How to rip 3D blu-ray and tag?
I will soon start ripping some 3D blu-ray's. I know XBMC doesn't currently support full 3D blu-rays and an extrenal player is needed.
For all my 2D blu-rays I have been remuxing them with tsMuxer to .ts files "Batman (1989).bluray.ts" with just video, best audio and english subs.

For external player use and however XBMC might do them in the future what format am I best using to preserve quality (no re-encoding) but stripping the file back to the bare essentials? .mkv, .ts, .m2ts, .iso?? ideally want to stay away from .iso unless there is a really good reason. Oh and DVD/Blu-ray menus are the work of the devil! Big Grin

Also what is the best way to tag them so the skin (currently on Aeon MQ 5) flags them as such?

I will probably using Arcsoft Total Media until XBMC can do the job.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Seeing as know one has replied I will show my findings on the matter.

I ended up using MakeMKV to rip the movie. Selecting MVC option, HD audio and English subs.
I tried TsMuxer, it worked fine but and produced a m2ts file but as it on going in develpoment I wanted something that would just work.

I call the file:
"Batman (1989).bluray.3dbd.mkv"

I kept the ".bluray." tag because they are blu-rays. The ".3dbd." is there to get the 3D cover in Aeon MQ, I don't necessarily use the covers but at least I'm......covered Big Grin

I have tried Stereoscopic Player and TMT5 and 6 for playback.
I ended up using Stereoscopic player as external player with ffdshow filters for HD audio.
I'm using AMD3D output for the video and it works great.

TMT 5 and 6 for some reason were a bit ropey with the .mkv's and didn't play correctly.

I just need find a way to quit Stereoscopic Player with my remote now and I'm all set.
there are a few things here, firstly xbmc does do full 3D play back (as long as you have a 3D capable monitor) side by side 3d works quite nice, although i don't know which is the best form of 3d. Second xbmc 12.2 does not allow one to tag 3D films in the default skin at least although i think xbmc 13 will when you name your file "moviename.3D.mkv" I am using "moviename.3D.SBS.mkv" for side by side 3D.

so the best way I have found to rip 3d blurays in windows is by using dvdfab. the program will give you a nice SBS file which is very compatible with most 3d programs including xbmc...the only problem is that xbmc's gui will get all weird once your tv/monitor's 3D is enabled. but it is watchable in 1080p 3D.

As far as tagging is concerned i have just been editing the titles of films in the library manually to include the words 3d. i have also been adding a transparent 3d png stamp which i place on the fanart to easily see it is the 3d version on the file. Here is a link to that 3d stamp. Image

PS: you could map "alt+f4" to your remote to end any external program
When I say full 3d blu-ray playback I mean a completely unaltered frame packed video stream that you would get from a 3d blu-ray disc off a player that my projector will display at 120Hz using AMD3D.
Basically the 3D blu-ray experience without using discs, like the rest of my collection.

I played about SBS and OU before I get to this stage and found it annoying. I had to select SBS or OU on the projector every time I played a file where with framepacking it's automatic. Like you say the GUI goes all wierd, I just wasn't feeling it. I would rather put in the work now so I can be very lazy later.
I can also play it in XBMC as 2D without having an additional file (I'm not sure if you can do this with SBS) which can be quite space saving when each movie is about 35GB.

I forgot to add I'm naming the files "Batman (1989) 3D.bluray.3dbd.mkv" with the "3D' in the title.
I'm also adding 3D to the title in the .nfo when I add metadata and adding 3D as a genre so I can easily just browse the 3D movies.

I'm currently using XBMC 13 Gotham Aplha 10.

I will have to look into a way of getting my Harmony to do Alt-F4.
(2013-12-11, 09:56)T800 Wrote: When I say full 3d blu-ray playback I mean a completely unaltered frame packed video stream that you would get from a 3d blu-ray disc off a player that my projector will display at 120Hz using AMD3D.
Basically the 3D blu-ray experience without using discs, like the rest of my collection.

I played about SBS and OU before I get to this stage and found it annoying. I had to select SBS or OU on the projector every time I played a file where with framepacking it's automatic. Like you say the GUI goes all wierd, I just wasn't feeling it. I would rather put in the work now so I can be very lazy later.
I can also play it in XBMC as 2D without having an additional file (I'm not sure if you can do this with SBS) which can be quite space saving when each movie is about 35GB.

I forgot to add I'm naming the files "Batman (1989) 3D.bluray.3dbd.mkv" with the "3D' in the title.
I'm also adding 3D to the title in the .nfo when I add metadata and adding 3D as a genre so I can easily just browse the 3D movies.

I'm currently using XBMC 13 Gotham Aplha 10.

I will have to look into a way of getting my Harmony to do Alt-F4.

sounds like you are way ahead of me. i will have to check out tsmuxer...although i might just wait for the stable release of gotham 13 that way i know exacty what the rules for 3d tagging and playback are...i only have 2 3d videos so it is on the back burner for me...so what type of 3d file are you using exactly...im not 100% what is best...also are you saying your computer is what creates the 3d image and not the tv/monitor/projector?
I'm taking a blu-ray disc or .iso or blu-ray folder structure and running it through MakeMKV.
The resulting file is basically a normal uncompressed blu-ray mkv file with some additional data.
When played in XBMC it's a 2D version of the movie.
When played in Stereoscopic Player with the right equipment it plays the 3D version of the movie you would see if watching a 3D blu-ray.
So I have one version of Avatar and it's 2D and 3D.

3D playback in Gotham will be SBS and OU that you can set to auto or manual in the settings or in the GUI during playback.

My projector is set to auto so when the 3D file starts playing all I have to do turn on the 3D glasses and I'm watching 3D.
For SBS or OU I have to go into the pj setting and select the one I want and then change it back afterwards.

I altered my Harmony using MCERemoteWrapper this morning so I can fullscreen and quit the 3D player so it's all working well now.

I think with DVDfab you can output a 3840x1080 SBS file that XBMC will play. It is the same result once watched in SBS....I think. I'm very new to all this too.
(2013-12-12, 16:14)T800 Wrote: I think with DVDfab you can output a 3840x1080 SBS file that XBMC will play. It is the same result once watched in SBS....I think. I'm very new to all this too.

You're correct. At least the Mac version will. I imagine this feature would be common to all versions. Honestly I think using MakeMKV is simpler though, if you have a player with MVC support.

Does anyone know if XBMC supports auto switching of TV/projector to 3D mode?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
No it doesn't but it will do at some point.
(2013-12-11, 05:23)digitaltomj Wrote: there are a few things here, firstly xbmc does do full 3D play back (as long as you have a 3D capable monitor) side by side 3d works quite nice, although i don't know which is the best form of 3d. Second xbmc 12.2 does not allow one to tag 3D films in the default skin at least although i think xbmc 13 will when you name your file "moviename.3D.mkv" I am using "moviename.3D.SBS.mkv" for side by side 3D.

so the best way I have found to rip 3d blurays in windows is by using dvdfab. the program will give you a nice SBS file which is very compatible with most 3d programs including xbmc...the only problem is that xbmc's gui will get all weird once your tv/monitor's 3D is enabled. but it is watchable in 1080p 3D.

As far as tagging is concerned i have just been editing the titles of films in the library manually to include the words 3d. i have also been adding a transparent 3d png stamp which i place on the fanart to easily see it is the 3d version on the file. Here is a link to that 3d stamp. Image

PS: you could map "alt+f4" to your remote to end any external program

The converted Side-by-Side 3D file’s picture quality is good if you choose a right 3D Blu-ray converting application. However, If you want to take raw 3D effect and quality, building MVC MKV files with the MakeMKV will be still the best option although currently ONLY Stereoscopic Player can read and decode the MVC MKV files. For more DVD/Blu-ray digitizing knowledge, visit my site at: http://dvd0101.com.
Talk about necropost!

Anyway you are wrong.

Kodi on Raspberry pi can play mvc files, both mkv and iso.

There are experimental windows builds of Kodi that do too, but as I don't use windows, I have lost track of where they are at.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I can <play> 3D movies on Raspberry PI, but I can't <see> them in the movie list, see here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=256417

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to rip 3D blu-ray and tag?0