• 15(current)
New Harmony Smart Control Remote
(2014-08-09, 16:31)ben81 Wrote: Can anyone tell me how the response times are compared to the Harmony Touch? Even with all delays set to zero there's still lag left (200-250ms) that just won't go away. Harmony remotes without display seem to have much better response times (650 for example) - how does this one compare? Thanks!

i would estimate it's 100ms or less for IR. if you connect via bluetooth it's instantaneous. i have had a problem with openelec 4.x needing to repair the bluetooth connection that was no an issue with 3.x so i've dropped back to IR. logitech just released a keyboard addon that comes with two usb dongles that i'm going to give a try. the question is whether you can assign keyboard commands to the remote.
The smart control has no delay that I can tell.
I took a punt on one of these the other day @ £69.99 from PC World/Currys. OMG what a superb piece of kit. I was getting fed up with complex input switching on my home cinema system and the crappy remote supplied with my ATV1200, but this beaut has solved all my problems!

I was swithering between this and the Harmony 650, but I'm so glad I opted for this one because the hub/blaster is superb and never misses a beat even with the complex sequence to get my Panasonic HT to switch inputs and devices at opposite ends of the room. Not having to point the remote is also a massive boon.

I was slightly worried about the lack of buttons on the remote, but it's near enough perfect for the stuff I need to do most often like operating TV/SkyHD, navigating the xbmc box, watching dvd/blu-ray discs, and listening to my hifi system. I can fall back to the original remotes or the phone app for weirder functions that I haven't mapped to the harmony remote, but those are going to be rare occasions. This little thing is so much prettier and simpler than the other harmony remotes so has a very decent wife acceptance factor. To be honest, I really couldn't be happier with this thing!
Yeah Smile
I was also beating myself for too long hesitation. Smile
One of the best pieces of hardware I have bought, and design is also great.
I would go as far as to say this is the greatest remote ever built.

And I've tried a few!
@zag - quick question. Starting off - i have a spare flirc that is not being used so this is why I am asking this question.

Do I need the one with the hub if I have a free flirc handy?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
@bry - the simple remote communicates with the hub over RF (radio frequency): it's not an IR remote so it will only work with the hub. The hub does the IR magic so it would be the hub that would talk to the flicr. Also, as far as I can tell both URLs are selling the same thing, i.e. both include the hub. In short, you need the hub!
thanks bobones - ordered.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Have a fire TV with an XBMC version SPMC 12.4.2 installed. Just hooked up a harmony smart control remote and got everything working as far as the remote, except when I navigate to the XBMC home screen to Programs>add-ones and try to select add-ons it won't work. I can navigate anywhere, but Can't select anything using the ok button on the remote or on my android phone. Do I need to change the ok button to something else? Tried changing it to enter with no luck. Appreciate any help! Thanks.
I have assigned "OK (Microsoft Media Player)" and it works as expected, but I am on Win.
You can relearn the OK command from the original remote if you're having troubles with it.
I've had one of these for quite a while but only recently started usage with XBMC. I have mine installed using a FLIRC. I just used the FLIRC device in the Harmony software and it has worked like a charm. The only custom thing I did was assign a button to turn off subtitles. Everything else worked out of the box.
(2014-08-11, 19:31)furii Wrote:
(2014-08-09, 16:31)ben81 Wrote: Can anyone tell me how the response times are compared to the Harmony Touch? Even with all delays set to zero there's still lag left (200-250ms) that just won't go away. Harmony remotes without display seem to have much better response times (650 for example) - how does this one compare? Thanks!

i would estimate it's 100ms or less for IR. if you connect via bluetooth it's instantaneous. i have had a problem with openelec 4.x needing to repair the bluetooth connection that was no an issue with 3.x so i've dropped back to IR. logitech just released a keyboard addon that comes with two usb dongles that i'm going to give a try. the question is whether you can assign keyboard commands to the remote.

quick update for anyone that cares. i still have not seen the harmony keyboard addon available for purchase anywhere near me so i have not gotten a chance to try it. i did recently see a post on the harmony forum about it and based on a replay from a support staffer even with it you are not able to assign regular keyboard commands to the smart control. supposedly the feature request has been forwarded to the developers.

bigger for me though is that the bluetooth bug with OE has been fixed as of 4.1.6 so at least i have lightning quick keypresses no. no perceptible delay. additionally on the off chance i need to do something not programmed into my remote, or i need to type something, i can use the harmony app's keyboard to input it rather than getting out a regular keyboard.
I have just received my harmony smart today. Will set it up with my NUC DN2820.
Ok, so I have set it up. I used Media Center Extender profile.

NUC is working perfectly. I just needed to manually map back and exit buttons to back and rest was working out of the box.
I have set volume up and down to send 3 keypresses for volume.

Also have excluded NUC from power off.

The remote is just awesome to hold. It's the best remote I have used.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Harmony Smart Control Remote1