HTPC build problems
Hello,
I had a cheap jetway atom and ion box that played everything i threw at it. It recently died so I decided to replace it with something bigger. I have built many pc's over the years but this is my first htpc build. I went with a nmedia 6000b case, an Asus H81M-A motherboard, intel haswell I3 4130T processor, and 4 gb of ram. I have an 80gb ssd for the system drive and 2 Western digital 2tb drive for storage, as well as a 4tb NAS. When I first put it together I ran the driver install disk that came with the MB and I had a conflict with the intel hd sound driver and the realtek driver so I wasn't gettting any sound at all out of the system. I found some updated drivers on the intel site which fixed the sound issue, installed XBMC Frodo and started scanning my libraries. Everything seemed fine when I had it hooked up to a small monitor via hdmi. I hooked it up to my Samsung 55" plasma in the living room and the first thing that happened is I was getting a snowy screen and no video signal, after the machine was fully booted up I unplugged and replugged the hdmi cable and the screen came up fine. I started testing some of my files and some are playing fine and others seem to be playing at about 1 frame per second. The problem files aren't all the same type either some are .mkv, some are .avi and some are .iso. and any time I switch to my dish network box on the other hdmi and then back to my pc the snowy screen is back. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts.
(2013-11-15, 17:39)jacosma Wrote: Hello,
I had a cheap jetway atom and ion box that played everything i threw at it. It recently died so I decided to replace it with something bigger. I have built many pc's over the years but this is my first htpc build. I went with a nmedia 6000b case, an Asus H81M-A motherboard, intel haswell I3 4130T processor, and 4 gb of ram. I have an 80gb ssd for the system drive and 2 Western digital 2tb drive for storage, as well as a 4tb NAS. When I first put it together I ran the driver install disk that came with the MB and I had a conflict with the intel hd sound driver and the realtek driver so I wasn't gettting any sound at all out of the system. I found some updated drivers on the intel site which fixed the sound issue, installed XBMC Frodo and started scanning my libraries. Everything seemed fine when I had it hooked up to a small monitor via hdmi. I hooked it up to my Samsung 55" plasma in the living room and the first thing that happened is I was getting a snowy screen and no video signal, after the machine was fully booted up I unplugged and replugged the hdmi cable and the screen came up fine. I started testing some of my files and some are playing fine and others seem to be playing at about 1 frame per second. The problem files aren't all the same type either some are .mkv, some are .avi and some are .iso. and any time I switch to my dish network box on the other hdmi and then back to my pc the snowy screen is back. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts.
That is the problem with HDMI they only work properly if there is no weakest, and when you first connect to the TV, they have to handshake to connect properly, if they do not, there can be a poor picture, or no picture. If the TV works ok on other HDMI devices using the same connection it points to the graphics card, or driver. Also you can have weird results if the power supply is not up to the job.
All other hdmi devices work fine on this TV and I know my power supply is more than up to the job.
For the choppy video, turn off GPU acceleration and let the CPU do it. Also try an external media player outside of XBMC to see if you get the same behavior (WMC on Windows, VLC on Linux).
Thanks,
Ok I turned off the hardware acceleration in xbmc and I am still getting the same result with the choppy video. I tried playing the files in media player classic in windows and they play fine.? I still cant figure out the random snowy hdmi connection either

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC build problems0