Linux Skipping frames due to low fps
Hi. I've googled until my fingers have bled, tried all the tips and tricks to configure audio and video and I simply can not fix this issue. Regardless of the fps of the source file playback drops to around 20-22fps. This causes the video to jump a few frames about once or twice a second and makes it unpleasant to watch. I can definitely post any log files that are helpful and/or describe all the various settings and debugging I've tried - though believe me, I have been searching this, and other forums for a couple weeks now, so I don't think the solution is as simple as "check this box". Between the audio and video settings, I swear I've tried every conceivable combination!

With this same hardware, TV, AV receiver and cabling I've previously run XMBC with no problems under Windows (factory OS on the box), Debian 6, Ubuntu 10.4. I'm now on Debian 7. I'm currently running XMBC 12.2 (I was also having this issue with 11 so I upgraded to 12 hoping...). When I'm in the XMBC gui I'm getting 30-60fps. I can have a video playing (but not visible) and still get that same frame rate. CPU loads are low - generally a few %. If I return to the video, then the frame rate drops to 20-22fps. This happens even if the video is paused, but visible on screen.

I realize this is somewhat apples-to-oranges, but I can play a video with vlc and get full frame rate, synced audio, etc. so I don't think it's a video or audio driver issue. I don't see any obvious errors in /var/log/<files> or in xbmc.log, though I'll be happy to post any related log files.

Debian 7 with stock 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel
Intel 4 series integrated video and audio
stock snd_hda_intel and i915 modules

I know you'll want more info; I just wanted to describe the issue and some basic info before posting a slew of logs and such. Let me know what log files and info will be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
post a debug log.

And please note, that xbmc from official debian repos is using external libraries, which is not at all recommended.
Is the suggestion to build XBMC from source in order to get internal libs?

Here's a debug log.

Wait...I'm not sure I'm trying to post the debug log correctly. I keep getting the error that my message is longer than 65500 characters. My debug log (a fresh one) is 1246 lines long. I even tried to split it in half, but each half is too large. What's the process for doing this?

Thanks for your patience.
paste.ubuntu.com
paste.debian.org

or:

sudo apt-get install pastebinit

cat ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Okay, here's a fresh xbmc.log from this morning. (For future pastebinit newbies like me: cat xbmc.log | pastebinit -b http://paste.debian.net )

http://paste.debian.net/64350/

FYI, hardware connections are such:

Flat screen TV via HDMI
AV receiver via S/PDIF
Any one? Help?
your last log can't be found anymore Confused
Here's a new log. This is running the latest xbmc built from source (13.0-ALPHA10).
http://paste.ubuntu.com/6429391/

Unfortunately building from source didn't fix the problem. I'm still getting about 20-21 fps on video that should be 24fps. The frame drops are more subtle now, but they're still there. It appears they happen more often, so it causes less of a "jump" each time, but now it happens about 5 times a second rather than once or twice per second.

I also notice a couple new bugs:
Two debug lines in the OSD are printed over each other now
when you pause, the error % climbs up constantly 100% per "tick". It's at 8 million % right now. lol
All of the advanced video and audio settings are gone?
PS: I'm currently building 12.2. I figure using 13.0 Alpha isn't the best approach to fixing my current issue.
there are tons of alsa errors in your log, make sure you don't have a broken asound.conf/asoundrc. Get rid of those.
And get rid of pulseaudio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skipping frames due to low fps0