• 5(current)
Gotham on Debian?
(2014-01-21, 21:04)nickr Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 16:08)rbalint Wrote: @wsipex: Now the packages in Debian seem to be OK. Could you please update the wiki at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...nux#Debian reflecting that a simple "apt-get install xbmc" now instals XBMC on Debian?
Maybe a link to http://balintreczey.hu/blog/introducing-...rom-debian would help explaining the differences between vanilla XBMC and "XBMC from Debian".

Thanks!

can't you do that yourself? I never understood people who ask others to change a wiki lol.
Sure, I can. I just had the apparently false impression that the page is not for being updated by anyone, but mostly by XBMC devs.
I'll go ahead and update it.
I am very confused with this ffmpeg/debian situation. I have been reading the Debian bug page of users asking to have back ffmpeg instaed of the libav libraries and the replys saying it is too hard to have both installed (and also the all out hate on both sides) and that some apps require libav but I thought ffmpeg was compatable with libav? Also if we can install xbmc on ubuntu based distros then how is ffmpeg working since its based on debian? Is there a way of making a script that removes libav and replaces it with ffmpeg for those users who wish to have it? Yes these are very noob questions but as a farily newbie linux end user I dont fully understand all the issues. I have been trying to find a distro that tick all the boxes I am looking for as a small file server, running mdadm for raid, tvheadend, FFMpeg and smb shares, every one I have tried so far is missing something.

One other question (I have asked this on the TVHeadend site without response) would TVHeadend use the LibAV libs, esp with the new version using transcoding? If so would there be an advantage it using ffmpeg?

Thanks, this is not intended to start a war either.
XBMC (from Debian) Gotham Beta1 has just hit Debian experimental. Transitioning to unstable and then testing will probably take a few weeks, but if you run testing/unstable you can install it by enabling experimental repository.
You can follow the package's state at http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xbmc.html .
Please, don't shipt it with libav10.

ffmpeg currently rereturns into debian - use that one!
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Also Gotham beta1 is in Debian Multimedia repo for Sid. It also contains pvr addons built in.
* fritsch fetches some popcorn ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-03-07, 22:52)fritsch Wrote: * fritsch fetches some popcorn ...

* Martijn puts down a case of beer and hands fritsch one
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=188443

well done debian. you created a piece of crap. nobody needs this.
(2014-03-08, 00:04)FernetMenta Wrote: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=188443

well done debian. you created a piece of crap. nobody needs this.

I have nothing to do with this report.
Debian's official packages' start log looks like this:
14:44:31 T:2998331840 NOTICE: Starting XBMC from Debian (13.0-BETA1 Debian package version:2:13.0~beta1+dfsg1-1). Platform: x86 Linux 32-bit

The log linked in the bug report looks like the official XBMC's one:
21:01:33 T:140173132462080 NOTICE: Starting XBMC (13.0-BETA1 Git:Unknown). Platform: x86 Linux 64-bit

I think the referenced thread has been closed too early.
(2014-03-07, 22:10)fritsch Wrote: Please, don't shipt it with libav10.

ffmpeg currently rereturns into debian - use that one!

There are people who agreed to _start_ working on it, but there is only an empty package repository on alioth now:
git://anonscm.debian.org/collab-maint/ffmpeg.git

and no package uploaded. I can't build XBMC against that yet. :-)

I can make and I'm open to making the switch when FFmpeg is in testing, but for now the only option is libav in experimental.
Are there specific bugs you are concerned about in libav 10 beta1?
your best option is to leave it. you pretend to distribute working software but actually you don't. you insist on your policies but ignore ours. XBMC is not developed to run with libav.
you rather deliver crap instead of looking for better solutions. I only can recommend every user interested in XBMC to stay far away from Debian.
(2014-03-08, 08:18)FernetMenta Wrote: your best option is to leave it. you pretend to distribute working software but actually you don't. you insist on your policies but ignore ours. XBMC is not developed to run with libav.
you rather deliver crap instead of looking for better solutions. I only can recommend every user interested in XBMC to stay far away from Debian.

It's in the Debian experimental repository by the very definition of "experimental", he is not pretending to distribute working software. He wants to use ffmpeg but he can't at the moment. People have to specifically go out of their way to use this build, and it has plenty of warnings on it. XBMC itself has never been "bug free". If everyone only accepted a perfect final working copy of software then XBMC would never have made it this far.
@NedScott:

This is the third time in the ffmpeg talks that you absolutely don't get the point. I won't argue with you about it, cause you have proven to me that you are resistant to advice concerning that topic. There is a complete difference in "finding bugs" vs "voluntarily patch those bugs in" by using libs, the dev that has written this code(!) absolutely warns, cause he knows that it will be broken.

Edit:
Besides that, at least rbalint labels the debian software correctly, which does not mean we support them in any way or makes the code better. Patching out the heart of xbmc and wondering why something now stutters is not very smart. The other guy we found on the forum with debian yesterday has in deed used something else.
(2014-03-08, 08:52)fritsch Wrote: @NedScott:

This is the third time in the ffmpeg talks that you absolutely don't get the point. I won't argue with you about it, cause you have proven to me that you are resistant to advice concerning that topic. There is a complete difference in "finding bugs" vs "voluntarily patch those bugs in" by using libs, the dev that has written this code(!) absolutely warns, cause he knows that it will be broken.

Edit:
Besides that, at least rbalint labels the debian software correctly, which does not mean we support them in any way or makes the code better. Patching out the heart of xbmc and wondering why something now stutters is not very smart. The other guy we found on the forum with debian yesterday has in deed used something else.

No, I get the point. The point isn't ffmpeg. The point isn't what technically works or what programming this or that. The point, my point, is to not to disrespect other people. Some other user made a build that is unrelated to rbalint's work and that got FernetMenta mad, and FernetMenta chewed rbalint out. The point is to not get pissed off because someone like rbalint wanted to work on something in the experimental Debian repo. The point is to not yell at rbalint when he's done everything we've asked of him as far as decreasing our support burden and marking his build as different.
Hi guys, recently I switched from Ubuntu to Debian. Now I'm trying to figure out the best way of installing XBMC on the Debian distribution. However, I feel there are no official packages available from XBMC itself without reverting to 'XBMC for Debian' with the special libav library and not the XBMC default ffmpeg. Because the ffmpeg from the official XBMC is fully patched and supported by the official XBMC team, I would really really really want to use this version instead of the one from rbalint (although he did the best he could).

My question, from a noob who just wants a working fully supported XBMC from the official XBMC team, could you please point me to an official package for installation on Debian Jessie/Testing? Or a repository or something? Can I maybe add the Ubuntu one?

Thank you very much for your support.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham on Debian?0