Choppy Playback
I'm currently launching XBMC from my MythTv Frontend menu so I could play around with the MythTv integration in XBMC 12.2. I really like the interface and navigation, but the playback seems to be real hit or miss. I'm wondering if there are some options I can enable/disable to help out with the choppiness?

Here are some of the details;

Launch a livetv channel and pull up the stats overlay, playback is real choppy showing around 10-15fps. I then pause the channel, fps shoots up to 59-60. Then unpause, and most of the time playback is fine from then on. Fps goes to 29.97, like it should.

When I pop out of XBMC and back to my actual Mythfrontend client, playback exhibits no issues, ever.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

baggar11
What graphics chipset and do you have hardware acceleration turned on?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The machine is running an AMD card. It looks like VDPAU is enabled. Like I said, playback is smooth as silk using mythfrontend. Just kind of random using XBMC for playback.
Unless you have been following the vdpau on radeon oss thread, vdpau is not the right option for an amd gpu.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks nickr. So I should turn it off or try another video card? The system does have an onboard Intel video. Maybe give that a try?
I just wanted to say thanks. I got sidetracked on some house projects and hadn't gotten around to tweaking my graphics situation. But 2 days ago I took out the AMD gpu and started using the built in 965q Intel gpu and everything has been working great. No more choppy playback.

I think I was actually having a related issue playing movies/tv shows with that AMD card too. Every now and then when I would start a movie/tv show, I would only get 13-18fps. I'd have to pause the movie/show and then unpause for it to snap out of it and playback correctly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy Playback0