The Little Black Box vs Pivos
(2013-11-06, 20:14)IhuckleberryI Wrote:
(2013-11-06, 15:44)evangelion Wrote: Just to add my personal twopennorth.

Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC, cost= RPi (£29.95) Power supply (£2.34) Transcend Jetflash 700 USB3 stick (£9.99) ModMyPi Case (£5.95) Total = £48.23 ($77.59) Already had, (and you probably will have too) HDMI cable, SD card, Ethernet cable.

Runs flawlessly, boot time is a tad over 30 secs, plays everything I throw at it, scrolls through Movies, TV etc very very fast.

But the absolute clincher for me is the inbuilt CEC control, so with a bit of judicious editing to the remote keymap, the Sammy TV's remote controls both the TV and the RPi, perfectly.

god that raspberry pi community is so impressive. The whole non profit, doing more with older hardware and growing exponentially into basically one huge community definitly embodies the spirit of xbmc. I hope its relationship with xbmc lives a long as the original xbox and atv 1 has enjoyed. It sure looks like the only other around that could!

Couldn't have put it better myself, yeah I absolutely adore the Pi, I'd still use an original XBOX if it could just handle HD, even the much-hated Flubber screen was like a welcome old friend each time I booted her up ... miss the old girl ...

But the Pi suits my needs (and bank balance!) To me it's just a no-hassle, hands-on, easy-peasy piece of kit to use, and the community, as you say .. is second to none!
(2013-11-07, 04:43)Ned Scott Wrote: *Snip*

Will Pivos XIOS users be able to install Gotham XBMC? Yes. Same with other future Pivos ARM/Android based products. Can other AMLogic boxes run ToFu? It's open source, so it should be more than possible.

How can you install Gotham on the Pivos XIOS (or how will you be able to)? The only builds are from Davila in GIT and Pivos has already stated they are not going to continue development for the XIOS. GIT for the XIOS has been updated once or twice in the last 6 months and the device basically abandoned by the company. If I can just pull a standard XBMC image for use on these devices I'd really like to know how...

Thanks Ned
(2013-12-17, 21:31)Xtropy Wrote:
(2013-11-07, 04:43)Ned Scott Wrote: *Snip*

Will Pivos XIOS users be able to install Gotham XBMC? Yes. Same with other future Pivos ARM/Android based products. Can other AMLogic boxes run ToFu? It's open source, so it should be more than possible.

How can you install Gotham on the Pivos XIOS (or how will you be able to)? The only builds are from Davila in GIT and Pivos has already stated they are not going to continue development for the XIOS. GIT for the XIOS has been updated once or twice in the last 6 months and the device basically abandoned by the company. If I can just pull a standard XBMC image for use on these devices I'd really like to know how...

Thanks Ned

I don't believe they are dropping support for the XIOS. You'll just install "ToFu" on the XIOS, which will be virtually identical to XBMC v13 Gotham, besides maybe a different default skin and some logos/branding.

In any case, I hope to have an AMLogic page up on the wiki with a matrix of what devices should download what builds, linking to various versions people have released.
The OUYA is great, Pivos XIOD DS is decent too, as far as the TLBB goes, good luck, worst paperweight I own.
I can say a bit about TOFU, it's more a concept of the entire experience rather than a specific fork of XBMC, although the fork of XBMC is called TOFU. There are many, many things in motion including looking at being able to run TOFU on the previous generation of Pivos boxes. I can say Pivos has not abandoned its customers and their devices, we are just very busy working on the TOFU experience. What you see of TOFU in GameStick is a very small peek into the crystal ball.

Regarding other Android boxes/clones, while they will NOT be able to enjoy the TOFU experience as envisioned by Pivos, they can certainly fork and rename the Pivos fork of XBMC and run it on their flavor. BUT they will NOT be able to call it TOFU without approval of Pivos. Pivos will aggressively protect its branding.

I reiterate, you can fork, rename and do what you want with the Pivos fork of XBMC but you cannot call it TOFU and sell it on boxes/clones. Call it 'GoatCheese' and Pivos does not care.

Pivos will also continue to contribute to the XBMC source code base. Unlike Boxee and others, Pivos sees a definite advantage to being actively involved with XBMC development and feeding back code contributions. MediaCodec is a fine example of this as it was developed entirely inside Pivos as a test project and then pushed into the open as a PR for inclusion back into XBMC mainline.
(2013-12-18, 01:18)Ned Scott Wrote: In any case, I hope to have an AMLogic page up on the wiki with a matrix of what devices should download what builds, linking to various versions people have released.

Hi Ned, and others,

I was just wondering what you think of the new devices coming up right now like Amazon Fire TV and Pivos XS. Any thought on how they compare to the older boxes discussed in this thread?

I'm running Gotham on ATV2 know and have been an ATV2 user since the 1st builds and still satisfied, but I could do with a faster box in terms of GUI and also with a little less crashes.

Any one know of a big comparison review of all these 100 - 150 dollar boxes out there for XBMC?

tx in advance!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Little Black Box vs Pivos0