[Announcement] - Changes in Subtitle Addons structure
Hello,

As of Gotham, hopefully by end of November merge window, there will be some major changes in how subtitle addons will work in XBMC.

after over a year of thinking and playing with different options( this was aimed at Frodo release originally), we have settled for adding a new window in XBMC skin/core that will be called from OSD subtitle button, right now OSD subtitle button calls selected subtitle addon.

its a new feature and in needs to go in now and we can polish it in the next few weeks/months/years Smile

JM has done a load of work on it to help and PR is out there, as for the changes in addon structure it can be seen in in demo addon here and opensubtitles working addon is here. I will work on moving podnapisi, sublight and titlovi into new format, rest will need to be done by their respective authors and submitted to XBMC repo.

Sorry for a change, but many of you kind of knew about it for a while... this will make it much easier for all service authors to submit to XBMC repo directly without having to go through me and my github PR system first.I am not the best at explaining how things work, so if anything is unclear please ask here. Smile

lets keep this thread for technical discussion and for service maintainers to get a handle on how things need to change, any questions about current subtitle addon will be deleted/ignored. any ideas are welcome but note that some features have been left out intentionally as to not clutter XBMC settings page.

Cheers,
amet
That is a great news, I am very happy to hear this will go through, I was really looking for something modular like you guys did.
Thank you very much for the hard work!

Repositories Installer: select and install unofficial repositories / TAC.TV: watch videos on TAC.TV
Installer Passion-XBMC: Download and Install Add-ons (pre-Dharma only)

FYI, posted a new thread in the feature suggestion forum with a related idea to also move Music Lyrics Addon core handling to XBMC's core

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=177752

That is, exact same concept as for these subtitles service plugins, if that code and GUI window(s) could be extended or reused for this too?

(2013-11-11, 17:29)RockerC Wrote: I like to suggest that (Music) Lyrics Addons core handling code be moved to XBMC's core. Ä

Since it have already been decided that the Subtitles Addon core handling will be moved to XBMC's core in Pull Request 3552, maybe that code could be extended to also support similar lyrics service plugins too?

Pull Request 3552 idea is to the GUI portion of the XBMC Subtitles Script into XBMC's core, and has the individual subtitle services run as plugins from there, which will allow better skin integration of downloading of subtitles. As better described on the xbmc.org home page here http://xbmc.org/making-subtitle-search-better/

So perhaps the same new UI window(s) and concept could be extend or reused to be used for lyrics service plugins?
take it elsewhere please, I said and asked nicely to keep discussion clean.. if you have nothing to add to this its better to say nothing

thanks
Thanks for the heads up! I tried the new change and tested in the latest nightlies. I have a few questions:

How does the new structure handle multiple languages? Let's say my primary language is Dutch, but if not available i prefer English subs. How does that work?
I also found service.subtitles.podnapisi on your github, installed it and tested if XBMC can handle multiple services, which works nicely.

If i now select the subtitle button, a small menu will popup called "download". When clicking it, it will execute the addon service. Why not directly execute it and skip the download button?

PS:
I like the new flags that xhaggi mentioned on the github page.
(2013-11-18, 20:33)FREAKJAM Wrote: Thanks for the heads up! I tried the new change and tested in the latest nightlies. I have a few questions:

How does the new structure handle multiple languages? Let's say my primary language is Dutch, but if not available i prefer English subs. How does that work?

in subtitle settings in XBMC you set languages, there is still no way to specify which is your top priority

(2013-11-18, 20:33)FREAKJAM Wrote: I also found service.subtitles.podnapisi on your github, installed it and tested if XBMC can handle multiple services, which works nicely.

thx for testing, I am still working on it and there are some changes needed in core that will have effect on the services, thats why its still not in official repo

(2013-11-18, 20:33)FREAKJAM Wrote: If i now select the subtitle button, a small menu will popup called "download". When clicking it, it will execute the addon service. Why not directly execute it and skip the download button?

this is entirely up to skin and skinners, you can have a button that is just download or have a popup window...

(2013-11-18, 20:33)FREAKJAM Wrote: PS:
I like the new flags that xhaggi mentioned on the github page.

yeah, I do too... but again, its up to the skinners to decide what the window will look like... I simply included the ones I had
Quote:in subtitle settings in XBMC you set languages, there is still no way to specify which is your top priority

Found the subtitle settings in video - settings in the confluence skin. I can select multiple languages indeed for subtitles, which is nice!
I tested it again, and it now shows both dutch and english subitles when executing the addon, which works for me.

Quote:this is entirely up to skin and skinners, you can have a button that is just download or have a popup window...

fair enough, I already gave a heads up to the creator of the Arctic skin, he is aware of it now.
Let's hope more active skinners will follow.
I use latest gotham nightly builds in android ( only these support kit kat ) and i have added opensubtitles addon. Although i have set greek language as preffered language in subtitles setting, i receive no subtitles or other third language subtitles.Is there any solution? I can't use xbmc without subs. Podnapisi addon does the same...Thanks
hi guys, where do i add a language? i would like to serach english and portuguese subtitles.
Hi,

I would like to add a subtitles service.
I implemented the code, pushed it a github repo, how do I publish it ?

Thanks,
Sagi.
(2013-11-26, 07:26)sagiben Wrote: Hi,

I would like to add a subtitles service.
I implemented the code, pushed it a github repo, how do I publish it ?

Thanks,
Sagi.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=151473
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hello.
1 i am sorry fore my bath english.
I ym a new member from saterday.
I hafe a problem with the subtitles, when i watch a tv serie (warehouse 13)
i always geth the subs from a episode before.
i mean when i watch seizoen 1 episode.4 i geth the subs from seizoen 1.episode 3
ore i watch seizoen 1 episode 5 i geth the subs from seizoen 1 episode 4

hope someone cane help me.
That's strange, I've never had that problem in 7 years and I've downloaden hundreds of subtitles.
Do you scan your videos to the library?

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
@amet, it´s possible create one shortcut for request subtitle, via ActivateWindow(SubtitleSearch), maybe Json, before I use this in keyboard.xml for call function, when playing video.

Code:
<u>RunScript(script.xbmc.subtitles)</u>
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
<u>ActivateWindow(SubtitleSearch)</u> in keyboard is all you need

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Announcement] - Changes in Subtitle Addons structure0