• 10(current)
New Harmony Smart Control Remote
If you dont have any IR receiver on computer, then you need Flirc or some other IR sollution for your computer.
Ok, so I need help. I feel like an idiot.

I have a receiver, tv and htpc Ill use with xbmc.

I set my 2 devices up and they were flawlessly. I set up my computer as Microsoft Media Player [Microsoft Media Center Extender]...the button are assigned, but they do nothing. The IR repeater doesnt blink.

If I go back and delete out the media center device and type in my actual cheap remote as a device, it works, but it lags (when compared to using the cheap remote directly).

Why is mine not relaying any signals? I have to not be doing something. (because the hub does relay them when I type in the ortek)

This is the remote I got and IR I got

http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-Infr...r+receiver

Thank you in advance, Im kinda stumped.
I dont understand... do you have ortec remote or logitect harmony smart control?
Sorry, that was kinda confusing.

I have both. I bought the smart control to actually use. I bought the ortek because I needed usb IR receiver for my pc.

Ill include pictures. But if I try to add device as a media center extender (second picture). I can configure all the buttons, but nothing get relayed by the hub to the receiver (The IR doesnt even light up red...nothing happens). When I add a device and instead of putting in microsoft media center extender, I put in ortek control model number (first picture), it relays it just fine, there is just some lag that you really notice when scrolling through stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/hszVA

I have seen a couple other screenshots on here of people configuring their buttons and they are assigning them to "windows media player", like my second screenshot)". My hub wont relay anything when I do that.

Could my IR receiver only be configured to accept certain signals? Or more likely, do you know what I am doing wrong
I would say that your IR dongle is not RC6 compliant.
Thank you!

I hope its as easy as getting a new receiver.

Do you think this will work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-NEW-Origin...3f14adc192
Should do yeh
It should since it is MCE RC6 receiver... but I dont have any at home to be 100%.
Anyway if I were you I would give a go with it.
But I dont belive that this one would be able to power on the computer. Do anyone has any experience here with this stuff?
Thank you! And I think you are right. I read somewhere else where someone was having a similar issue and they found out the Ortek receiver doesnt accept, or respond to, rc6 signals. I went ahead and ordered. I was going to get the one mentioned earlier, the geniune microsoft one, but it was 50 bucks for a used one. Seemed steep. The powering on isnt a huge issue, would be cool if it would do it. I keep a mouse and keyboard on the end table next to my couch.

I am absolutely loving the remote though. Its just perfect for me. It has everything I want on there and nothing else. I had an 880 a few years agoand liked it, but I felt like I always had to search on the thing for the button I wanted to press. You can easily learn this remote and use it in the dark without looking.

Ill update on that receiver later in the week if anyone else sees this later.
There is allway possible that this USB IR could get your computer out of suspended state.

I am using NUC i5 haswell which can be waked up from power off via IR, but I have chosen newer to turn off it... so I do a suspend allways instead of powering off. It uses 0,6W when powered off and 1,2W when suspended, so no noticeable difference.

Do some update, for everyone else who uses/will use the same as you do.
Awesome!

I actually use suspend anyway. So this would be perfect! Ive been reading through this thread and see what I can get to work.
I wanted to update. The HP receiver does work.

The smart control is not nearly as responsive as my Ortek remote+dongle. The ortek is just about as fast as my hardwired 360 controller or my wireless usb keyboard. The smart control (And Ive configured it as an extender and other devices and also played with all the delay settings) just isnt snappy. It does something with spacing out keypresses. I can hit the down arrow very quickly 4 times and then take a tiny break and hit it 1 more time. The harmony lets the keypresses backup and it will send 5 keypresses, perfectly spaced out. Im not sure that make sense. Maybe this does. 1 means a keypress, a 0 means passed time.

What I press is

The harmony will send

The harmony does something where it doesnt send the next signal a certain amount of time after you press the actual button. It sends the next signal a certain amount of time after the last keypress it sent, if pressed in a series.

Its not horrible and I hooked my old 880 back up and its actually noticeably faster than my 880 (also configd as extender). This surpirsed me because I thought the 880 would be faster because the signals are coming straight from the remote instead of going through the hub also. The only time this will bother people is using it to edit a lot of settings or in instances where you have to scroll a lot. Have 300+ movies and scroll a lot, but learning to use the channel/page down to scroll instead. Which makes the lag more more unnoticable. For pseudotv, this thing is perfect (especially with the numberpad!)

With all that said though, I do like the smart control, but I am going to send it back. I have decided that I want to ultimate in order to control my future philips hue lights and celing fan. The smart control is fantastic for basic stuff, but if I want to go into each devices settings like I can on my 880, it doesnt really allow it. I could assign certain functions to some buttons, but I think I just want the ultimate. Only thing I see that I dont like about the ultimate is the fact that it put the play buttons and stuff at the top of the remote. I undestand they wanted the screen to be in the middle and more accessible, and that you can use gestures on the screen to play/pause/ff/rew/etc. but I would have stuff wanted those buttons at the bottom of the screen.

So thats my review. I like it, but for some, the lag could be a deal breaker for some (especially with the price tag). Eventhough it is slower, if you spend time with it, it does slowly become normal. So whenever I need to edit settings and such, Ill just pick up my controller. I hope the ultimate feels as good as the smart control in my hand. One thing I did worry about with the smart is changing the battery. I tried, but I could not get the battery cover off.

To me, the harmony series is not the perfect remote, but it seems to be the best that out there.
Are you sure you are using the correct "Microsoft Media Center Extender" device?

I had it slow as well but it was because I used one of the wrong MCE devices on the logitech software.

Mines instant now.
Yeah... I believe zag is right here, you need to use "Microsoft Media Center Extender" device... pay attention to "Extender" on the end. Wink
Where are the differences between "Microsoft Media Center Extender" and "Microsoft Media Center SE"? I use an iMon VFD with "SE".
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Harmony Smart Control Remote1