cannot connect to mythtv backend
Hi All,

My first post, and first attempt to use xbmc.

I have a mythbuntu install.
Linux MythTV 3.2.0-56-generic #86-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 23 09:20:45 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It is running mythtv 0.27 (which from reading their may be some problems with)
cmyth pvr client is version 1.6.9
update manager shows nothing to update.

when trying to enable livetv I get this in the xbmc,log file:
06:52:21 T:140571490367232 ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: LibCMyth: (cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect: asked for version 8, got version 77
06:52:21 T:140571490367232 ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: LibCMyth: (cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect: failed to connect with any version
06:52:21 T:140571490367232 ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: Failed to connect to MythTV backend on 127.0.0.1:6543
06:52:21 T:140571490367232 ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: Failed to connect to backend
06:52:21 T:140571490367232 ERROR: PVR - couldn't get the capabilities for add-on 'unknown'. Please contact the developer of this add-on: Christian Fetzer, Jean-Luc Barrière, Tonny Petersen

My searching here and the web in general has not helped in finding out the problem here

I do not get any access messages, but am curious if there is a way to test the username/password configured in this addon?

Thanks
Further reading I found "cmyth client for MythTV .27"
Looks like the trick here is not to search on the error messages.

It contains:
this is the version i compiled on my ubuntu 12.04 machine, if it's any use to people.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7618...x-i486.zip

Can someone give details on how to use this (after unzipping)?

Thanks
Ok, did
myth@MythTV:/usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.mythtv.cmyth$ sudo mv XBMC_MythTV_cmyth.pvr XBMC_MythTV_cmyth.pvr.old
myth@MythTV:/usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.mythtv.cmyth$ sudo cp /home/myth/Downloads/pvr.mythtv.cmyth/XBMC_MythTV_cmyth.pvr .
Then went into xbmc, but had the same version
Did not see a way to disable this old version, so uninstalled it, but now cannot see the newer version to install.

Any help appreciated

If I try to install from a zip file, it says dependencies not met
I hsve a copy of the plugin that works with 0.27, will post soon.

https://db.tt/NQCijh1O

Download to your computer, place it somewhere you can find it like your Downloads folder.

Then in xbmc go to addons, add from zip file, navigate to the file you downloaded and add it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks Nick. Really appreciate the help

I have installed it.
Now I get (from xbmc.log)

09:06:18 T:140558210029312 ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: LibCMyth: (cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect: asked for version 77, got version 77
09:06:18 T:140558210029312 ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: LibCMyth: (cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect: asked for version 8, got version 77
09:06:18 T:140558210029312 ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: LibCMyth: (cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect: asked for version 77, got version 77
09:06:18 T:140558210029312 ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: LibCMyth: (cmyth)cmyth_mysql_testdb_connection: mysql_connect() failed: Access denied for user 'myth'@localhost (using password: YES)
09:06:18 T:140558210029312 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
09:06:18 T:140558210029312 ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: Failed to connect to MythTV database [email protected]:3306 with user myth: Access denied for user 'myth'@localhost (using password: YES)
09:06:18 T:140558210029312 ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: Failed to connect to backend
09:06:18 T:140558210029312 ERROR: PVR - couldn't get the capabilities for add-on 'unknown'. Please contact the developer of this add-on: Christian Fetzer, Jean-Luc Barrière, Tonny Petersen
09:06:19 T:140559191496576 NOTICE: PVRManager - stopping
09:06:27 T:140558210029312 NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false

I normally log on with myth, but tried mythtv also, same issue.
How can I find out which user I need to connect to.
Take a look in .mythtv/mysql.txt. the password is in there. User is mythtv. You then need to put this in the config for the xbmc cmyth client.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks Heaps Nick.
That got it working.

A simple solution to something that appeared so hard Smile

Thanks Again.
I upgraded my MythTV to 2.7 and got the same problem. I tried your zip file but when I try to install it xbmc tells me it doesn't have the correct structure.
(2013-12-21, 08:51)CodeSmoke Wrote: I upgraded my MythTV to 2.7 and got the same problem. I tried your zip file but when I try to install it xbmc tells me it doesn't have the correct structure.

What version of xbmc?
I am also using .27 myth, I have changed the password in the mysql database settings, and the backend is running, but cannot connect with xbmc. Any ideas of what I'm missing?
Ahh as I said in the other thread, possibly a debug log (wiki) would help.

Can i ask first though, are the mysql database AND mythbackend set up to allow external connections?
As far as I can tell they are, and I'm working on a debug log now. I enabled the "be able to connect from remote machines" during setup. I installed it as a primary backend so I don't see why it wouldn't set it up for access. Where are the settings for each of these? What I'm trying right now is a total reinstall, and instead of trying to change the password Myth auto creates, I just did a nano /etc/mythtv/config.xml and took the password and am going to just input that into XBMC. Where are the two settings for allowing mysql and mythbackend for remote connections? I believe they both are....

And thanks for your quick response and patience for a n00b nickr
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=211626

How do I make sure that MYSQL is setup for remote connections?
When I do a "sudo service mythtv-backend status" I get that it IS running. The only settings I see for these connections in the GUI setup is where there is a 4 digit code, and that 0000 enables connections from anyone. This is what it is set at now. I'm sure you're correct, I don't think the mysql database is allowing connections to anything but itself. Why would it be setup like this if installed as a backend only? That makes no sense, although I'm sure it's just me....
EDIT: So from within the Mythbuntu Control Cener GUI, when I'm on the sql page, and I hit "ACCEPT" it throws an error "Exception in compareState of plugin MYSQL Disabling Plugin"

Is there a way to check if mysql is up and reachable from another computer?
OK for mysql get onto the server and type
Code:
netstat -tanp|grep 3306
and show us the output. That will determine what interface mysql is listening on.

As far as mythbackend is concerned, I am pretty sure it is in mythtv-setup (which brings up a gui) and the forst section, I think called "General" - there is two spaces for IP addresses, these need to be your network LAN address, not localhost - ie not 127.0.0.1.

I got damned sick of remebering the randomly generated ubuntu passwords for mysql acess and generally stick to user mythtv/ password mythtv

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
cannot connect to mythtv backend0