New Harmony Smart Control Remote
(2014-01-03, 03:57)furii Wrote:
(2014-01-03, 00:30)Protax Wrote:
(2014-01-02, 17:43)furii Wrote: ssh into openelec and run the following command
Code:
tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | grep OnKey
pressing your back key should result in a line similar to this:
Code:
09:40:58 T:139872881026880   DEBUG: OnKey: backspace (f008) pressed, action is Back

paste the info here.

I don't get any result back, it just stays black.
My problem is that with the remote I can never return to to mainscreen.
A usb keyboard and backspace does the trick... Not really handy Sad

try it with just
Code:
tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

Will check this tonight, I will let you know Smile
Hello All,

I need some help with my Harmony Smart Control Remote, but first my setup

I have a Samsung TV and connected to it via HDMI2 is an Asus Laptop (only used for XBMC nothing else). The specs are:

i7 processor, 16gb Ram Running Windows 7 64bit
HP MCE Remote connected via USB receiver
XBMC v12.3

My issue is “laptop sleep and wake states” using my current HP MCE remote (and a few others I have tried). The laptop does sleep and wake but it sometimes takes 2 or three presses of the HPE remote power button to wake it or put it to sleep. This was not an issue until I use the Harmony Smart Control Remote in conjunction with the two activities I have setup. Let me explain:-

To the Harmony Smart Control Remote/Hub I have added two devices
1) Samsung TV
2) Media Center Extender
And two Activities
1) Watch TV (Over The Air TV)
2) Watch Movies (XBMC)

The Harmony remote works until the following conditions occur:-
1) Press the “OFF” button on the Harmony remote: The TV turns off but the XMBC laptop does not always go to sleep (it sleeps maybe once in every three attempts).
2) Watch Movies: The TV turns on but the XBMC laptop does not always come out of sleep (it wakes maybe once in very three attempts)

As you can imagine the above scenarios cause the TV and Laptop to go out of sync, i.e. when they both should be off the laptop is not always put to sleep etc.

The Harmony Remote is not at fault because the issue existed with the HP MCE remote and two or three other remotes I have tried. The question is: has anybody else had this issue where it takes multiple presses to put the Laptop to sleep / Wake and how was it solved?

I like the Harmony and the idea of using it but if the “On” / “Off” / “Sleep” / “Wake” states are not in sync then the object of using it is defeated and I will have to return it in the next day or two.

Thanks in Advance.
Not had the issue of needing multiple presses, but I did change the shutdown to a reboot command using keymap.xml.

This means my HTPC stays on 24/7 and reboots each time its started.

Since I have a haswell the power usage is very small and means XBMC is always fresh on restart.
i also leave my htpc on all the time as well. power usage is so low and sleep/suspend has always been hit or miss at best that i've found it's just not worth the trouble. sorry that likely isn't the solution you're looking for.
(2014-01-07, 13:17)Shoober Wrote: Hello All,

I need some help with my Harmony Smart Control Remote, but first my setup

I have a Samsung TV and connected to it via HDMI2 is an Asus Laptop (only used for XBMC nothing else). The specs are:

i7 processor, 16gb Ram Running Windows 7 64bit
HP MCE Remote connected via USB receiver
XBMC v12.3

My issue is “laptop sleep and wake states” using my current HP MCE remote (and a few others I have tried). The laptop does sleep and wake but it sometimes takes 2 or three presses of the HPE remote power button to wake it or put it to sleep. This was not an issue until I use the Harmony Smart Control Remote in conjunction with the two activities I have setup. Let me explain:-

To the Harmony Smart Control Remote/Hub I have added two devices
1) Samsung TV
2) Media Center Extender
And two Activities
1) Watch TV (Over The Air TV)
2) Watch Movies (XBMC)

The Harmony remote works until the following conditions occur:-
1) Press the “OFF” button on the Harmony remote: The TV turns off but the XMBC laptop does not always go to sleep (it sleeps maybe once in every three attempts).
2) Watch Movies: The TV turns on but the XBMC laptop does not always come out of sleep (it wakes maybe once in very three attempts)

As you can imagine the above scenarios cause the TV and Laptop to go out of sync, i.e. when they both should be off the laptop is not always put to sleep etc.

The Harmony Remote is not at fault because the issue existed with the HP MCE remote and two or three other remotes I have tried. The question is: has anybody else had this issue where it takes multiple presses to put the Laptop to sleep / Wake and how was it solved?

I like the Harmony and the idea of using it but if the “On” / “Off” / “Sleep” / “Wake” states are not in sync then the object of using it is defeated and I will have to return it in the next day or two.

Thanks in Advance.

I think I figured it out.

I changed the Power Settings for my “Media Center Extender“. I added two commands for Powertoggle each with half second duration. This seems to be working. I will test it over the next day or so and see if it behaves itself.

If anybody is interested the Power Settings can be changed via Devices > Change Device Settings.
@furii

Well I got it, set it up with a MCE IR receiver and after i figured out that the IR receiver wouldn't work in USB 3.0 (had me befuddled for about 20 minutes) i was good to go. I still had an altered keyboard.xml file that i realized was actually still helping. Without the edited map file the exit button would not act as i wanted. There is significant lag while using the remote but nothing that is quite a deal breaker. I am hoping that bluetooth will be able minimize this lag. I know you are using Flirc and you mentioned the lag wasn't bad at all. I wonder if it's better than the MCE IR receiver i'm using.

Setting the power saving setting to suspend instead of shutdown allows me to sleep and wake the HTPC with the remote. The MCE setup has power on, power off, and power toggle but unfortunately the only one that works is power toggle. Therefore, the watch XBMC button will turn the HTPC to sleep if it's currently on. Not a huge deal but I like things to be perfect and foolproof.

As for bluetooth, at first my bluetooth sections said there is no adapter found. Not sure why it said that but a refresh of OE has found the BT adapter. I added PS3 as a device on my hub and hit the pair button. I can request to connect to it but when it asks for the pairing code, none of the usual numbers work. Did you pair it through here or did you use an addon?

On a side note, I currently have a A10 APU being on it's way back to AMD for RMA so i'm a little bit handcuffed. I still have my laptop but i had everything on my desktop. I'll be hacking around tonite as the wife will be gone until late. Since I have other OE issues going on right now, hopefully i'll make some progress tonite.
what model did you add for the mce receiver? i've seen mention in the nuc thread that adding it as media center extended did away with a lot of the lag people had. the lag with the flirc is minimal but still not as quick as a mce remote. i built my brother a htpc a few months back and gave him my mce remote/receiver so sadly i can't do any side by side testing to tell you which is better. what i do like about the flirc is that it functions as a standard keyboard which i find easier to set up in the keymap than a remote. anyway, give media center extended a go and see if that works any better for you.

i can't help you with sleep/suspend issues, i've never gotten it to work reliably to be worth the trouble.

just to make sure you aren't missing any steps here's how i paired the hub as a ps3 remote to oe. added the ps3, in the iphone app i started the ps3 activity and it asked me to pair it. opened the OE addon in xbmc, bluetooth section, found the hub, picked pair and trust (or trust and pair, i forget the exact working). after that the iphone app showed it was successfully paired and switched to show all the normal keys. OE showed the pairing to be successful as well.

for what it's worth, while it was paired i tailed the xbmc.log to see what was getting through and didn't see anything. dmesg only showed a few keys working and the thread i created on the OE forums never got much traction.
There should be no lag at all if you have the correct device. The default settings are instant for me with media center extender.
(2014-01-06, 09:33)Protax Wrote:
(2014-01-03, 03:57)furii Wrote:
(2014-01-03, 00:30)Protax Wrote: I don't get any result back, it just stays black.
My problem is that with the remote I can never return to to mainscreen.
A usb keyboard and backspace does the trick... Not really handy Sad

try it with just
Code:
tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

Will check this tonight, I will let you know Smile

Hi Furii,

I've tested this, but nothing happens:

OpenELEC git: eb0a7a68b710736f0cfc72781020d30d91903e88
OpenELEC:~ # tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
00:10:03 T:140256032577280 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting include
00:10:03 T:140257241802496 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
00:10:03 T:140257241802496 NOTICE: Thread JobWorker start, auto delete: true
00:10:05 T:140257245718272 NOTICE: Thread RSSReader start, auto delete: false
00:10:09 T:140257551320832 NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
00:10:39 T:140257241802496 NOTICE: Previous line repeats 20 times.
00:10:39 T:140257241802496 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting include
00:10:49 T:140257551320832 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
00:10:49 T:140257551320832 NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
00:11:43 T:140257857075008 NOTICE: Samba is idle. Closing the remaining connect ions
00:18:08 T:140257233409792 NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
^C
OpenELEC:~ # tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | grep OnKey
tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | grep OnKey

I've pressed keys on my Harmony Touch Remote, and also on my Hausbell HTPC Keyboard (the second one works fine).
Harmony only Enter key and Arrow keys are working fine, "backspace" insn't working.

I didn't tell you yet, but I needed to put this:

# Work around NUC CIR issue
# see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718&page=17 and
# https://communities.intel.com/thread/46259 for more information

modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

In the autostart.sh to get the infrared working.

Hopefully you can advice me what to do next!
sorry, i forget not everyone has debug logging on by default. you will need to enable it in settings > system > debugging (or add it to your advancedsettings.xml and reboot) then run the tail command again.
I have a quick question for owners of the Harmony Smart: Is it possible to remap the digit keys to control the mouse? I find that even with a remote control optimized htpc, there is always one or two things that can only be done by using the mouse (for instance hitting the play button on movies in the Win8 Netflix app).
In windows 8(.1) type in search "ease of access mouse settings" then enable "use numeric keypad to move mouse around the screen". NOTE: Only numeric cursors works.

From here on, there are multiple posibilities, how to accomplish your needs.
Try to assing appropriate action using "Microsoft Media Center Extender" or "Microsoft MCE Keyboard" as a device in "Logitech Smart Control configurator".
You will also find mapping called something as "mouse down" here.

If this doesn work try to assign for example actions for "Red","Yellow","Green" and "Blue" to the buttons "2","4","6","8" on your remote using "Microsoft Media Center Extender" as a device over "Logitech Smart Control configurator"
Then use "Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool" on your windows (use it in admin privileges) and assign to "Red","Yellow","Green" and "Blue" actions as "NumPad 2","NumPad 4","NumPad 6" and "NumPad 8".... I belive that it is best to assign as a "long press".
When done assigning then "apply to registry". To get new assignemt work under windows, the reboot is a MUST.

Note: I havent done this before, since I dont need this.I am just trying to help here, but dont garantee you that this works. Do a little tryout here.
Let us know if this or simmilar solution work, for others who needs this functionallity.
Thanks very much!
Not sure anyone has seen this but here is a python library that'll allow your computer to control the Harmony Hub

https://github.com/jterrace/pyharmony/
(2014-01-08, 01:48)furii Wrote: sorry, i forget not everyone has debug logging on by default. you will need to enable it in settings > system > debugging (or add it to your advancedsettings.xml and reboot) then run the tail command again.

Hi Furii,

That did the trick, I now get results.
Back button gives:

16:15:20 T:139891052308288 DEBUG: OnKey: 11 (0x0b) pressed, action is Select

So what we need to find, is the commands that OpenElec understands?
After that attach commands on the buttons, and translate those in the keymap file?

It looks like my HTPC keyboard has the right command:

16:54:29 T:139891052308288 DEBUG: OnKey: backspace (0xf008) pressed, action is Back

Edit:

I've load the profile again (as test):

Changed this one to back --> back

On this buttons should be a menu and backspace feature be attached, but those aren't available in the profile.

Don't understand why it's so easy for everyone to get this working :S
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Harmony Smart Control Remote1