Difference between frame drop and frame skip
Hello,

Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between frame drop count and frame skip count in gotham codec info?
I'm trying to debug a video decoder where there are very few drops, but lots of skips.

Thanks.
(2013-11-16, 15:08)memeka Wrote: Hello,

Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between frame drop count and frame skip count in gotham codec info?
I'm trying to debug a video decoder where there are very few drops, but lots of skips.

Thanks.

Deliberate / Not deliberate.

...At least that's the definition of those terms if the term is used correctly.

For example, there are emulators available for games systems that can use a "frame skip", to skip frames therefore speeding up emulation on purpose so the skip is regular and consisten between frames.

Think of it as 60 fps material running at a constant 30 frames per second for example.

Frame drop, is an unexpected event where a frame isn't rendered/shown and results in a stutter that can generally be annoying (becuse it won't be regular with the same time between other frame being dropped and rendered frames)
You see drops when the decoder gets late and skips when renderer gets late. The latter may be caused by playing i.e 60 fps material at lower refresh rates but also may happen not deliberately when renderer gets blocked for what reason ever.
Thanks for the replies.

The decoding process happens in 2 steps:

1) hardware decoder: decode video to NV12MT format (NV12 tiled)
2) untile and color convert.

Given that in 720p resolution a 1080p video works well (no dropped/skipped frames) but in 1080p resolution there are a lot of frames skipped, would you agree the issue is in the second part? The video is 24fps, and this happens to matter if the resolution is 1080p24Hz or 1080p50Hz.
is the NV12MT untile source code available yet. we would like to add that to mediacodec
Does this mean that media codec is not yet working on the U2?

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Difference between frame drop and frame skip0