Aeon Nox - Crashes Apple TV
Hi guys, I am new to this technology so please bear with me. I picked up my Apple TV 2 days ago after spending a good hour and a half with the seller; since then I have been learning as I go.

Last night I changed my Skin to Aeon Nox and it would cause my Apple TV to Freeze Up, ShutDown / Restart. At first this happened at pretty random locations in the interface as I was exploring my new look, but now like clockwork it freezing in the same spot every time. System / Appearance. I cannot get to the menu that will allow me to load a different Skin because the Apple TV crashes just as soon I select Appearance.

I have Google'd this issue and read somewhere that this skin may be too much for my little box to handle, ok I can accept that, but how to I get it removed from my XBMC if I cannot get to the Appearance Menu?

I attempted this for over an hour last night, Waiting after every crash for my Apple TV to reboot. Which was quite frustrating, but each time I allowed more time for the skin to load and sometimes waited a minute before launching XBMC, then waiting till the weather menu had time to fully load before backing out of it then making my way to System / Appearance. I also deleted my Cache which I am not sure if that would help, but I was hoping it would free up some memory.

I have even tried disconnecting the Apple TV box and letting it sit for 3mins or so before hooking it up and trying again. Still no Luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Amanda

The only customization to the skin that I did was configure the Weather app to to show at startup, maybe if I can remove this customization it would free the system up enough to let me change the skin to something more stable?

Problem is; this thing crashes so often that I can't find that menu to tell it not to have weather on the home screen.

just for the record... this skin was crashing before I changed this setting; so I don't think its the root cause, but since I changed weather to launch on XBMC startup thats when it started crashing in Appearance or System every time.
If you can SSH in and delete skin.aeonnox from the addon directory it should default back to confluence skin. I don't have an ATV and don't know the process so can't give instructions! Google is your friend here.
(2013-11-13, 19:20)smiffy1989 Wrote: If you can SSH in and delete skin.aeonnox from the addon directory it should default back to confluence skin. I don't have an ATV and don't know the process so can't give instructions! Google is your friend here.

Thanks for your reply, Given I had to Google what SSH was, and am now looking into how I would do this when I get home from work I think Google and I are going to become best buddies after being introduced to this little box ;-)
Haha, it's a steep learning curve but once you learn the basics you will find that the fundamentals apply to all kinds of fun stuff! You'll be SSH'ing into your ATV from work and using it to bypass your companies proxy so you can get on YouTube before you know it Tongue

Just be careful when your deleting files, ask if your unsure! You don't want to have to restore and lose your jailbreak!
Download the free PuTTy program and using these settings, substituting the IP address with the one issued to ATV. As you can see you can save the settings as a Session so that the next time you login you only need to double click the saved session name.

I'm also not familiar with ATV, so I can't be of any help beyond this.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
(2013-11-14, 02:46)CaptainKen Wrote: Download the free PuTTy program and using these settings, substituting the IP address with the one issued to ATV. As you can see you can save the settings as a Session so that the next time you login you only need to double click the saved session name.

I'm also not familiar with ATV, so I can't be of any help beyond this.

Thanks for that!
I talked to the guy I bought it off of and he said that most of those skins won't work on the ATV box, he also said that doing it myself would be risky and that he would do it for me, but last night I was tinkering around and managed to turn off all the fancy features of the weather screen that pops up first. Doing this apparently didn't bog the system down so far that it would crash and I was able to then enter the appearance menu to remove that pesky skin! Now XBMC runs beautifully.

With how I was feeling already with hating the little air remote that came with my box and now knowing some of the features won't work on it. I am almost thinking I should have went with an android box. I am a little paranoid with connecting my work issued iPhone or my MacBook Pro to this jailbroken device, not sure if it is a realistic paranoia, but I don;'t want to take any chances. I would much rather have a device I can plug a USB stick into with music and pictures than having to pair my other devices to it.

Both of you guys stated you aren't using the ATV, can you tell me how you are using XBMC?
(btw I'm not even close to being a big apple fan, in my defense I didn't even know these little boxes existed till last week...let alone an android box) I just went with a name I know, but is it true the android boxes like G-box don't need to be jailbroke to run XBMC? Are they more stable?

I guess I would want the most stable platform because I am moving 20+hours away from the guy I bought my ATV from and I will have to support it myself.

If I ask nicely he might let me trade for an Android
I've got two Acer Revos an R3700 and an R3610 both running openelec. Both seem to play anything I chuck at them, the 3700 is a bit quicker in some of the menus but the 3610 isn't slow.
Oh, so on an actual computer! Not only am I new to Apple TV, I am new to XBMC and to be honest I am a bit afraid to use a device that would have my personal information in it for this streaming media. Again I don't know if this is a realistic paranoia but a "friend of a friend" has a jailbroke iPad and she gets pop ups sometime that try to get her personal info.

Last night, I picked up an OUYA (CPU: nVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core / Memory: 1GB RAM) last night, it is waaay faster than the Apple Tv, and loads/plays the 1080p movies very quickly. I am super impressed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox - Crashes Apple TV0