• 7(current)
Gotham on Debian?
Wsnipex, any chance for debian repo in near future?
(2014-03-08, 12:03)giaur Wrote:
(2014-03-08, 11:36)Ned Scott Wrote: In the meantime, it's tucked away in the experimental repo, and I don't really see that hurting our reputation since people using that repo know it's experimental. Plus it's specifically presented as an unofficial XBMC build from a different group of people.
But I see no reason why packages, even for experimental repo are compiled intentionally not as should, this makes everything double experimental. Also Debian Multimedia is intended to be not experimantal, but stable the same as main official Debian repo. This is why I expected multimedia packages to be as stable as Sid packages, not as experimental packages.
A few things:
1. Please don't use the Debian Multimedia expression for http://www.deb-multimedia.o... As it is stated there they are not a allowed to use the "Debian" word and they are independent of Debian.
2. I have just checked and the file you provided in your bug report does not make my package hang, but XBMC exits to its menu when it can't continue playing the damaged file.
https://mega.co.nz/#!TQF0wTyI!nIfHTbZtgV...IWF1ahQy5w
3. a. Bugs in dmo packages should be reported to dmo mailing lists.
b. Bugs in Debian packages should be reported to https://www.debian.org/Bugs/ .
c. Only bugs in offical XBMC (compiled from source) are handled here.
4. Regarding the packages I created and available from official Debian repositories I have handled all the bugs and I'm not aware of any open problem with stability.
Quote:c. Only bugs in offical XBMC (compiled from source) are handled here.

this is not correct. we care about all binaries which are built following our guidelines.

Quote:Regarding the packages I created and available from official Debian repositories I have handled all the bugs and I'm not aware of any open problem with stability.

how can you support any issues regarding xbmc? we are aware of many issues resulting from incorrect build of XBMC.

When do accept that even debian users are not interested in the packages you provide. do us all a favor in doing it right or simply stop it.
(2014-03-08, 17:56)rbalint Wrote: 2. I have just checked and the file you provided in your bug report does not make my package hang, but XBMC exits to its menu when it can't continue playing the damaged file.
I believe you, but please look at original xbmc. It continues to play this file. Note that it's damaged because of bad dvb-t signal and imagine what happens when you are watching live tv - some intereference and xbmc exits. This should not happen, sorry, I think there is no more explanation needed.

And it will never happen with original xbmc. You created packages, thanks for your work (I really appreciate this). but you also broke things. Can you simply treat all of this as bug report in your packages? Because - if not and if you are really forced to compile the way you did it (because of debian policy), I can only reccomend to create unofficial repository, instead of providing packages that don't work as should.

(2014-03-08, 17:56)rbalint Wrote: Only bugs in offical XBMC (compiled from source) are handled here.
Yes, I now really understand the reason. You newer know if bug exists because of packager or xbmc itself.
(2014-03-08, 18:16)giaur Wrote:
(2014-03-08, 17:56)rbalint Wrote: 2. I have just checked and the file you provided in your bug report does not make my package hang, but XBMC exits to its menu when it can't continue playing the damaged file.
I believe you, but please look at original xbmc. It continues to play this file. Note that it's damaged because of bad dvb-t signal and imagine what happens when you are watching live tv - some intereference and xbmc exits. This should not happen, sorry, I think there is no more explanation needed.
Yes XBMC should continue playing damaged stream.

(2014-03-08, 17:56)rbalint Wrote: And it will never happen with original xbmc. You created packages, thanks for your work (I really appreciate this). but you also broke things. Can you simply treat all of this as bug report in your packages?
Sure. I will check original XBMC Beta1, and if the file plays fine I will open a bug for this in Debian. I always do that BTW.

(2014-03-08, 17:56)rbalint Wrote: Only bugs in offical XBMC (compiled from source) are handled here.
Yes, I now really understand the reason. You newer know if bug exists because of packager or xbmc itself.
[/quote]
True, this is why bugs should be reported at the origin of the package. The packagers help triaging and forward the problem upstream as needed.
(2014-03-08, 18:29)rbalint Wrote: I will check original XBMC Beta1, and if the file plays fine I will open a bug for this in Debian.
I can confirm that after compiling with all default settings this file plays fine ( I mean xbmc not hangs/exits etc). I have xbmc compiled with all default settings (I only added --disable-debug and my custom prefix).
(2014-03-08, 18:36)giaur Wrote:
(2014-03-08, 18:29)rbalint Wrote: I will check original XBMC Beta1, and if the file plays fine I will open a bug for this in Debian.
I can confirm that after compiling with all default settings this file plays fine ( I mean xbmc not hangs/exits etc). I have xbmc compiled with all default settings (I only added --disable-debug and my custom prefix).
Thanks for testing that. I have opened a bug for this in Debian. Please keep the test file online until the bug is fixed.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor...bug=741170
Ok, I'm not going to delete this file. Still I think the best solution would be to use internal ffmpeg, however - thanks for support, I hope this bug will be fixed in Debian as well.
After all that no one answered my question LOL.

I was trying to get away from Ubuntu builds but going to Debian but after reading all this maybe its a bad idea?

I do like the idea of a Debian repo at least if we install it should be compilied correctly and then everyone should be happyHuh?
Nothing to say more. You have 2 possibilities: compile by yourself or wait for fix in debian. Or - If you don't plan to use live tv, you are not affected by this bug in debian. All the rest seems to be ok - if not, you can always report bug.
I think Team XBMC is considering maintaining a Debian repo. It just takes time and such. If anyone is skilled in the way of Debian packaging and would like to help then feel free to speak up. Same goes for other linux distros. No promises, of course, but it's always good to know what kind of resources are out there in the community.
If I had the skills I would definitely help out packaging for Debian. I would love to use an official XBMC Debian repo.. And I don't think I'm the only one here. I know resources can be an issue, but it would benefit the XBMC project as they would provide good packages and the end users, as they can enjoy the same support as everyone else like from Ubuntu users.
(2014-03-12, 08:07)Ned Scott Wrote: I think Team XBMC is considering maintaining a Debian repo. It just takes time and such. If anyone is skilled in the way of Debian packaging and would like to help then feel free to speak up. Same goes for other linux distros. No promises, of course, but it's always good to know what kind of resources are out there in the community.

the packaging is the easy part and long done. Its about the infrastructure needed for the debian repo. All this has to work automatically, unless somebody is willing to regularly do it manually.
Most of it is already working and I even did a pov repo for wheezy here: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/apt/debian/stable/
The xbmc build there rather old though.

This just needs more work that I currently don't have time for. And tbh its not high prio for me.

edit: in the meantime users are encouraged to use the mk-debian-package.sh script.
Sounds as if Debian might be on its way to add FFmpeg again to Debian experimental archive at least

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...px=MTYxNjA
(2014-03-12, 10:11)wsnipex Wrote:
(2014-03-12, 08:07)Ned Scott Wrote: I think Team XBMC is considering maintaining a Debian repo. It just takes time and such. If anyone is skilled in the way of Debian packaging and would like to help then feel free to speak up. Same goes for other linux distros. No promises, of course, but it's always good to know what kind of resources are out there in the community.

the packaging is the easy part and long done. Its about the infrastructure needed for the debian repo. All this has to work automatically, unless somebody is willing to regularly do it manually.
Most of it is already working and I even did a pov repo for wheezy here: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/apt/debian/stable/
The xbmc build there rather old though.

This just needs more work that I currently don't have time for. And tbh its not high prio for me.

edit: in the meantime users are encouraged to use the mk-debian-package.sh script.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I don't really know what the formal definition of "packaging" is, but basically we're looking for people interested in helping to get it to work automatically or to maintain it manually, yes? Whatever that's called, then :)
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham on Debian?0