Transcoding question - transcode video but not audio...
A bit of background. I'm using a custom CarPC in my BMW which has a custom sound system and well...the sound system is pretty revealing and powerful. I'm using XBMC as a front end and intend to use either PleXBMC or the native Plex client for Windows to access my Plex library from home. The carPC runs Windows 7 and has 4G network access (Verizon. Pretty good bitrates).

Now. This is a full Windows 7 system running XBMC/Plex client/PlexBMC. What I'd like to do is :

- have Plex transcode the video (I set the rate at 3-4mbps in the client), but NOT transcode the audio AT ALL. Meaning, I want the native audio track to come down as is, since the system can decode every format in my library.

- I don't want to use Direct play (which will work fine as such), as then the video doesn't get transcoded either and streams at the full bitrate, which is a waste of bandwidth, since the video is displayed on the OEM BMW screen, which is a 6.5" screen running at 800x480. There's no point in displaying video at 30mbps bitrate, as you cannot make out the visual difference between that and 3mbps from the drivers seat.

- The quality of the video is not important, as long as it doesn't stutter etc, but the quality of the audio is very very important. I want as pristine audio as possible.

- When I set the PlexBMC client transcoding options - the only options I have for "Audio output" are Stereo, AC3, or DTS.

- Stereo gets my audio transcoded to 128kbps mp3 which is unacceptable.

- DTS for some reason gets transcoded to 128kbps mp3 as well. (Actually this is probably because the carPC is outputting to a DAC which them goes into a JBL MS-8 preamp, so effectievly the system outputs stereo as such, and I cannot set XBMC to pass through DTS etc, because they won't get decoded outside XBMC)

- AC3 - works and gets me ~600kbps, which is much better, but I'd still like higher rates if possible.

Is there a way to tell the Plex Server/XBMC/PlexBMC to transcode video to the configured bitrate, but passthrough all audio as-is?
this is not a xbmc question, you'll have to ask plex. There are other media servers that allow you to do what you want though.
Yeah, I guess you're right. There doesn't seem to a whole lot of traction on their forums as such. I thought maybe I'll have better luck here, given the wealth of information.

Much appreciated.
Lookup the 'handbrake' tool for format conversion. It's flexible, easy, and has the power to squeeze your video down while leaving the audio close to source quality.

EDIT: never mind, I mis-read the OP.
Maybe try in the PleXBMC thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92310

The add-on itself might be communicating something that can be tweaked for what streams come back.
Will do.
Or PleXBMC thread on the Plex forum http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topi...-for-xbmc/
Well....not seeing any responses anywhere...

Help?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Transcoding question - transcode video but not audio...0