• 3(current)
New Harmony Smart Control Remote
Tnx guys for your replys...I'll buy this remote
Tnx Smile
Dear guys, I really cant decide to buy this controller or not. Have some questions.

I have a TV (obvious Smile), audio/vider receiver (AVR), XBMC box (NUC) and set-top box (STB). TV is connected to AVR out. NUC and STB to AVR in.

1. Can be power button set to power on/off only TV and AVR?
2. Can be some other button programmed to turn on/off only STB and another only NUC?
3. Can be the some button set to power on/off for STB and other for NUC in any activity?
4. Can be implemented some sleep function (example: 3 hours inactivity on remote), to power off TV and AVR?
5. since NUC is able to sleep and wake up in a few seconds, can be set that when changing activity to other than NUC to power it off (sleep) and changing activity back to NUC to power it on?

Thanks in advance
(2013-12-06, 13:21)Crssi Wrote: Dear guys, I really cant decide to buy this controller or not. Have some questions.

I have a TV (obvious Smile), audio/vider receiver (AVR), XBMC box (NUC) and set-top box (STB). TV is connected to AVR out. NUC and STB to AVR in.

1. Can be power button set to power on/off only TV and AVR?
2. Can be some other button programmed to turn on/off only STB and another only NUC?
3. Can be the some button set to power on/off for STB and other for NUC in any activity?
4. Can be implemented some sleep function (example: 3 hours inactivity on remote), to power off TV and AVR?
5. since NUC is able to sleep and wake up in a few seconds, can be set that when changing activity to other than NUC to power it off (sleep) and changing activity back to NUC to power it on?

Thanks in advance

a quick primer the way the harmony remotes works. you tell the harmony software what devices you have and then create activities around them. so you can have a watch tv activity that turns on your tv, avr, stb and switches everything to the correct input. it will keep track of power states so if you go from your watch tv activity to watch xbmc activity it will leave the tv and avr powered up, power down the stb (if you choose), power up the nuc and switch to the proper inputs. as for your specific questions:

1. there is no power button, per se. there are activity buttons which will turn on the proper devices as needed and an off button which will turn everything off. you can tell the software that there are devices that you want to always leave on and it will not send power off commands to those devices when you press off on the remote.
2. yes, those are the activity buttons.
3. i'm not sure how this question differs from question 2. can you elaborate?
4. unfortunately this is not available on the harmony smart control but i believe it is available if you want to use the harmony ultimate. i don't have any first hand experience with this setup though.
5. i believe this would be possible if you set xbmc to suspend rather than shutdown. my htpc only draws 10w so i leave it on 24/7 and can't say for sure.
Thank you furii.

Actually, 2nd and the 3rd differed in my mind before I havent got explanation to 1st from you. I am not joking.
With the 5th I really meant suspend where I have chosen the word sleep.

Are power on and power off IR signals the same or different?
To which buttons can be assigned "long press" actions?
i'm having a little difficulty understanding exactly what it is you're asking but i'll have a go.

1) there is no power button. there is an off button which turns off all devices that are powered on (unless you specifically have it programmed to not turn them off). aside from excluding devices from turning off this button cannot be programmed. to turn devices on one uses the activity buttons. so, for example, if you press the movie activity button it will turn on every device associated with that activity. in my case that is my tv, avr, and htpc. the tv activity button i have set to turn on my tv and avr only so i can watch ota broadcasts.
2) if you mean can you change it so that the 1 button turns off the stb and the 2 button turns off the nuc, yes you can do that. however i don't really see the point of that. the activity buttons will do the same. so if you are watching the nuc and press the tv activity button it can turn off the nuc and turn on the stb. if you are watching tv and switch to the nuc, by pressing the movie activity button it will turn off the stb and turn on the nuc. but any non-activity button can be programmed to do anything you want. just pick a command from the dropdown interface.
3) still not sure how this differs from #2
5) like i said, this should be possible.

for my devices i have separate PowerOn, PowerOff, and PowerToggle functions. i can't tell you for sure that all those functions will be available on all of your devices.

all buttons can have both a short press and a long press function.
in the above picture the blue box represents buttons that have not been assigned any function for an activity. the orange box is the button currently selected to be programmed. on the right bolded items are functions not yet assigned to a key on the remote. sequences are functions that consist of a string of keypresses. for instance, i have one set to change between day mode and night mode on my tv which consists of MENU -> ENTER -> RIGHT -> RIGHT -> EXIT.
Thank you furii, you have been really helpfull to me.

Dont bother how 3rd one differ to 2nd. I have already sad that they differed in my wrongly setted mind (I was thinking the wrong way), and you have all of this explained actually answering 1st question. Wink

I have so much questions about powering on and off just becouse my STB need insanelly 60-90 seconds to boot-up, and I would like to avoid to turn it off most the times.
I do occasionally turn STB off, to get a bit more bandwidth. Here I have 15Mb download and each STB take about 6Mb of stream (there are 2 in house Wink)... arghh, and two streets down there is the optic cable with 200Mb Sad.

I am now almost sure to buy this one.
It is shame that there is no sleep power off, but I guess there will never be everything implemented for everyone and I dont like Harmony Touch, there are too many disadvantages with it (battery life, the touch screen, the price).
I have bought Smart Control Remote yesterday.

If I have just known before how good it is. I wasnt so impresed for long time now. Even new NUC haswell didnt make me happier. Smile
I wish that the remote was backlit Sad
Do you have it?
I thought also that it should be, but actually it is not needed, since a remote is so simple with really only what is needed on without any "balast" and you get used to it in a hour of usage for "blind" feeling of keyboard on. Wink
(2013-12-11, 20:52)lifeisfun Wrote: I wish that the remote was backlit Sad

Why...? The battery would run out in weeks if it had lighting. It lasts a year because it doesn't have all those extra features like backlights and touchscreens.

Its so nice in the hands it works perfectly in pitch black. Its one of the most ergonomic remotes I've ever used.
(2013-12-11, 22:22)zag Wrote:
(2013-12-11, 20:52)lifeisfun Wrote: I wish that the remote was backlit Sad

Why...? The battery would run out in weeks if it had lighting. It lasts a year because it doesn't have all those extra features like backlights and touchscreens.

Its so nice in the hands it works perfectly in pitch black. Its one of the most ergonomic remotes I've ever used.
For the same reason I like backlit keyboard for HTPC.
Automatic LED backlight would not drain battery that much.
Hello guys,

Since a week I'm the proud owner of a Logitech Harmony Touch remote control.
With some help it runs... But the profile I used to get it working feels slow.

I'm wonder if you guys got all your keys working?
If yes, is it possible to make a list of the commands you assigned to the keys on your remote?
I'm struggling to find the right commands, and with the Media Center Extended (profile) it looks like I don't have all commands.

Please help Smile

Best regards,
Protax
Yes its pretty easy, the only keys I needed to map were back and exit. Both I mapped to "back" and it works perfectly now.

I am also using Media center Extender as the device. Works really well and much less lag than the other options.
So like this?

Image Image Image

Nothing on the menu button?
Ahh yes I forgot about the menu button.

I had to learn that from my MCE remote as a new button called "Menu", then assign it as you show in the screnshots above.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Harmony Smart Control Remote1