Req Samsung Smart TV App
Hi there
I have been using XBMC for several years now.
I think it is by far the best media center out there.
I recently got a Samsung smart TV, which is great, the only thing missing is an XBMC app.
I have searched the forums regarding this subject, however in every thread i find, the answers quickly shift to alternative ways of getting XBMC on the TV (Plex, connecting a computer, apple TV, etc), rather than to is there a way to actually to that.
From what i can see, currently the option does not exist.
It would be really great if XBMC could be added to a Samsung smart TV as an app, since no other existing option comes close to XBMC.
Seems like it should be possible, if an app like Plex is available.
I hope this happens!
If it is possible to actually port the full XBMC experience to the TV, it would still be a huge undertaking to port it. Consider that XBMC for Android is still being polished and tweaked to be on par with the other platforms, and there are a lot more Android set-top-boxes and powered devices than there are Samsung smart TVs. Doing an entire port just for one brand of TV is not really appealing. I wouldn't even be surprised if Samsung changed their smart TV hardware and SDK for apps between models, meaning the port might not be usable long-term before needing to be reported for another model.

But hey, Samsung did buy Boxee, so maybe that will give you a near-XBMC experience that is built-in.
Xbmc can be installed on samsung Google tvs, but not the non Google smart tvs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Samsung didn't make GoogleTV products and probably wont given their attitude towards Google of late.

LG and Sony are the only two who did, Sony's were first gen and are dead and buried. LG's are second gen and got the update to Android 4.2 so those can run XBMC but in terms of how well not so great from some sources and others say it's okay.

Samsung have a pretty good DLNA media player in their TV's that is also a DLNA DMR which means you can push media to it from a UPnP/DLNA controller, XBMC has this feature as context menu play using once in services\UPnP look for other players is enabled, though it may or may not work with the TV it might one day. You could use an Android or x86 windows tablet running XBMC as the UI to push media to the TV.
Sorry you are right, I was thinking of LG google tvs
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The way I did it with my Samsung TV is to glue a Raspberry Pi to the back of the TV! Cost = £20ish

(1) Install openelec.tv(a cut down Linux with XBMC) on a Raspberry Pi
(2) Power the RaspberryPi from the TV USB sockets.
(3) HDMI lead from the Raspberry Pi to a spare HDMI slot in the TV.
(4) Ethernet cable to Raspberry Pi.

The Raspberry Pi is CEC compatible, so you can control the Raspberry Pi / XBMC using your Samsung TV remote.
I just tried on my Samsung TV. It works great via UPnP/DLNA.

1. Run your XBMC on your PC.
2. Press the Source button on your Samsung TV remote control.
3. Choose the XBMC listed on the menu.
Can you explain how you did that?

(2014-01-01, 04:46)davidliu Wrote: I just tried on my Samsung TV. It works great via UPnP/DLNA.

(2013-11-10, 00:50)Ned Scott Wrote: If it is possible to actually port the full XBMC experience to the TV, it would still be a huge undertaking to port it. Consider that XBMC for Android is still being polished and tweaked to be on par with the other platforms, and there are a lot more Android set-top-boxes and powered devices than there are Samsung smart TVs. Doing an entire port just for one brand of TV is not really appealing. I wouldn't even be surprised if Samsung changed their smart TV hardware and SDK for apps between models, meaning the port might not be usable long-term before needing to be reported for another model.

But hey, Samsung did buy Boxee, so maybe that will give you a near-XBMC experience that is built-in.

Wouldn't suprise me if Samsung went with Tizen for all of their platforms (if it becomes viable)
(2014-01-01, 04:46)davidliu Wrote: I just tried on my Samsung TV. It works great via UPnP/DLNA.

You missed a few steps there.... By default xbmc upnp features are disabled..... You need to enable them in xbmc settings
I have tried this and XMBC does show up, but it only lets me access my files folder and not the add-ons. Is there anyway to access the add-ons?
(2014-02-14, 18:51)Smevster Wrote: I have tried this and XMBC does show up, but it only lets me access my files folder and not the add-ons. Is there anyway to access the add-ons?

Not really as far as I am aware. To get full XBMC on your TV, the best thing you can do is to buy a raspberry pi credit card sized computer an install openelec (an xbmc operating system) on it. You can power the raspberry pi from the USB port on your tv so all wires will be hidden.
To me, a huge part of the greatness of XBMC is its library features. Downloading poster art; downloading series, season, and episode info; IMDb ratings; poster art... Isn't all of that info necessarily lost when you stream with DLNA, because it's not part of the protocol?

I get how DLNA's the current best option, so sure, talk about how to get it working. But it still seems off topic from an XBMC app. Is no one else interested?
Yes that's why XBMC's design is to run from a computer attached via HDMI to your TV.
I'm sure such a client app would be possible already (limited to the file formats the TV does support, until transcoding is added to XBMC). The app could use JsonRPC to fetch the library data and show it in all it's glory - just like XBMC remotes on tablets and phones do. One only has to start developing it. (note that none of the current dev team is interested in doing so as we prefer to port the real deal to new platforms and not "dumb" clients, but everbody is free to do so)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samsung Smart TV App0