folders) within a given path?

If not, then I'll revamp my application to only use BROWSE when XBMC is detected.
Not that I know of right now. JSON-RPC only supports getting movies, tvshows, episodes etc but you can't filter based on videodb:// paths. It has extensive filtering support but for directory structure only on real paths. But if you are looking for all movies or all tvshows, JSON-RPC can do that.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks Montellese - you've saved me hours of debugging / investigation with your quick replies!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPNP Search MediaServer0