Linux Feasibility, help needed (Ambilight like...)
I am at the point where I know what I want to do - but not how...

Setup
  1. I have OpenELEC installed on a Raspberry Pi
  2. I have a LED strip light system (StripInvaders) which is powered by an Arduino and is connected to the LAN and understands OSC commands being sent to him via tablet or smartphone.
Idea
My idea is that XMBC on the raspi sends OSC commands to the Arduino to change the LED strip color. I have seen some XBMC plugins (boblight, adalight, ambilight, etc) that do something similar.
But with the difference: The plugin does not need to address each LED separately but send kind of an average color value of the actual picture on the screen. All the LEDs of the strip would display the same color. And this color value needs to be sent as a OSC command.

Problems
I ssh'd into my raspberry to try to send OSC messages to the LEDs. But the thing with OpenELEC is that they disabled apt-get for stability and security reasons. So I wouldn't even be allowed to update python or install an OSC client. Let's say I would implement and addon for XBMC on my laptop (Windows/Ubuntu) would that ever work on OpenELEC if it depended on a third party python library?

As I have never implemented a XBMC add on I was looking around for existing plugins that I could learn from (or maybe even fork). Can you recommend plugins in particular worth looking into?

And finally: Do you think my approach is feasible? Or does any of you guys has a better idea?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feasibility, help needed (Ambilight like...)0