• 5(current)
New Harmony Smart Control Remote
(2013-12-29, 18:07)furii Wrote:
(2013-12-29, 04:24)alucard77 Wrote: Hey guys,

I have a kinda insane question. But can this be used to control an iPhone? I am going to be using my iPhone 4S as the main house XBMC player and all I need now is something that can send a message to my 4S to turn it on. Ideally it would be great to turn it off as well, but one step at a time.

So anyone know if there are any hacks for this to make it control an iPad.

that is an insane question and no it cannot Smile

Actually, I have been doing a bit of research and this should not be that hard to do if Harmony had any interest in doing any support for XBMC:
- The 4S can be woken by BT commands like clicking a button on a keyboard.
- Activator can be used to launch XBMC on iPhone or iPad wake up
- If Harmony decided to support HTML controls (which should be easy as this is what the device currently does anyway) you would be able to control XBMC in that matter. The same way you can use XBMC remote.

So all Harmony would need to do is send a BT control and enable HTTP commands to allow this to happen.

Which actually brings me to the my next question. Is this a learning hub, if you will?

The reason I ask, is because this is what I would love to do.
- Pair my 4S to a BT keyboard
- Have the Harmony Hub learn the BT command from a key
- In theory, I would think, as long as the Harmony Hub sends out the key control, it can turn on the 4s from a sleep state.
- Then I can just switch to XBMC Remote

It would be nice if for the money, Harmony provided an API to be able to add things like I mentioned above, instead of us having to wait for them to do something. This thing is exremely close to being ideal.
(2013-12-30, 20:48)alucard77 Wrote:
(2013-12-29, 18:07)furii Wrote:
(2013-12-29, 04:24)alucard77 Wrote: Hey guys,

I have a kinda insane question. But can this be used to control an iPhone? I am going to be using my iPhone 4S as the main house XBMC player and all I need now is something that can send a message to my 4S to turn it on. Ideally it would be great to turn it off as well, but one step at a time.

So anyone know if there are any hacks for this to make it control an iPad.

that is an insane question and no it cannot Smile

Actually, I have been doing a bit of research and this should not be that hard to do if Harmony had any interest in doing any support for XBMC:
- The 4S can be woken by BT commands like clicking a button on a keyboard.
- Activator can be used to launch XBMC on iPhone or iPad wake up
- If Harmony decided to support HTML controls (which should be easy as this is what the device currently does anyway) you would be able to control XBMC in that matter. The same way you can use XBMC remote.

So all Harmony would need to do is send a BT control and enable HTTP commands to allow this to happen.

Which actually brings me to the my next question. Is this a learning hub, if you will?

The reason I ask, is because this is what I would love to do.
- Pair my 4S to a BT keyboard
- Have the Harmony Hub learn the BT command from a key
- In theory, I would think, as long as the Harmony Hub sends out the key control, it can turn on the 4s from a sleep state.
- Then I can just switch to XBMC Remote

It would be nice if for the money, Harmony provided an API to be able to add things like I mentioned above, instead of us having to wait for them to do something. This thing is exremely close to being ideal.

the only bluetooth it supports is the ps3/wii/wiiu. the only learning capabilities it has is for IR commands. it would be nice if harmony did a lot of things but that doesn't mean it's able to do any of what you want, unfortunately. harmony remotes are generally meant to reach the largest audience possible which is why things like variables, if/then, etc. features are not available. they are useful to the power user, enthusiast crowd, but that's a small market comparatively. though generally willing to pay quite a premium if they ever decide to get into it. i'd venture a guess since they were recently thinking of selling off the division completely this is not on logitech's radar. you might look at irule or something that is ipad/iphone only instead.
@Protax:

This is what I have in registry:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjcxqgh7loa0of7/AMCERMR.PNG
showed with the program provided at:
Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool

This is the complete registry key I am using:
registry key

And this is a screenshot from harmony setup:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qryqudgn2rp6hj/LHSCBS.PNG

If you have any questions, dont hesitate.
And have a happy new year. Smile

Thanks!
What I don't understand is how you get that registry setting in the Harmony software?
All the configuration is online... Huh
You dont. Those are Windows settings.

Your remote does send what you are telling to send in the Harmony software, but your Windows does whats the registry settings is telling to do. Apparently the setting is wrong and the Windows is not doing what you would like to.

1. Start "Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool" on your computer, where you have XBMC (that your HTPC computer).
2. Find "Back" in "Button Name" column (it is a row number 23).
3. Set "Backspace" in the pulldown menu under "Key" column"
4. On the right, click on "Apply To Registry" button.

Report back the results.
Forgot to mention...

"Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool" must be started in admin mode.
After "Apply To Registry" action, reboot is a MUST.
I don't run Windows on my HTPC, but OpenELEC.
So this solution won't work for me I guess Sad
(2014-01-02, 17:28)Protax Wrote: I don't run Windows on my HTPC, but OpenELEC.

ssh into openelec and run the following command
Code:
tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | grep OnKey
pressing your back key should result in a line similar to this:
Code:
09:40:58 T:139872881026880   DEBUG: OnKey: backspace (f008) pressed, action is Back

paste the info here.

Uh... my bad. I understood wrongly that you are on Win... reread your posts and I can see what I havent before. Wink

Since I have plan to go on OE when celeron version of haswell NUC is out, I will have to learn how to do it on OE.
Furii looks like to be a good source. Wink
(2014-01-02, 17:43)furii Wrote:

Code:
Code:
09:40:58 T:139872881026880   DEBUG: OnKey: backspace (f008) pressed, action is Back

paste the info here.

I don't get any result back, it just stays black.
My problem is that with the remote I can never return to to mainscreen.
A usb keyboard and backspace does the trick... Not really handy Sad
(2014-01-03, 00:30)Protax Wrote:
(2014-01-02, 17:43)furii Wrote:

Code:
Code:

paste the info here.

I don't get any result back, it just stays black.
My problem is that with the remote I can never return to to mainscreen.
A usb keyboard and backspace does the trick... Not really handy Sad

try it with just
Code:
tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
I've been looking at this remote and i'd like to try it with my OpenELEC system and i know that i could get it working with an IR receiver but i'm not so sure that is worth the 100 bucks. So i have a few questions before i decide to jump in and hopefully a few of you are able to answer my questions.

I currently use the Mele F10 and while it's ok, the wife hates it. Also my universal Acoustic Research remote can blow hard due to the touchscreen sucking nuts. Any way it would be nice to have something that can control my:
TV
Onkyo Receiver
DirecTV
OpenELEC

I guess i'm ok with sacrificing the keyboard of the Mele and i could just grab it when i need it.

But I want bluetooth or even wifi to be able to control OpenELEC. Bluetooth seems to be the closest option as logitech would have to update the hub to be able to control OpenELEC over wifi and we all know that's not happening.

So as far as bluetooth working labelled as PS3, how is that going? In theory it sound good but are we still unable to get OpeneELEC to register key presses? what has been done as far as remapping the remote to the PS3 buttons? I was just thinking that the values that the PS3 controller are sending are different than what the controller is sending. We can change the keyboard map file, so is there a way to change the PS3 map file? Or could even editing the keyboard map file make a difference?

With Bluez Tools incompatible with the lestest versions of OpenELEC the PS3 controller seems to be our best option for a bluetooth connection at this point.

One last question unrelated to my main purpose, is the hub a IR blaster as well as the blaster that you plug in to the back of the hub?
afaik there hasn't been any movement on getting the hub bluetooth working as a ps3 remote on OE. i haven't seen any traction on the threads on the OE forums that i started about it. honestly i didn't even know bluez was incompatible with the latest OE as it's been a few months since i checked. i'm not a developer and have no idea what the issue is. i believe i only got 3-5 keypresses recognized even in dmsg so there's no way to just update a keymap to make it work. the hub works perfectly with my actual ps3. i would even donate a hub to a dev if i thought there was any interest.

the hub is also a blaster. i have it sitting on a shelf in my enclosed cabinet where it controls my avr, dvr and xbmc. i have the other blaster sitting on my center channel to control my tv.
Alright! I bought it. Hopefully i can get the bluetooth working. That would be ideal.
@dougfalk

you got my interest piqued so i did a little searching and stumbled across this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1515224

now the question (for me at least) is whether OE will add it to their build. not quite sure who to talk to about that. i just don't feel like messing around with a minimal ubuntu install just for this.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Harmony Smart Control Remote1