Minix NEO-X5MINI
Bought this off Newegg for about $70.

Rockchip RK3066 Dual-Core Cortex A9
Quad Core Mali 400 / 1GB DDR3 / 8GB NAND Flash

PRO: XBMC installs and works fine, just as it does on my 2nd Gen AppleTV and wifes Android tablet. SMB menu navigation is actually faster than the old ATV. XBMC boots up faster. MP3 visualizations are better.

CON: You actually need a mouse and keyboard to navigate, the simple remote control cant actually tab or switch from login/password prompts to the virtual keyboard. With the Netflix app, since you cant access the left menu (which displays all the different genre of content, TV, Kids, Educational, etc) with the remote, its basically useless with the basic remote.
Therein lies the problem with Android tablet as your base OS with apps meant for gestures, Google have an Android 4.x TV platform brewing meant to replace the never took off Google TV platform with apps designed for use with a remote like the Netflix version for GoogleTV.

Hard to say if any of the Android tablet boxes will get updated to that when it comes out but I wouldn't bet on it.
I have been using the X5 mini for a few months now.
The simple IR remote included, is pretty easy to use, and works great!. Just like the apple TV2 remote.

Just enable the: "Remote control sends keyboard presses" - When activated, your keyboard arrows will move the selection on the virtual keyboard. When deactivated, they will move the cursor from your text. - Settings - System - Input devices.

This option is great, when you don't want to use a full air/keyboard mouse. XBMC only really needs an up/down/right/left enter and back keys..... 90% of the time you never type anything in....

The unfortunate part is. This option is only available with the Feb build for the androids with Hardware Decoding....... Not to sure why this option is no longer available on the latest Gotham.... Alpha 7, 8, or 9

ANY takersHuh I would love to see the latest build with the "Remote control sends keyboard presses" option back!

Thanks!
It's always there. You need to switch to confluence skin then change from default view to expert view in settings to find all options.
(2013-11-13, 03:58)black_x24 Wrote: Just enable the: "Remote control sends keyboard presses" - When activated, your keyboard arrows will move the selection on the virtual keyboard. When deactivated, they will move the cursor from your text. - Settings - System - Input devices.

Thanks! But this is a setting for XBMC? Because it doesn't appear to be an option on Android (at least on my phone, technically i'm at work). Connecting a keyboard to setup XBMC wasn't too bad, but once setup I don't need it and indeed the remote becomes all you need.

I'll see if I can dig around in Android for this setting, otherwise the Netflix app is nearly useless.
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/System
Thanks, I will try the expert view!
The libstagefright, while it breaks many things that I dont use, appears to work just fine, even for 1080p video files, thus making this cheapo media player worth money. Buying one of these keyboard touch screen remotes, that should make Netflix more usable.

I love having the default launcher run Live Wallpapers, making this so much better than AppleTV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix NEO-X5MINI0