• 2(current)
New Kickstarter project XBMC Set top box
No PVR integration please. Most XBMC users are using a dedicated PVR server and that's exactly the way it should be. Just keep the box simple and stupid and keep the costs down. What about the performance of the hardware? How does it compare to let's say an Atom or RPi system?
(2013-11-07, 17:32)RockerC Wrote: Doesn't the generally accepted definition of a "set-top box" require the inclusion of an integrated TV-tuner? Well, at least according to Wikipedia, or?

I would have thought that without a real TV-tuner option it would only met the definition of "digital media player", "digital media streamer", or "digital media renderer"?

In any case suggest you quickly change the term on your Kickstarter to "Smart TV media player" o
r something else other than "set-top box" to not confuse too many people.

Thanks Rocker good advice, don't want to confuse people.

(2013-11-07, 22:03)Cassiel Wrote: No PVR integration please. Most XBMC users are using a dedicated PVR server and that's exactly the way it should be. Just keep the box simple and stupid and keep the costs down. What about the performance of the hardware? How does it compare to let's say an Atom or RPi system?

It smokes an RPi, not sure what the Atom system is... Sorry...

(2013-11-07, 21:10)kinison Wrote: Good idea, I would love to find more media players with XBMC built into it. I have a sister in Ireland who would love this, but right now its a pain in the butt to buy some generic android media player, have it shipped to the USA, configure it, then re-ship it to Ireland. Finding something off ebay.co.uk or ebay.ie with XBMC pre-installed would be ideal.

This box will be perfect for her, we are doing everything we can to make it perfect for that exact situation.
Founder of the Qubi Console
Atom: Intel Atom D525. See Arctic MC001 or comparable devices for specs…
A Qualcomm snapdragon 600 is in it nice.

One other thing I would do if you havent already included it is make use of the 5Ghz 802.11n built into the chip, include the aerial or whatever's needed as off the shelf media players with 5Ghz support are a rare thing but it really makes a difference for streaming HD media over a network link to the box.

You may also want to post this on other places like avsforum or avforums as thats where you will find other folks who buy these kind of boxes outside of XBMC community.
Yes we are very excited I will outline more about the Wifi thanks for the advice.
How about playback with output 23,976 hz, will qubi support that ? Or is it limited to 50/60hz like all other android boxes?
(2013-11-08, 13:55)Jönke Wrote: How about playback with output 23,976 hz, will qubi support that ? Or is it limited to 50/60hz like all other android boxes?
Agree. 24p is a must.
(2013-11-08, 13:55)Jönke Wrote: How about playback with output 23,976 hz, will qubi support that ? Or is it limited to 50/60hz like all other android boxes?

(2013-11-08, 14:39)Cassiel Wrote:
Agree. 24p is a must.

I will hopefully have answer for you soon just waiting to hear back
Last I heard under Android 24Hz is possible but not dynamically as XBMC has no control over the Android display driver.

You can only manually set the display output in Android settings but you can if it's added to it output 1080@24Hz but this means the UI runs at this too which might make things look sluggish.

Maybe things have changed or their are ways of working around this (money + software engineers + custom platform).
Yeah but running ui @24hz is not the same as 23,976 output for video.
Without 23,976 support this box is no go for me.
Go with openelec, contact guys at www.omegamoon.com !
Porting Openelec would seriously extend development time. Qualcomm provide all the necessary drivers/software for Android but not Openelec. Plus the media decoding would be a very tricky part as under Android thats taken care of via libstagefright/mediacodec but under Arm linux they might have to start from scratch.

Also part of the appeal of Android platforms is that you have access to other media services, it is not just pure XBMC.

If the project is a success then maybe it's something they can consider in the long run but no way out right.
In user friendlyness OE is sometimes better than xbmc, especially on the part of bluetooth. Pivos already rlses linux images for a long time. I dont think its a real problem if you pick the chipset upon developing a linux based arm box. Support in standard kernels is also growing! Android in the end is not made for mediacenters. To have passthrough you need hacks etc. Anyway I would aim for the best chipset available right now, which will have lowered in price at the time of production starts. In the Snapdragon series I believe thats the 800 series. Maybe to cut cost you can derive it from a UDROID box or something. U also might want to think about a dvb-c tuner built in... Ill come with more ideas later Big Grin
(2013-11-09, 11:33)Starstream Wrote: Porting Openelec would seriously extend development time. Qualcomm provide all the necessary drivers/software for Android but not Openelec. Plus the media decoding would be a very tricky part as under Android thats taken care of via libstagefright/mediacodec but under Arm linux they might have to start from scratch.

Also part of the appeal of Android platforms is that you have access to other media services, it is not just pure XBMC.

If the project is a success then maybe it's something they can consider in the long run but no way out right.

Hi Starstream you hit the nail on the head, The whole point is to provide a box that is more than just XBMC that also lets you play games and access streaming media services.

(2013-11-09, 12:08)menno Wrote: In user friendlyness OE is sometimes better than xbmc, especially on the part of bluetooth. Pivos already rlses linux images for a long time. I dont think its a real problem if you pick the chipset upon developing a linux based arm box. Support in standard kernels is also growing! Android in the end is not made for mediacenters. To have passthrough you need hacks etc. Anyway I would aim for the best chipset available right now, which will have lowered in price at the time of production starts. In the Snapdragon series I believe thats the 800 series. Maybe to cut cost you can derive it from a UDROID box or something. U also might want to think about a dvb-c tuner built in... Ill come with more ideas later Big Grin

The reason I have chosen the Snapdragon 600 is they have actually developed a specific chipset just for media centers/tv's etc. This removes the issues of hacking a phone/table chip to work on the TV. Alot of people are keen to access live TV on the device so it is something we will look into.
(2013-11-09, 13:51)Sam@Qubi Wrote: The reason I have chosen the Snapdragon 600 is they have actually developed a specific chipset just for media centers/tv's etc. This removes the issues of hacking a phone/table chip to work on the TV. Alot of people are keen to access live TV on the device so it is something we will look into.

Are you are able to share the Part Number for the Snapdragon 600 SoC you plan to use? as that will give an idea of potential capabilities.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Kickstarter project XBMC Set top box1