• 3(current)
New Kickstarter project XBMC Set top box
(2013-11-09, 16:44)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-11-09, 13:51)Sam@Qubi Wrote: The reason I have chosen the Snapdragon 600 is they have actually developed a specific chipset just for media centers/tv's etc. This removes the issues of hacking a phone/table chip to work on the TV. Alot of people are keen to access live TV on the device so it is something we will look into.

Are you are able to share the Part Number for the Snapdragon 600 SoC you plan to use? as that will give an idea of potential capabilities.

The chip is the APQ8064M
Founder of the Qubi Console
(2013-11-10, 06:35)Sam@Qubi Wrote:
(2013-11-09, 16:44)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-11-09, 13:51)Sam@Qubi Wrote: The reason I have chosen the Snapdragon 600 is they have actually developed a specific chipset just for media centers/tv's etc. This removes the issues of hacking a phone/table chip to work on the TV. Alot of people are keen to access live TV on the device so it is something we will look into.

Are you are able to share the Part Number for the Snapdragon 600 SoC you plan to use? as that will give an idea of potential capabilities.

The chip is the APQ8064M

Just to confirm for those looking it up the APQ8064M was previously known as the MPQ8064
According to this http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/...600-series the SoC is capable of DTS-HD, but that could be the lower spec'ed DTS-HD HRA and not the DTS-HD MA as contained on Blu-Ray.
Something I couldn't post on my kickstarter page is that I do plan on contributing back to the community financially
What I don't understand are the horrendous shipment costs to non-US countries. Why does no one (or almost no-one) think about cross-calculating the shipment costs of the kickstarter projects to reach a multinational crowd?
(2013-11-14, 17:16)hal2100 Wrote: What I don't understand are the horrendous shipment costs to non-US countries. Why does no one (or almost no-one) think about cross-calculating the shipment costs of the kickstarter projects to reach a multinational crowd?

VAR and duties/taxes must be included for most non-US countries are not free for legal shipping. Complain to your Government.
(2013-11-07, 10:09)rantzauer Wrote: I hope you will include HDMI-CEC support

I'd be interested to know as well whether HDMI-CEC functionality will be present, but at least the box comes with its own remote. As for me, I'd consider the price way too high for what I'd expect to get out of it, particularly if you have to add shipping and importing costs on top. I do wish you guys best of luck, though!
(2013-11-14, 17:16)hal2100 Wrote: What I don't understand are the horrendous shipment costs to non-US countries. Why does no one (or almost no-one) think about cross-calculating the shipment costs of the kickstarter projects to reach a multinational crowd?

Hi Hal,
Kickstarter only allows for one shipping cost for shipments outside the US, PM me either here or through Kickstarter with your country and I will let you know what I can do.
(2013-11-14, 23:38)DocG Wrote:

I'd be interested to know as well whether HDMI-CEC functionality will be present, but at least the box comes with its own remote. As for me, I'd consider the price way too high for what I'd expect to get out of it, particularly if you have to add shipping and importing costs on top. I do wish you guys best of luck, though!

Hi DocG,

Fortunately as Australians we don't get charged any importing duties or tax for any orders under $1,000 so our unit would cost $119 plus $30 = $149 US including shipping to Australia....

For those in the UK you would be up for VAT but no importing duties for orders under 135 pounds...

Hope this helps....
(2013-11-15, 01:57)Sam@Qubi Wrote:
(2013-11-14, 23:38)DocG Wrote:

Hi DocG,

Fortunately as Australians we don't get charged any importing duties or tax for any orders under $1,000

Hi Sam,

seems you've been lucky in the past then, eh? I know quite a few people who've been hit with all sorts of additional custom fees. Yes, for products well below A$1,000, including ordinary electronics products.

(2013-11-15, 01:57)Sam@Qubi Wrote: so our unit would cost $119 plus $30 = $149 US including shipping to Australia....

So it'll be US$119, not $149-$159 as you've mentioned earlier? Or did that include shipping?

(2013-11-15, 01:57)Sam@Qubi Wrote: For those in the UK you would be up for VAT but no importing duties for orders under 135 pounds...

Hope this helps....

To be honest, I am a little confused now as to how much the unit is going to cost. Just to confirm, is it US$119 for the unit itself, excluding shipping and potential import costs?

Edit: So do you plan on supporting HDMI-CEC?

Edit II: Oh, just realized, you weren't talking about retail price here, you were talking about the console you get for backing the project, i.e. you get one if you pledge a minimum of US$119 and it's US$30 shipping (excluding potential additional charges), but it's got nothing to do with the actual retail price. The retail price will be somewhere between US$149-US$159. Did I get this right now?
(2013-11-15, 09:52)DocG Wrote:
(2013-11-15, 01:57)Sam@Qubi Wrote:
(2013-11-14, 23:38)DocG Wrote: I'd be interested to know as well whether HDMI-CEC functionality will be present, but at least the box comes with its own remote. As for me, I'd consider the price way too high for what I'd expect to get out of it, particularly if you have to add shipping and importing costs on top. I do wish you guys best of luck, though!

Hi DocG,

Fortunately as Australians we don't get charged any importing duties or tax for any orders under $1,000

Hi Sam,

seems you've been lucky in the past then, eh? I know quite a few people who've been hit with all sorts of additional custom fees. Yes, for products well below A$1,000, including ordinary electronics products.

(2013-11-15, 01:57)Sam@Qubi Wrote: so our unit would cost $119 plus $30 = $149 US including shipping to Australia....

So it'll be US$119, not $149-$159 as you've mentioned earlier? Or did that include shipping?

(2013-11-15, 01:57)Sam@Qubi Wrote: For those in the UK you would be up for VAT but no importing duties for orders under 135 pounds...

Hope this helps....

To be honest, I am a little confused now as to how much the unit is going to cost. Just to confirm, is it US$119 for the unit itself, excluding shipping and potential import costs?

Edit: So do you plan on supporting HDMI-CEC?

Edit II: Oh, just realized, you weren't talking about retail price here, you were talking about the console you get for backing the project, i.e. you get one if you pledge a minimum of US$119 and it's US$30 shipping (excluding potential additional charges), but it's got nothing to do with the actual retail price. The retail price will be somewhere between US$149-US$159. Did I get this right now?

Hi yep I was talking about the pledge level.
Also here is the link to the customs website if they were charged they were charged incorrectly http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653....edingA1000
Not sure about cec I will be doing a survey and see if many people want it...
Unless you can do some more aggressive marketing I'm not so sure your going to reach your target.

Just a suggestion, if this was for a full production run you might want to re-consider a more limited run like $100,000 or lower if that's possible. Allow the finished units to be reviewed sending them to sites like Anandtech, Ars-Technica, The Verge & for end users who got an initial units to get a feel of how well they work then if the buzz is positive do another KS as a full production run to see if more interest has been generated.

There's a ton of competition out there, you need to get better noticed somehow. I would imagine a lot of folks are sitting on their hands waiting to see what comes rather than backing an unknown too, a good review on the units might dispel that.
(2013-11-16, 12:21)Starstream Wrote: Unless you can do some more aggressive marketing I'm not so sure your going to reach your target.

Just a suggestion, if this was for a full production run you might want to re-consider a more limited run like $100,000 or lower if that's possible. Allow the finished units to be reviewed sending them to sites like Anandtech, Ars-Technica, The Verge & for end users who got an initial units to get a feel of how well they work then if the buzz is positive do another KS as a full production run to see if more interest has been generated.

There's a ton of competition out there, you need to get better noticed somehow. I would imagine a lot of folks are sitting on their hands waiting to see what comes rather than backing an unknown too, a good review on the units might dispel that.

Hi Starstream,

We could have done a smaller production run if I had have gone for a RK3188 chipset or a A31 however we had not been happy with how they had performed so we decided to do something exciting and unfortunately working with Qualcomm doesnt come cheap :-)
Kickstarter does not allow existing units to be sold so I would be limited to one run which is why I have set the limit at $500,000 which is actually only around 4,000 units...
I did a press release on Monday and have an article in Paste Magazine which imdb shared... Also a couple of German Sites and 2 Spanish sites... Not nearly enough though...
It is tough as we see this as "THE" product everyone has been waiting for... But we will keep pushing until the final minute of the campaign...
The only thing I can recommend is that if anyone wants to see this product come to market go to every tech site and tell them you want to see my project featured on their site...
We have contacted all of them however with the PS4, xbox one, android 4.4, new nexus devices and new apple devices they have not needed to any content.
We have just launched a stretch survey with some things to aim towards.
hi all, with 19 days to go, i think this project wont see the day unfortunately...

Problem is, there's so many Android TV box's right now, i mean,
you'd really have to create something that could example, compete with the OUYA for instance...

at $99 for an OUYA, that uses a quadcore tegra3 chip,
and that has a stable XBMC version with Hardware Accel working.

its going to be more and more difficult to compete against the OUYA...
thats my 2 cents...

Thing is, you do have a nice remote idea,
which XBMC doesn't really have yet,
A true dedicated remote (not taking remote control apps into account here)....

I would gear towards creating just remote if i were you.

Partner with FLIRC.TV
and make a backlit remote
with all the functionalities XBMC needs!

good luck
About the remote..
Great feature that it will be backlit...
But maybe another great thing would be to see which button to press before you actually hit a button..
Maybe turn on backlit when tilting the remote ( like harmony one does) ..

And i agree with eskro.. There are many android devices out there ..but not decent remotes ...
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Kickstarter project XBMC Set top box1